1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MystikArkitect

Wait...UT was calling themselves DBU?

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Best game I have seen in a while. Observations: LSU looks great. Perhaps best LSU team in decades. Texas has a good chance to win the Big 12. LSU might be in the playoffs if they can beat Alabama.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

What does DBU stand for? Dumb Butt U.

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I gotta hand it to both teams. Good game and love the way Texas responded time after time. That 3rd down play was the game tho smh gotta get that stop.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow that was some horrid defense on both sides.....

That dropped TD pass was the difference in the game.

Wow.

DD

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They had 3 WRs with 100+ yards. Your best shot is hoping for a blown blocking assignment, tipped pass, or something. But a disappointing loss given the multiple opportunities we had.

The secondary was going to take their lumps early in the season and well they did in historical fashion. Shore things up for conference play and you still have a shot IMO.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LSU wasn’t DBU either

8. Major

Major Member

I think the best option there was to put 7-8 guys about 10-15 yards deep and let them complete a 10 yard pass and then tackle the guy. If you gave them an easy short pass, they probably take the free completion.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So much for DBU. Corners need to grow quick. But on the bright side, our run defense isn't Maryland-level bad, so that's an improvement.

tinman likes this.
  10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Football is a funny game. As fans, we often want coaches to be bold and play to win instead of resorting to conservative play-calling. Herman did exactly that tonight and came up 0/3. Unfortunately, 2 of those opportunities were 4th and goal from the 1, including Ingram dropping a wide-open pass for a TD that ended up being the difference in the game. The third miss was the third down blitz. The team played well tonight, but LSU was simply better. Burrow was a monster. The coaches have their work cut out for them before OU when it comes to coaching this team back up. The talent is there, it just needs some refinement.

tinman likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No way OU is as good as LSU. Time to fix things and bounce back

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Wow, I’m glad I was at the game instead of reading the cancer from @BMoney and others in this thread. Quick takes:

-Texas OL had some miscues primarily at the end of both halves but was solid against a strong front 7
    -The CBs lost basically all of the 1v1 jump balls. You can see the experience difference with LSU’s guys versus ours. Like with OL, I’m in the school that DBs shouldn’t play as a freshman or RS freshman. Development is going to take time, but the talent is there.
    -The DL can stop the run, but they’re not good enough to get consistent pass rush. This is partially a talent deficiency. Graham and Roach are just average. Coburn is young but talented.
    -The coaching and clock mismanagement at the end of the first half was unforgivable. I don’t want to see that again, ever (watching BOB and the Texans mismanage is bad enough).
    -Orlando’s defensive gameplan wasn’t good enough. We needed more consistent pressure on Burrow and didn’t bring more than 4 guys for most of the 2nd half. Doesn’t make sense. I didn’t have a problem with the house blitz on 3rd and 17 when a sack would have impacted field position too. Burrow just made a play (see also: Darnold jump pass in the USC game a few years ago)
    -The offense put up 38 points on a great defense and was humming in the second half, even converting when we were set back behind the chains. The slow start was regrettable - too many home run balls by Sam, no execution in the red zone. Herman and Beck have to set up the offense for success here.
    -Ingram looks like he’s playing hurt. RoJo played all facets of RB well and should get more touches. I’d like to see us be able to run more, but we were able to score regardless.

This team could run the table in the Big XII. They’re good enough and just need to focus on steady improvement. Some of the games earlier in the season could be shootouts (e.g. Okie lite) until we figure out defense. I think we have more talent than OU in several key areas and match up well. Easier said than done but it’s not time to panic. LSU might go 11-1 with a loss @Bama (maybe).

Frank Drebin, mtbrays and gucci888 like this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

tinman likes this.
  14. Newlin

Newlin Member

15. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

They've done this for every visiting team since CDC took over AD duties. There was a similar story about it last year. Not sure why it's being brought up again.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn’t new. The visiting band was moved up there when the student section and UT band were moved to the same sideline last year.

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

It is cool. It’s our stadium and our rules. I’m glad we’re neutralizing opposing fans and bands.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's new to me, I wasn't aware of this. Does any other university in the country put the visiting band in the upper deck, or is something that only happens at UT?

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Texas is back! -2015

Texas as is back baby! -2017

Texas is officially back baby! -2019

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Can’t argue with you there either but then again LSU had an answer for everything last night. They looked damn good.

raining threes likes this.