1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Hopkins was stupid for that late hit in that saints game.

He might get back with us like the boy from Seattle!

Might unretire like marshawn Lynch!

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yet.........

I think Breer's piece is interesting; all of those factors are likely legitimate. But! You don't - or, at least, shouldn't - trade Hopkins from a position of weakness/desperation. That's on the Texans 100%.

Again - and I've said this a lot: the *idea* of trading Hopkins is extremely viable and calling a team and asking their interest level because you lack draft capital should've netted much greater interest and a much better return. Teams are not permitted to talk to Hopkins prior to any trade so his contract demands leaking is on the Texans for mismanaging the situation.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Goes to show how inexperience BoB is at fulfilling his role as GM. Idk what qualifications he had to get the job, but it goes to show how badly our franchise is being run. Scarface keeps saying McNair is calling the shots, but i feel like Cal is taking a hands off approach and allows BoB full power to do whatever the hell he wants.

Rudyc281 and Ottomaton like this.
  4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Brown was 3 years older too.

Don't recall anyone linked to the organization saying Nuk didn't practice well.

Not buying it.

Rudyc281, mikol13, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  6. 1234567

1234567 Member

Power stuggle,
    GM won,
    End of story.

And money matters so I can see their point.

If that story from Phili is true then $$$ has lots to do with this.

Then again, they still got fleece.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. meh

meh Contributing Member

BOB has been a disaster for at least a year now on the job and being lauded for doing stupid things by casual fans. From purely a value proposition, the Hopkins trade actually isn't worse than giving a 3rd for Duke Johnson or 2 1sts for Tunsil or 3rd for Conley or getting a 3rd for Clowney while paying half his salary.

You just never realized how bad those deals were because they didn't involve a beloved player.

Hank McDowell and J.R. like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

most of us have realized how bad these deals have been a long time ago. lets stop acting like this is the first time you're seeing some kind of backlash. bc it definitely isn't

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Who's this "most of us" are you talking about? Because whether it's Texans chatter at work or in many Houston sports media and the people who wanted BOB fired before this trade was basically nil.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

nil? first time around this board i see. that's ok. you have quite a bit of catching up to do

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

When did I ever talk about this board? I said "casual fans" in my original post. I assume people willing to actually talk Texans on a Rockets forum do not represent that subset of fanbase. I usually go to battleredblog for Texans stuff and they've wanted BOB gone for a while too. But outside the internet BOB has been mostly well received by the fanbase.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're posting on this board no? that's where this is coming from

why would people outside the actual houston fanbase matter? they're not around what's going on and are not well informed with what's actually going on. who cares.

you know what's funny though since you're mentioning the outside, when you have the headline from yahoo call the coach an idiot lmao

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/idiot-nfl-coach-lost-best-191716003.html

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Breer's case was that the Texans could not have gotten more than a 2nd and a bad contract for Hopkins because he's a cancer like Antonio Brown was for the Steelers. If that was true then we'd have known it. He'd have altercations with Watson and other players would've turned on him. He'd have basically quit on the team or been benched instead of winning us a playoff game. But even if we assume that is true, that Hopkins truly was complaining behind the scenes, Stephon Diggs also complained about touches and stuff and he still netted a 1st rounder.

donkeypunch likes this.
  14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ok now I'm lost on what in the world you are talking about, since it seems to you the only Texans fans that exist post on this forum everyone else is not a fan. Anyways I have no idea how to even respond to this so we should just agree to disagree.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If Breer said that he's an idiot.

16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

lol NIL? there are literally whole threads dedicated to this topic

17. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

if he such a cancer why would any take him for anything lol

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No... that's not Breer's case. Per the article, Hopkins wanted a significant pay raise - and not an extension but a brand new contract that, per the article, paid him $20MM/year. If true - and if word of that had leaked out to other teams - that essentially made Hopkins a free agent that would cost teams a large chunk of money plus resources, which depresses his value, ie the same thing that happened to Antonio Brown. Brown wanted a new deal, which made trading him harder. All of Brown's shenanigans are irrelevant; Breer's drawing no comparisons in that regard.

Breer then further details why the Texans were reluctant to meet Hopkins' financial demand - they did not think he had bought into the program fully and was a bad influence in the locker room.

Again, that's not what Breer is reporting. Per the article, Hopkins did not practice and the concern was that he was setting a bad example for younger teammates.

I can't - and won't - argue the validity of any of Breer's reporting - I'm just clarifying what it is. I do know he is close with BO'B so I'm guessing that's his source.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BoB leaks sht to make Hopkins look bad and the the trade decision more reasonable. But no amount of bs spins can fool anyone except our shtty owner, some casual fans, and gulliable BoB defenders like scarface.

Diggs was unhappy with his time in the vikings and they still got a better trade haul than hopkins, a superior player. BoB is sht at GM but hes not man enough to admit that he let his ego screw over our franchise. The trade we had to pay half of clowney was stupid, swappin fourth round picks for hopkins is just insane.