1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Any stereo buffs here.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm probably late to the party, and I'm sure there are some non-apple products that are just a billion times better, but having all of my music burned to my iMac, and using apple TV in one room on my good system and airport express in another room with a decent headphone amp (along with some good DAC's).........along with airplay and the remote app on my iPhone is absolutely incredible. Ultimate convenience and a wonderful analog-like sound has got to be the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread.

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

On an unrelated note, I recently learned that sliced bread isn't that old of an invention. Late 1920's, according to the History Channel.

3. Prince

Prince Member

There's a new techonlogy on music format now that is billion times better than mp3.

It's called MIDI. Try it you won't be sorry.

;)

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I had no idea . . . it's pretty interesting . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

5. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Please explain... Because MIDI has been widely used since the 80's. It's typically used in music recording and production to send a signal of some sort to a receiver that can translate it. Kind of like the relation between a keyboard/mouse and a PC.

Unless you're joking and talking about music made using generic MIDI sounds, in which case.... Lol, good one. :grin:

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As a serious response, we have Paradigm speakers installed in the ceiling around our house. I connect a Logitech Squeezebox to the Integra system and wirelessly control it from my iPad, through which I can play my iTunes library from my iMac, Internet radio stations, SiriusXM and Pandora.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Is it your wifes? Do you ever sleep at night?

2 people like this.
  8. Prince

Prince Member

was kidding of course :)

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only when Pete and Roger come over.

10. bobrek

Pete and Roger don't get along too well. Simon would probably come over with Roger.

11. Pole

Well, thanks for the serious response. I know there are a lot of music lovers here, but some of the complaints on othere forums ring true here. People love music, but they don't always care if sounds good or not.

I'm absolutely enamored with the convenience in my system(s) now, but I'm also trying to get them to sound good as well (something that can be difficult with digital audio). My wife has given me the "raised eyebrow" when made aware of some of the costs associated with various components, but my stuff is completey budget priced when compared to some of the crap out there (some people will pay over two grand for..........get this......a USB cable). Still, I'm amazed at how great my "cheapo" (relatively) systems are sounding even though my iMac is about the only source I'm using.

Here's a story a came across the other day about how crazy some people are about tyring to get their system to sound good.

http://gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles

12. bobrek

My wife generally doesn't care what I spend for any electrical gadgets as long as the wires don't show. :)

13. raj87

raj87 Member

14. Pole

I have a story about Grant Fidelity. Up until about five months ago, I had always lived somewhere in Texas, and right before I moved, I ordered a different Chinese made tube DAC. On some of the forums, early owners of this DAC were saying it performed better with a different tube, and many of them were advocating a Chinese tube labeled PSVANE......which is sold by Grant Fidelity. I was going to order one from their website, but then I did a bit of research (which is where I found out that PSVANE and Grant Fidelity were the same), and this is where I also found that Grant Fidelity--besides having a web presence--also has a brick and morter store.........just a few miles south of my new home in Calgary. I actually was in their store just a few days ago buying that tube and some cables.

BTW......they mentioned to me that they have a new DAC out with the ESS Sabre ES9018 chip.

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I have a similar apple set up and it's awesome.

Friends can come over and request songs via the remote app. Genius.

16. raj87

raj87 Member

Very nice! I was not aware of a retail location for GF. From the posts I've read, Mr. Grant seems like a nice fellow.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am looking to get AppleTV myself for this exact purpose. Looking forward to it.