1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Vs. Rays ALDS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

*Frenchy's

lw17 likes this.
  2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Definitely think it's critical for Cole to get the team off to a good start. No runs in the first and preferably no baserunners. Incredibly loud crowd. Just kill whatever momentum and confidence they're bringing from games 3 and 4.

Plus during the teams losing streaks throughout the season, they'd always cough up first inning runs and have to play catch up. Can't let that happen against Tampa's pitching. What worries me most is a stray home run, which both Cole and JV have been prone to do this year.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think we’re putting too many expectations on JV and Cole to carry this team.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Hopefully the Astros can find a way to relax, and play loose, have fun and remember who they are. Maybe make them all watch the 2017 World Series run!

I love October!!! Let’s go!!!

5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. You can’t expect to win if you don’t hit any better then what the team is doing now. The way the team is hitting right now the pitchers have to be close to perfect which is unfair to them.

snowconeman22 and lw17 like this.
  6. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I am legit concerned about the mental state of the Astros right now.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

curse of Hong Kong Tweet. No Houston team has won since that tweet was sent out.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Texans won.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Probably more of a hot take than anything but part of me feels like the bats are somewhat unprepared to grind out at bats and do the little things to win - due to the fact that we scored so many runs and beat up on a lot of teams, and therefore didn't have to grind out a lot of wins. Basically we slugged so well that we rarely needed to worry about the simple things like advancing a runner or poking a single to RF, instead of waiting for a pitch over the plate to mash which is sort of what it feels like they are doing.

But I know these guys are battle tested for the most part and obviously understand what needs to be done. More than anything credit goes to the Rays pitching and some bad luck.

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I think the Texans game was already done with when he posted the tweet.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Astros need to get hot early in this game.

lw17 likes this.
  12. CinematicFusion

Benefits of a game 5 win
    1. Sets up our rotation better for the Yankees. Better to have Greinke pitch at home first then at Yankee stadium. Verlander still pitches game 2 on full days rest. Cole opening in New York gives us a nice edge.
    2. Win game 5 and we are battle tested and in full playoff mode. Winning a do or die game gives teams focus. There is a reason WC teams can be difficult in the playoffs, Our bats will break out and we won’t face a tougher pitching opponent then the Rays
    3. The rest will cool off the Yankee’s bats. It’s never good for hitters to be sitting around not taking live games. Throws your rhythm, timing off.

13. count_dough-ku

You sure? I thought the tweet was on Friday?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

Offense needs to show up. They were gifted runs in game 1-2. Down 4-0 last night felt like a lot more then that, this team is slumping bad.

Need a 10 run game like the Rays, Yankees, and even Dodgers have been able to get.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

The batters look like they're pressing, starting to feel pressure instead of trusting in what got them to 107 wins and a giant team OPS. Relax, swing the bats. You're playing Tampa, not the reincarnation of Koufax, Gibson, and Clemens. Play smart baseball, and for Christ's sake, go watch some Tom Emanski videos on base running or something.

I can easily do with more Kyle Tucker and less Reddick or Brantley. Nice to see Springer making good contact.

The guys have all been there before. Time to start acting like it.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

# 2 - totally agree with. Game 7 against NYY really launched us into the WS w/ a big sense of relief and we played much looser against a much better Dodgers team.
    # 3 - I feel like this is just hope. Yankees have had a lot of injuries and I'm sure the extra rest is something they will relish.
    # 1 - Disagree. You want JV/Cole in Games 1 and 2 so you can maximize the number of times you throw your top guns at that lineup. The way it currently stands Cole wouldn't pitch his second game until Game 7 and JV till game 6. This means Cole may never get a second crack at NYY. You will need at least one and maybe 2 wins from Greinke and/or bullpeneers to get to JV/Cole in 6 and 7.

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

It's going to take stupid, stupid money. I'd really like them to find it though.

Sure glad he's on our side right now.

18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

For as much as Greinke costs, both in cash and prospects, it shouldn't be a huge imposition to expect "at least one and maybe 2 wins" from the guy. I agree with what I think is your point---that we can't count on that from him---but this is the reason the Astros picked him up.

I'm done with seeing Miley anymore for the year, absent Cole pitching 5, getting handed a 10-0 lead, and asking Miley to burn innings. Overreaction? Does having a lefty matter that much?

19. count_dough-ku

I'm split on the pitching schedule should the Astros advance. No, I don't like Greinke in Game 1 instead of Verlander or Cole. But I DO like Greinke at home instead of on the road at Yankee Stadium. If the Astros can get that first game, they're set up beautifully for the rest of the series. They get Verlander on full rest in Game 2, Cole in Game 3, and then should it get to that point, Verlander and Cole in Games 6 and 7 at home. Plus they won't be matched up against the Yankees' best pitchers which gives us the advantage(kinda like when Morton faced Greinke instead of Cole or Verlander).

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if it's a mental thing with hitting, this is where Hinch earns his keep