1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. vonbock

vonbock Member

Remember what we gave up for him. Still not worth it.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He will help himself a lot by running a bit more to keep D's honest.

DD

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He started hot and was throwing accurate passes all along the field, some receivers dropped them.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This was not a good game for him, come on.

DD

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Most of those passes were short and weren’t going anywhere

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

There were dropped passes, oline was sht, playcall was sht, and he got sacked.

Coupled with an extension on a center that can't snap the ball correctly, mismanagement of time clock and so on.

The coaching staff on this team is just disgusting and in my opinion literally holding Watson from achieving greatness.

That or i can't tell if our franchise qb is sht b/c of a sht coach

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So none of his poor play was his fault? I love Watson as much as any Texan but the excuses for his poor play need to stop. Don’t know why some feel the need to defend his mistakes no matter what. He’s young and he’s growing, there will be some mistakes and that’s ok

YaoMing#1 and UTSA2step like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

like i said, i can't tell if it's b/c of Watson playing piss poor or b/c of an incompetent coach. I rather blame the coach cause he has proven time and time again that's he's hot garbage.

U think the last touchdown vs the Saints was a product of BoB? Watson has shown he can overcome incompetent coaching and take matter into his own hand.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

No, he did not have an amazing "Deshaun Watson Game".

He shouldn't have to every ****ing week.

We had the running game going, yet every time he dropped back 5 steps (sometimes 3) there was someone hitting him in the face or he was scrambling because of the blitz. That's just zero respect for the OL, they knew they could get to him at will, so they did. We gashed them on runs *because* they were blitzing so much.

Imagine this QB and skill position players with a competent gameplanner, playcaller, OL schemer, etc....And then a competent DC, secondary player acquierer....maybe even with some tolerable special teams coaching thrown in? That'd be gravy.

Can you? I can. It looks like a really, really good football team.

jay_09, UTSA2step and everyday eddie like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t get that “Watson playing piss poor” from the post I quoted.
    I don’t like O’Brien as a head coach or gm. Easy to blame but not everything is his fault.

I think Watson is an elite talent but he still has some flaws, can’t just hold everyone except him accountable.

11. Buck Turgidson

Watson is in no way perfect, but BoB is the constant over the last few years. Which do you think is more of the problem?

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

100% I think O’Brien is more to blame. That doesnt mean solely to blame when Watson plays poorly.
    He knows he needs to get rid of the ball faster and he knows he’s important and shouldn’t take big hits when avoidable.

Not trying to knock him but he’s still got some work to do to be on the Brady or Mahomes level.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We have a oline that can't block for more than like a sec coupled in with sht playcalls. No one is opened, Watson has to make the heroic play and then bam he gets sack.
    Forcing Watson converting 3rd and long multiple b/c of sht playcalls and lack of discipline is just disheartening. Putting extra pressure on a qb, when the main point of being a hc is to make life easier for his qb.

Like i said b4 it's hard to fault Watson for playing poorly when BoB is the one directly involved with the game plan and offense. 13 points for one whole fking game, who do u blame: Watson, HC or the enemy's defense?

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s had time to throw, he’s also been hit quick too. But just to act like he has no time isn’t right.
    I agree O’Brien gameplan is garbage but if y’all don’t want to see fault in Watson, that’s on you. I don’t get why he alone gets a free pass.
    Like I said I want him to be elite, the best in the league, but at this point he’s no where near that.

15. Buck Turgidson

...the OL coaches, the OL scheme, the OL drafting, the OL lineup, etc....

At some point this OL cluster**** has to come back onto BoB, right?

And yes, I agree, BoB could also call better plays and DW could execute them better in order to occasionally bail out the cluster**** of an OL. Word.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

All that being said, he could get quicker with his reads and decision making. He could be smarter about getting down when he runs. He could not lock into receivers.
    He could do all those things and the team still lose because of O’Brien; which is sad being a Texans fan.
    In no way am I putting the majority of the blame on Watson, I’d just like to see him clean up some of the quarterback traits that will make him better.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's hard to hone good habits when u are literally mauled as soon as the ball is snapped. This game alone, some of the defenders had a free path to take out Watson. A great coach will have design a play in case that happens, BoB's plan seemed to b let Watson pull something out of his own ass and hope for the best. Watson has shown he can be a hero, it's just i feel like under BoB offense, it forces him to be that hero wayyyy too many time. Every drive is a pain and grueling task, nothing comes easy.

We have a sht ton of wide receivers, yet in the big games. BoB game plan is for Watson to throw to hopkins over and over, with a sprinkle of running it down the middle.

Hard to fault Watson for execution if the playcalls are legit sht, and oline is sht right?
    We have tight ends, but in BoB offense, they don't exist. tbh the last great TE that I remembered was reliable for us was Owen Daniels, thats ages ago.

UTSA2step likes this.
  18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Seems to me that he doesnt get up for games like these....he has always played great against good team in prime time games and big games...but...in games like these he always down plays the competition.

BOB is holding him back.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He needs to take the dink and dunk plays early and often to duke and the TEs. That with Hyde running the ball will open up the deep passing later in the game.

And that’s on coaching.

Watson does stuff that is incredible and only the Special talents can do but the easy stuff needs to be cleaned up.

He’s great at protecting the ball but he needs to start protecting himself.

The Oline is better it really is and I get that him holding onto the ball is part of his style but he can tweak that and become even better and score more.

He’ll get there the guy works hard is smart and is a winner but we have to remember this was only his 26th game. Guys still young and already amassed over 50 tds and over 6000 yard he’s a beast but still needs work.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I guess I agree with O'Brien. We got the win. In the early part of the season, I couldn't care less about style points.

We're one bad defensive call away from 2-0.

I'm not going to complain. We'll see how next week goes, when we play the Chargers, who looked bad this week, too. You know, the team that some picked to go to the Super Bowl, and that everyone had penciled in as a loss for us. I'm sure if we lose that one, the world is going to burn down. If we beat them with style pointa, I expect everyone to be jumping for joy around here, you pessimistic a holes.

TheFreak likes this.