1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Marteen

Marteen Member

If you were in charge of the Astros, do you re-sign Cole or let him walk?

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I know what fans are gonna say, it's not their money.

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

It depends on what the market is. If the Angels try to give him $40 million AAV or something crazy they should let him walk. I would resign him if the deal is 4-5 years at 33-35 million per.

everyday eddie and RKREBORN like this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Technically it is

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pay that man his money!

But there's a budget, so he'll likely walk, we'll take our comp. pick. and then beat up on him 5-10 times a year (if he signs with the Angels). ;)

Jeff gets paid the big bucks. I'll let him do his job & trust him.

6. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I think its too simple for Cole to just take the top dollar this off season. I believe his relationship with his teammates & management, and being part of winning franchise will mean something at the end of the day.

7. Major

Major Member

This just isn't how it works, especially given that it's his biggest opportunity to cash in.

Just look at Morton, who everyone loved and who truly loved and bonded with the Astros and only wanted to play for them or retire - and then went to Tampa Bay. Cole isn't taking a discount to be here, and the Astros aren't outbidding the top bidders. The Astros are going to lose stars over the next few years. Keuchel and Morton were last year. Cole will go next year. And there will be more after that.

8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

This is exactly why I think he ultimately stays with the Astros. If you just saw the postgame he pretty much just discussed all of that. He would have to weigh leaving a once in a lifetime situation to go home and play for a team that is light years behind the Astros organization. Ultimately I think he gives the Astros a slight discount and stays. Players around the league would kill to play for the Astros. This is pretty much what it must’ve been like for the Warriors the last few years.

9. the shark

the shark Member

In my opinion you do what you can to sign him.

Would love to have him, JV & Greinke for the next two years while you have a majority of their core together but I know this is probably a crap shoot. If you have to trade Greinke to free up some $ to resign him I'd do it (given Cole tells them he'd resign if they can come up with X amount).

If he wants to go back to CA (which I think may be the case) I would certainly understand as that's home and where family is. Right now Altuve and Bregman are the only contracts after '21 (not counting arbitration players). Would try to resign Springer. CC is gone once he hits FA.

After '21 this is a strong core to build on:
    Bregman
    Altuve
    Cole
    Springer
    Alvarez
    Tucker

RocketRed4life and bcast89 like this.
  10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Very different situation with Cole though vs. those two guys. Cole is only 29, which is the perfect age to pay a guy a huge contract vs. Morton and Keuchel who were older. Cole hasn’t been injury prone like Morton, and Cole is nothing like the type of pitcher Keuchel was. Cole is a flamethrowing high strikeout pitcher vs. Keuchel who relies more on weak contact. The Astros will certainly value Cole much more highly than they did those other two guys.

11. the shark

the shark Member

Morton signed with TB because the Rays were willing to sign him to a two yr deal and the 'Stros were only willing to give him one. Yes he wanted to be here, but he already had the ring and TB was willing to pony up more $$.

c1utchfan925, joshuaao and vince like this.
  12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’m in the trade Correa for prospects and sign Cole camp.

If it’s the choice between Cali and Houston be sure and bring up the tax savings. I’m sure there is some loyalty to the organization that helped him meet his potential. He knows he wouldn’t have likely gotten there had he been traded elsewhere. That’s got to count for something.

c1utchfan925 likes this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

That's the only answer I can give. In Luhnow I trust.

Seriously, though, Gerrit, we made you, and you'll never be on this good a team again. Give us a friendly discount, so we can continue to surround you with Cy Young winners and MVPs and RoYs and feed you the best 17-course meals of data and analytics while we crank out a few more championships. You can go back to California in a few years just like JV will go back to Detroit in a few years. Stick around for now.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Exactly. Someone else is going to be willing to pony up more money than the Astros here too, even if he wants to be here, and hopefully he will also have his ring. At the end of the day, the fans are making an emotional case, while the Astros are going to make a financial one.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Using that logic, the fans are already paying Verlander, Greinke, Altuve, Bregman (among others) for the foreseeable future. The fans can’t afford to pay all those guys and Cole and Springer and Correa and Miley on the open market.

biff17 likes this.
  16. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

He gone

raining threes likes this.
  17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

but those aren't direct parallels, not even close. when was the last time lunhow let a player of cole's caliber walk in the middle of his prime? morton had shown clear signs of wearing down each of his two seasons here, nevermind that he was already entering his year 35 season. keuchel held out for major money, on top of the fact that he showed significant regression from his cy young year in addition to numerous injuries.

JV, bregs, altuve - all in their prime, all resigned for significant money. cole may very well leave for more money but the notion that the astros simply won't pony up to keep him is frankly meritless.

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I find it funny some fans view this as Cole vs Correa, as if there's a choice between them. Neither guy is staying, and the Astros are fully aware if this.

The Greinke trade all but confirmed Cole being a goner.

astros99 and vince like this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If we win a another ring, I would find it hard for reasons not to resign the man.

magichat281 likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

JV is very old and was never gonna get a long term deal. Bregman was team controlled for many years, and Altuve also has team control left.

If Cole was gonna accept an offer the Astros were comfortable with it would have happened and Greinke wouldn't be here. This franchise wont engage in a bidding war.

Marteen likes this.