1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Major

Major Member

Absolutely. It's gotta be so great for their fans to have an actual offense for once. I'd have them as co-favorites with Clemson and Alabama for a national title right now. They really didn't have any major weaknesses.

gucci888 likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No idea. I imagine that the visiting band will be moved back to the lower bowl when the current south end zone expansion is done.

DonnyMost likes this.
  3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Soft

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd argue that the previous seating situation for UT students was one of the reasons DKR had such a tame atmosphere. We sat in the north end zone when I was in school and it was difficult to sustain any type of volume when the sound traveled across the field toward the open south end zone. Moving the student section to the temporary south bleachers during the Strong years only made things even more anemic inside the stadium.

Now that the students are right on top of the opposing team's bench the atmosphere has gotten much better.

tinman likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Well, yeah, that's great and all, but clearly there was some mismanagement or lack of foresight if there is nowhere in the lower bowl to accommodate visiting fans and/or their band.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Texas had 5 possessions in the 2nd half: 4 Touchdowns and 1 FG.

I think it's very likely we'll see Ro Jo play all year as a RB and then maybe redshirt next year once Bijan Robinson & Ja'Quinden Jackson get here. Does anyone know if either of those guys will enroll early?

tinman likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Johnson just looked more agile than Ingram. I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks a Jamal Charles like run this year.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya not sure how you move Johnson back even when guys get back. Actually hope Herman finds ways to get him more involved, kid has looked good.

11. Hustle Town

We didn't goof it up. It was completely intentional, and it's been happening for years. Why should a visiting team's band or fans get better seats than our fans or students? This isn't uncommon. It's just typical outrage over nothing.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Other fans hating on UT? What else is new?

From the reports, UT not having AC in the visiting locker room is pretty shady, though. That's a legit criticism.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If you read the article they admit goofing up the student section apportioning, I realize that moving the visitors was intentional, however, it seems to be a corner that UT painted itself into with poor planning. And no, I don't think this practice is as common as you let on. Normally visitors/bands get into the lower bowl but typically in a corner/endzone or some other less desirable location (provided there are multiple tiers of seating).

14. Hustle Town

The BI article isn't accurate. LSU agreed to an allocation of 3,000 seats and to have their band/fans sit in the upper deck. Only freshmen were sitting in the endzone last year, so it's not like they had to move that many students around. As far as I'm aware, the only goof with the student seating is figuring out the shift back to first come, first served. And if it's not common, that's too bad. I have no problem with it and would expect the same visiting other stadiums.

15. Brando2101

I can see how you might think that given you're used to seeing all the empty seats at TDECU Stadium in Houston but there is actually a pretty big demand for college football in Austin so it's tougher.

Frank Drebin and Hustle Town like this.
  16. Brando2101

University of Texas athletics director Chris Del Conte is refuting the commentary after he checked in with the facilities staff following the reports.

"The comment today about lack of air conditioning in our visiting locker room is the first we’ve heard of any issues in that area," Del Conte said in a statement to the Texas media. "We provide one of the best visitor setups available and are proud of the efforts we put forth in hosting our guests. Our facilities staff did not receive any complaints from either Louisiana Tech or LSU, and we’ve confirmed that our air conditioning in the visiting locker room is in good working order."

Hustle Town and tinman like this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe LSU turned off the AC thinking it was the light switch

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm glad they finally made a statement. Claims like this should be fairly verifiable, and it's weird how it comes out two days after the LSU game with no complaints from LA Tech over a week ago.

19. Brando2101

I think they were trying to defend why so many of their defensive players got cramps on the field.

Hustle Town likes this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member