1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So will Springer be a FA or not?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not that optimistic that social distancing will work well enough for the season to be missed. Though if it does work, I expect MLB will try its hardest to find a way to get in a miniseason.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

After the season whenever that is.

4. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

How many days of service time does he need to reach FA? Depends on how the MLB treats service time for 2020. If they grant a full year of servcice time to all players who remain active for the entire season then he would definitely become a FA.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And if there is no season?

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There will eventually be a season. Whether it starts in August or next year, there will be a season. After that season is played, Springer will be a free agent. Only caveat is that MLB and MLBPA agrees to a new CBA and then all bets are off.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even if they grant a full year service time for this upcoming non-played season?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think at this point, none of us on this board is qualified to answer that question. My guess is that it would be negotiated between the union and MLB.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/1699559/202...king-progress-toward-service-time-resolution/

Major League Baseball and the players’ union have made progress toward resolving the contentious service-time questions for the disrupted 2020 season, putting the parties in position to reach full agreement in the coming days.

The players do not want their service time reduced by a shortened season, knowing it would impede their ability to reach salary arbitration and free agency as quickly as possible. MLB has agreed to grant a full year of service to players who remain active for the entire 2020 season regardless of how many games the schedule includes, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

The two sides have agreed to table discussions on how much service time the players would receive if the COVID-19 crisis results in the worst-case scenario for baseball, the cancellation of the entire season. Both sides desire to play as many games as possible in 2020.

Service time, calculated by the number of days a player is on a roster, forms the basis of baseball’s pay structure. A normal season consists of 186 days, including off-days, and a player’s maximum service time was 172 days.

A shortened season would alter the equation.

The top potential free agent, Dodgers outfielder Mookie Betts, is 102 days shy of hitting the open market. But under the plan tentatively accepted by the owners, he would qualify for free agency even if the 2020 season consisted of only 80 or 100 games.

As the two sides continue to negotiate, their next step is to reach an agreement on financial issues and other matters. The union sent the league its latest proposal on Tuesday. Any deal would be subject to approval by the owners and the union’s executive player committee.

Clauses in the collective bargaining agreement and uniform player’s contract give commissioner Rob Manfred the right to withhold salary in a state of national emergency, which President Trump declared on March 13. But the league has not taken that aggressive a stance, offering a lump-sum advance of more than $150 million earlier in the talks, which breaks down to more than $125,000 for each player on a 40-man roster, sources said.

The parties are still negotiating the amount and payment schedule, sources said. In a shortened season, players would receive the pro-rated portions of their salaries. In a canceled season, they likely would keep their advance money, but the league wants them to agree not to sue for their full salaries.

Any agreement is unlikely to address scheduling matters, including a potential start date for the season, which originally was set to begin Thursday. Baseball is following the lead of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which has recommended against gatherings of 50 or more through May 10.

To make up for lost time, the players and owners are discussing a variety of options, including doubleheaders, the reduction of days off during All-Star week and the extension of the regular season past its scheduled Sept. 27 conclusion.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is no chance the Dodgers owner allows Mookie Betts to be a free agent without playing a inning for the Dodgers (edit) without a new CBA agreement in place. I don't see World Series not being played this year.

#590 Joe Joe, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Happy Opening Day

#591 J.R., Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It looks like MLB may actually agree to award full year of service if season is canceled. Sounds like MLB is optimistic about playing games this year.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course they're optimistic... but they put in the provision that they'll award a full season even if there are no games played. They're postponing sporting events in September/October at this point. Unless they're planning on playing regular season games in November-January, I just find it hard to believe they'll get this season in.

I also do not see players agreeing to wait an extra year before hitting free agency or arbitration. The union will not push back on that.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yup, along with that there is reason to think the Red Sox and Yankees will better in 2021, than they would have been in 2020.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure anything could be said at this point... and you'll find a way to somehow be pessimistic about it.

I do not think the Yankees, or any team, really benefits from a year off. Players in their prime lose a year of prime productivity. Teams with impending free agents stand to possibly lose those free agents. Minor leaguers/prospects have stunted development due to no games... and still lose a year of earning potential.

The Astros won't benefit simply because their best players will be a year older and one less year with the team.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its hard to imagine, I agree. But for a WS to happen, some version of a regular season, followed by the playoffs would have to precede it. Unless MLB thinks way outside the box and starts whatever time we have for baseball with some sort of round robin leading directly to a WS as a result, I dont see how a WS can happen.

An important question to ask is, what is the minimum number of games a regular season must have in order to determine playoff seeding? Obvious you cant have a 3 week regular season to do this, so what is the number? 80 games? A 100? It all comes down to what date it is when its deemed safe to start MLB up again. Too late, and 2020 is doomed.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Yankees will benefit because Judge, Stanton, Aaron Hicks, James Paxton, Gary Sánchez and Luis Severino were all injured. And while they would have gotten most of them back at some point, its never a certainty.

Boston. Sale will be there in 2021. Unlikely he would have in 2020. Alex Verdugo and Dustin Pedroia were also going to get late starts to the 2020 season.

None of the reasons you state had anything to do with the response of mine you quoted.

But ok, injuries happen every year. They will happen in 2021 also. True. But I felt like Boston and the Yankees had above an average amount of them going into 2020. We will just have to see what the story is in 2021.

Its not pessimism if its based in fact. Its reality.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty sure every fan of every contending team to steer it to the "woe is me" scenario which you play very well... even when the team is winning 107 games.

The Yankees were projected to win 107 games this year even with those injuries. All of those players you mentioned are going to be a year older and literally none of them have actually won anything... there's nothing to suggest they have the type of cohesive longevity to ride this out. I also can't believe you literally are worried about the walking corpse of Dustin Pedroia...

There are also going to be players who go from peak physical condition/prime... to not... in the span of one lost season regardless of injury. We've seen it in every single sport work stoppage.

At this point, i'd stick to being worried about how this specifically effects the Astros themselves, and quit worrying about how somehow other teams are getting better... which again, never happens.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I play the woe to every team, not just ours. Steering every team the same way isnt steering at, relatively speaking. Whats with you today anyway? Have to disagree with everything? Some would say you play THAT well.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not really... in this case specifically, you're expecting the Yankees to somehow get a lot better vs. what they would have been this year.

Every team that had aspirations of contending this year is going to be impacted negatively by this.. even if a shortened season is ultimately played, it will have a built-in asterisk.