1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fry's Electronics Grand Opening SALE!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Mar 16, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

GRAND OPENING sale in Houston. Get the Chronicle for the 8 page ad. Today 8am. GO GO GO GO!

4x CDR for $69 (no rebate)
    12x CDR for $89 ($30 rebate)

Everything in that store is on sale for the opening. Unbeliavable.

Fry's Electronics (10241 N. Fwy I-45) 281-591-3100

Hell, they have a Maytag Neptune on sale. Didn't see any TiVo's though...sigh!

Hell, they have a Umax Scanner for $29.

Easy CD Creator v5 for $44.

Astrodome, Xerobull and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had a friend who went to a Fry's Grand Opening sale at a different location. Be prepared to wait a long time. The way they do their check out lines is by hurding everyone into one line, and at the end of the line, you branch off to whichever cash register is open. For this reason, the line ends up backing out of the store. He told me that he had to wait in line for like an hour at the grand opening, because they didn't have enough cash registers open... despite the fact that they had like 40 open.

He said overall, it was a bad experience, but they had cheap hot dogs and soda.

------------------
    "all your base are belong to us!"
    "you have no chance to survive make your time!"

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

i've been there 3 times. decent selection. so-so prices. crappy customer service (when I returned something their computer was only giving me back 7.25% of the tax instead of the 8.25% that I paid and it took me 25 minutes to get the 1% difference and they weren't even apologetic).

------------------

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Fry's is known for crappy customer service and at times crappy merchandise.

As for CDR's, there are several places you can CDR's that cheap throughout the year. Heck, a week or so ago you could get 200 for free from Office Depot since they're getting rid of a lot of their merchandise (I picked up a StarTac phone from them for about $70 a couple of months ago... sweet).

The deal on the 4x drive is pretty good. Make sure that it's not refurbished. There are a few places you can get a 4x refurbished drive for that much.

The deal on the 12x CDR is good, too. Again make sure it's not a refurbished drive, unless you don't mind that.

Who makes those drives?

------------------
    "Yes, you can touch me." -- Rocketman95 showing he's not only a liberal, but he's pretty liberal with his body... I don't make this stuff up folks, they really say it...

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

that 12x comes in a plain white box so god knows who made it. there were only 3 of those 4x left when i went there on wednesday. forgot who the manufacturer was but not very well known. frys carries a lot of generic crap

the store actually opened in Feb. but they're still hyping their grand opening. they said the first day of the sale it was so crowded the fire marshall had to come tell them to stop letting people in.

BTW, has anyone tried these new "black cd-rs" by memorex? i think best buy has them on sale for $25/50pk

------------------

7. heypartner

The 12x was an OEM in the box, not refurbished. Plenty left and 8x's, too. I wrote down the manufacturer, but forgot. Some company whose names starts with "Ce". Talked to a man who bought 3 of them and said he's had no problem.

The 4x is the "CD-Writer" company. It is not a "white box".

After looking, I opted for the Yamaha 8x Ultra-SCSI for $129. That rox considering the 12x version costs $379. I finally have a freaking Yamaha...woo hoo. And I couldn't pass up that Easy CD Creater deal. That's $30-40 lower than I've found looking briefly on the net. My v3.5 version won't work on Win 2000 grrrrrrrr.

rockHEAD is right! it is worth going for the media. I got 20 Maxell VHS tapes for $22.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited March 16, 2001).]

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's the biggest problem I've had with Fry's and what people complain about the most. The really good deals they have are on generic stuff. The CD-R deals they usually have here in the DFW area are on generic no-name stacks of CD-R's. The kind you buy 200 of and hope 150 actually aren't defective. The same with some of the memory they may discount, too. Every now and then they'll have good deals, though.

HeyPee,

That 12x CDRW you saw was probably a "Cendyne". Most people say these are rebadged "Ricoh" drives. I don't believe they make their own drives. I think even Plextor makes drives for them. One way to get a Plextor or Yamaha is to buy something else... hehe.

------------------
    "Yes, you can touch me." -- Rocketman95 showing he's not only a liberal, but he's pretty liberal with his body... I don't make this stuff up folks, they really say it...

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

10. heypartner

yep, Cendyne. That's it. I figured it was a rebadged thingy. Do they do that when the real Manufacturer has hardware that doesn't pass ALL their tests, and they don't want to support it, yet it is good enough to sell under another name...hmmmmm!

So, is there anyway to tell when Yamaha made an OEM without opening the box??? Do they only use one rebadged distributor.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

The Fry's in Dallas taught me one thing...

The get their name from their products.

You plug it in, it fries.

If you by anything there, get the extended warranty. My mother-in-law has swapped out four pc's there in just 2 1/2 years.

"Want some fries with that?" -A place where you'd normally hear that phrase has better customer service too. You shouldn't have to sit 5 hours to swap out a bad pc.

------------------
    Proud Father of the Rockets' future point guard.

12. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Personally, I goto Electrotex or Electronic Parts Outlet to get my techie gadget fix. I spent over 2 hours in EPO once with a friend of mine. If you want fans, they have any kind you're looking for.

I've never been to fry's, but I was under the assumption that it was similar. It appears to be more PC-oriented though. That would be good.

heyp - good luck with your Yamaha -- I have one and I love it!

I'd be wary of a Cendyne, especially if it's a rebranded Ricoh. Had nothing but probs with Ricohs.

------------------
    What can change the nature of a man?

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think most manufacturers make that known. They want you to think you're getting a SpinZilla CD ROM, when in reality Plextor may make it for them. Several companies use Sanyo, Yamaha, etc. drive mechanisms for their hardware. I'm going to take a wild guess and say Yamaha makes their own CDRW's since they're known for making the drive mechanisms, but I'm not sure.

Here's a kicker : as an example, there are 8x drives out there that you can peform flash upgrades on (simple as running a small program) that will make them 12x drives... some companies bastardize their drives, then rebadge them as something else. Pay for an 8x, get a 12x. Nice. Companies such as Ricoh and Lite-On are known to do this.

Companies that I "know" rebadge are Creative Labs, Cendyne, TDK, Smart and Friendly, HP, and Iomega. Of course there are others. Many companies use the drive mechanisms of Plextors and Yamahas. Those two, in general, probably make the best performing drives out there.

------------------

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Is E.P.O. still on Fondren south of Westheimer?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain and ....

15. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Yeah, in between Richmond and Westpark . . . there's another one, but I'm not sure where it is . . .

------------------
    What can change the nature of a man?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I grabbed the Umax scanner.

17. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

And that’s how you bump

Lol CDRW

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I need more 100mb zip discs to store my Real Player vids.

Jontro, Eric Riley, TMac'n and 3 others like this.
  19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Need to pick up the 512k ram, my 256k is running slow.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member