1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Oct 6, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Little Yoda is 50 years old, though. So his life spans the entirety of the 1st 6 episodes. Yoda must have known LY was alive.

just a minor observation ... i like the idea of no time overlap better.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was surprised to find that people are mad Mando lost (I thought it was a tie) to Gina Carano. Mando has been taking L's all season. Some of these fanboys are insufferable.

#202 DreamShook, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    J Sizzle and Jontro like this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't think we know how far that planet Baby Yoda was on is from the other places like Coruscant and Dagobah, but even if they were in close proximity Yoda shouldn't be able to easily sense the baby, as it ain't a powerful force user or disturbance in the force at that time.

And we know from the Prequels that the rise of the dark side, namely Palpatine&Vader, led to the Jedi having a clouded connection to the force and their surroundings ,leading to their own demise and not seeing through Palpatine's schemes.

K mf G and Jontro like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It shows it isn't all about battle skills and brute strength......I am positive Mando has other qualities.......

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing LBY is a clone of yoda without yoda's knowledge and while 50 years old...LBY has been in a tube for most of that.

heypartner likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm upset that they talk about how Mando is the best, but he isn't there yet....except when fighting stormtroopers.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I thought it was a tie? And I agree, the point of the show is he's triumphant but not without problems or assistance.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

this episode was a clear brainwash to get us to buy yoda merch, twas ridiculous. anyway, brehs know if the baby yoda dolls will come with the pod or naw?

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Not in Singapore

Jontro likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think too many are assuming he's Yoda's child, we know that it is a normal species (we've seen Yoda and Yaddle) that is not extinct and just really rare.

If Baby Yoda were a clone, he also should be grown up by now, as clones grow up drastically faster (the prequel clones reach adulthood at age 10), unless unaltered like Boba. Saying this because Yoda was a master at age 100, so at least puberty goes by very quick for that species and "Baby Yoda" should naturally very quickly mature in the next years of the series (in case it spans over a few years)

So if he were in a tube for most of the 50 years to grow faster, he'd be near or over his species life expectancy and a grandpa if we go by how fast clones develop.

#210 Yung-T, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Jontro likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just to add to my thoughts:

The notion of feeling a force user's presence when far away doesn't exist in Star Wars under normal circumstances, for example Anakin was literally the Chosen One and no one felt his presence on Tattoine, neither did the Jedi feel Dooku,Palpatine or Maul's dark presence directly. Obi-Wan and Yoda could also successfully go into exile without being found by Vader and the Emperor.

The only cases where it did happen are when there's a close personal relationship, for example between Luke and Vader or Obi-Wan and Vader in the Original Trilogy. And even then they had to be in close proximity (ship flying by, being near Endor etc).

CCity Zero and Jontro like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The show takes places 5 years after Return of the Jedi.

CCity Zero and Yung-T like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Show has been extremely enjoyable to me. This is the type of Star Wars I enjoy, the Creature Cantina type star wars. But then again, I am not the kind of guy to go "comic book guy" on a show.

Really look forward to seeing the upcoming episodes. And season 2. :cool:

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for answering my questions...

I'm sorry I emphasized the notion that Yoda would have known over the course of 50yrs that a fellow "rare species" force user was alive. What actually makes the timespan overlap less fun for me is the future from here. We now know that for another 20-30yrs this baby yoda is still not discovered in the sequels. All this has to fit in with why the sequels still never found out.

So, what are your ideas for how this baby yoda goes undetected by characters in the sequels for so long? (I'm assuming *this* Mandalorian remains the central character, and the series can't do a jump in time beyond his age ... unless it creates a Mando son, again.)

Of course, who's to say this baby yoda lives, and it's just one installment of the life of Mando.

#214 heypartner, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Good question, bit difficult to answer due to Disney's mess of an approach when it comes to handling Star Wars.

