1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

How to Break the Outrage Addiction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

He is not trying to have two conversation as far as I can see, this is not a right or left issue.

If anything the outrage culture is more a left issue.

TheresTheDagger and mick fry like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No reason to bring religious violence into the discussion.

Roc Paint and body slam like this.
  3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

This was my thought as well -- I don't think this is limited to twitter or to Angry White Males or Virtue Signalling Libruhlz. It's by design to grow an audience, and it's often at the expense of actual news that gets unreported or under-reported. CNN, Fox News, NYT, WaPo, MSNBC, BBC, NPR, PBS, and the Guardian have all have long jumped the shark I think to compete for outrage and feel increasingly tabloid. Even DW and France 24 are getting harder to read or watch.

At this point if I really want international headlines from a major news bureau without feeling dirty or talked down to or compelled to share an opinion with the presenter, I go to NHK News. About half the content is Asia-centric and/or developing world coverage, and even there, there is almost always some bit that stokes Japanese interest, usually with regional maritime disputes or US Marines in Okinawa spreading something that is not freedom to underage girls or anything related to oceanic environmental issues way more prominently featured than they would be somewhere else, but the format is very old school.

NHK is obviously not without bias, but it at least attempts to present all these things soberly as news, dry, without commentary, with the only not-actually-news being the occasional long single-camera edited feature with a soothing Japanese English voice-over to break up the talking heads about something cultural like the state of traditional inns near hot springs or the indigenous monkeys that play in them.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seriously? How can you say that? What bullshit.

I'm outraged.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While there is a lot more outrage, some things simply deserve outrage.

To sit and act like things are alright when the house is on fire is far worse than any outrage about it.

As for outrage on little things, look, people have a right to say whatever they want to say and others have a right to respond to it however they like. I get tired of people, as @CometsWin said, throwing around their racism and sexism and their homophobia and then getting mad because what they said got insults back their way. Yes, this is how the world works. You can't go around throwing insults around and not expect to get hit back.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lol half of hannity/O'Reily/Carlson's bread and butter for the last decade was about minorities 'gettin too uppity'.

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Yes, that one extreme end. I get it that you see it from that lens, the most problematic and the one that is most associated with the "outrage culture" label. There are other type of responses from outrage emotion that are healthy and beneficial. Let's not put both under the same umbrella.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You're parroting contemporary social media slang to signify factional alliance or aversion, which is part of the problem you're claiming to resist. Also do you remember when equal pay, labor rights and racial integration were controversial enough that publicly advocating for them would get you harassed or literally murdered by your neighbors or local law enforcement? The only way to express support for or incrementally advance these ideas was through symbolic gestures or awareness campaigns that dipsticks like you now falsely characterize as virtue signaling or white knighting.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Look at the racism in this post... this user specifically groups white men into a group because they hold disdain for them, as though they are not part of the overall group of people complaining about stuff on the Internet. Way to show your hand, Comets... we all suspected but this post confirms how racist you are. Replace white man with Jews and you're sounding like a Nazi. You assume there is some white hand controlling things and that because there are some whites with power you have to go against them all. What about the blacks in power... what about the black president we had for eight years? That represented a huge shift from the past and you're trying to take us back there with your caveman thinking. You're an idiot if you seriously think in such basic ways and you're perpetuating racism with your nonsensical, anti-intellectual posts.

Pistol Pete likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If anything the outrage issue has been on full blast with forty years of talk radio. How old are you anyway?

11. CometsWin

Tell me about the Jews, the "white hand", and Obama. Godwin's law indeed. There's so much funny in you talking about if you replaced angry white guy with Jew since Jews are an actual target of angry white guys. Talk about idiotic.

[​IMG]

I'll continue with my factual, very sensical, reality based posts and you continue with your white genocide warrior cry baby nonsense.

Neo-Nazi website founder ordered to pay $14M for troll storm

He tweeted hate at her. She sued. Then she met him
    Her tormentors hung bananas in nooses and berated her online. After a storm of hate, here's why a hate crime victim met one of her online trolls in person.

#31 CometsWin, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

I agree but I don't think the poster was doing that.

Yes it can be beneficial but it can also be destructive so it cancels out IMO.

13. biff17

biff17 Member

I am aware of that and I am old enough to have experienced it in all forms.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Are you on drugs?

Silent_Bob likes this.
  15. CometsWin

Oh, definitely. It's the only way I can find the energy to respond to your troll'ish behavior in thread after thread.

16. CometsWin

This the mountain vs the mole hill of two wrongs don't make a right. False equivalency.