1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Cybertruck - New Tesla Pickup Unveiling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 21, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That’s one ugly vehicle. No way around it.

Yung-T, DCkid and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. hooroo

hooroo Member

when elon smoked too much weed while playing moon patrol...

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It no look good

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's a concept vehicle not a finished product. I like the design concept, it needs plenty of cleaning up towards the back but the front is great. This also isn't a "truck" the market is luxury SUV that people want way more than luxury sedans. Saw Altuve cruising in a G Wagon last night, he isn't going to go for a Model S. SUV is a market Tesla needs to keep it's luxury market secure.

It won't replace work (or even more laughably fleet trucks) and isn't aimed at that. No matter what fake towing capacity they come up with.

dmoneybangbang and KingCheetah like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Just got my sale report back from the Fredericksburg cattle auction last Wednesday, I hauled 15,735 lbs of beef and trailer (about 3/4 of a full load), on hilly highway, so this truck is a total no-go.

Someday they'll get it done. Ford and Chevy are coming out with F150 equivalent electrics in the next year or so, eventually the tech will get to where people other than weekend warriors can use one of these.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think these will be at least as popular as Hummers and they will be definitely be status vehicles especially the loaded tri-motor.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im interested to see the mileage range with a heavy load hitched to it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

I'd also be reaaaal curious to see the upkeep and repair costs after some time/miles. You can take a regular vehicle anywhere and get parts or get it worked on, how many Tesla dealerships are there? Is electric car "mechanic" the next growth industry?

Deckard likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You couldn't haul that with with 150 either. You need a 250 or 350 to haul that much stuff.

CXbby likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Uh, right. What I was saying is even the topshelf 3-motor 80K chingasa couldn't do it.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

people are already working on aftermarket accessories

tesla truck camper.jpg

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The truth is that 14K number was pulled directly from his ass because the suspension, GVWR, etc are not even close to final. I'm convinced he just took the max F-150 (13,200) and added rounded up to the nearest thousand as a design goal.

15. Buck Turgidson

Strap a wooden pallet to the front and call it a grill guard? Bolt milkcrates in the bed and you've got toolboxes?

#95 Buck Turgidson, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't imagine you are going to see Cybertrucks cruising around with those giant arc welding generator sets in the back, or hauling trailers filled with lawn guy equipment.

As much as he wants to position this as a working vehicle, I will be shocked if it is going to be anything more than a middle class guy's toy. Probably a few upscale businesses that want them for image as well.

But if you are having to prove its value to your business on a ledger, where bottom line is the bottom line, I can't imagine anybody's going to consider this.

I think most of his "practical" talk in that little demo was just to convince people that don't need something practical that it projects a manly and practical image - much the way housewives won't buy station wagons, but fall all over themselves for "SUV's" that are effectively station wagons in every sense but the name.

Yung-T, RasaqBoi, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

I get that it would look out of place as a working vehicle, but at the end of the day that entirely comes down to cost. If they can produce a $39k version that saves $10k a year on gas, why not?

18. Buck Turgidson

That's what the consensus seems to be in this thread: rich commuters and weekenders can use this, eventually it'll make a dent in the market (not necessarily this truck but the technology). Let this drive the push forward to make it more usable for everyone.

I guarantee you I will see a Horseshoe Bay Person driving one on the road around here about a week after they're delivered to the closest Austin dealer.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I love the straight lines im so tired of all the round cars on the roads nowadays.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Most trucks are gonna run you at least 60k anyway