Episode VII-IX were from the start planned to be the end of the Skywalker arch, so it'd at least narratively make sense to mainly have protagonists related to them (Kylo being Leia+Han's offspring and Rey having some connection we'll probably find out about soon).
    Poe, Finn, Rose (lol) are supposed to be more of supports for the two main leads (Rey vs Kylo), so having non-force using humans seems like a proper choice to keep the focus on the Rey vs Kylo story that's supposed to finish the Skywalker arc.

Leads to the question of what they'll do after this trilogy is finished. I think they'll continue the timeline and show the events after EP IX with a new trilogy at some point, as things like the past (Old Republic) or events between the other trilogies are better suited for spin-off movies or TV shows.

Seeing how the Mandalorian is set ~28yrs before Episode IX, I think they could set the story up very nicely for Baby Yoda to grow up and play a major role in the next trilogy.
    He should be around 80yrs old during Episode IX, so looking at what we know about the aging of that species (toddler at 50, but Yoda becoming a master at the age of ~100), he'd be either a teen or young adult at that stage.

That would be a great age to make him a protagonist for either later seasons of the Mandalorian or a post-Mando show, plus also a movie trilogy.

With the overwhelming love for Baby Yoda that we are currently seeing, I heavily doubt they'll just drop the character when the Mandalorian ends. Having a next gen Yoda protagonist would be a nice change and could introduce a lot of interesting plot points (being an outcast, searching for other members of the species, following in Yoda's steps etc).

Well either that or Mando turns Baby Yoda into a badass bounty hunter that blasts through enemy lines and overwhelms opponents in close combat with Chinese Kung-Fu, you decide.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

The 4th episode felt more like a Percy Jackson movie, or Hercules on TV, but it was good enough even if it went off the main storyline a bit. I didn't need to see Yoda eating a frog the first time, so for him to do it again, eh, but I do like him sipping a bowl of soup. No doubt. The acting fell off a bit this go and got a little closer to TV series style, so I hope they rope that in a little more. Liked that the expected ending did not go as planned, to just dump Yoda off on the planet, so that was refreshing, yet I don't see how they can continue to have him drag Little Yoda around every episode. But it's clear who the star is so they almost have to run with it and see where it goes. I'll give it a B-.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, you could have helped write episodes 7-8 and probably 9... you definitely know more than the half baked effort on 7-8 so far that we've seen.

I'm seriously starting to question Disney on not using Jon Favreau for episode 7, it'd probably have changed a lot of things but he was pretty tied up with Marvel stuff - I did see he was considering it though at the time and in the running, but fortunately/unfortunately they saved him for this show. I've enjoyed it so far, definitely renewed my interest at least in re-watching 4-6 sooner (I mean I'm always interested in re-watching those but kind of was taking a break after 8).. Especially if 9 sucks then I can just start over 4-6 and try to forget 7-9, haha

Yung-T likes this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Thanks, it reallys sucks to see the immense passion the fanbase has, the insanely deep lore thanks to the Expanded Universe etc and Disney taking this half-assed and arrogant approach.

The Expanded Universe/Legends novels alone introduce so many great characters and stories that Disney could've used for countless movies and shows, yet they threw it all out of the window. Makes it even worse when you see how they didn't have a coherent plan for the very first and most important project (sequel trilogy) they tackled.

I can respect what JJ did with EP VII, while it was definitely an Episode IV clone it delivered the classical Star Wars feeling that many hoped for and set things up nicely.

Too bad Rian Johnson took a dump on JJ's script and decided to do his entirely own thing, you sadly can't fix the mess he created now.
    I heard he's a huge Star Wars fan, but feel like he doesn't understand what people love about it and how to approach characters like Luke. Praying the Rian Trilogy plans are shelved forever.

You should look up some of the fan-made plots for EP 8 and 9, it hurts to see how great this trilogy could've become if it was more carefully planned.

Jontro and CCity Zero like this.
  20. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

It is possible that Yoda was extremely tall for his species. Rearrange the letters of his name all Yoda-style and he becomes D YAO.

CCorn, Yung-T and heypartner like this.