1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Correct. In Texas, you can't sell a gun to an individual if you know they are going to commit a crime. That is pretty much any state. Otherwise anything else goes.

2. Space Ghost

There are states that do not allow the ignorance clause. If the weapon is used in a violent crime by the purchaser (within a certain period of time), the seller can be held liable.

The trouble with a 'catch all' universal background check is that it will not cover lending or gifting. In addition to universal background checks, this loophole needs to be covered.

Its pretty simple. Your gun; Your responsibility for owning, operating and transferring.

biff17, B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We agree on this.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Kudos to Kroger, especially for calling out for stronger background checks...

Nook likes this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

They bribe politicians with a lot of money.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The republicans,Trump and NRA and the followers say it’s a mental health issue. Ok then.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-...g-firearms-because-mentally-unfit-11567540321

Then you guys should have no problem with increased background checks. Right?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

biff17, FranchiseBlade, Xenon and 3 others like this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Make FFL holders (gun dealers) do person to person transfers for a nominal fee. All they do is log the gun in, hand the new buyer the background check form, make a phone call for the background check, and log the gun out to the new buyer.. Part of why people don't sell their guns through a dealer is they charge stupid prices for it because they don't want that business. They want you to buy their guns in the store.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

Nook and AleksandarN like this.
  12. Space Ghost

Im gonna have to disagree with you on this one buddy. If someone could pay to ensure their information was not kept, people would gladly pay that $30.00 transfer fee. The second your name and that serial number are entered into that computer, you have officially became the owner of that gun in some database stored in a dark corner.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Not all FFLs charge $30. Some charge $50 and I've seen even higher. I believe Carter's Country is $40 for instance. If you are selling a $200 gun that stings. Make it $20 bucks across the board.

With current law there is no incentive to bother going through an FFL in this state. Even if your gun ends up being used in a crime you get a phone call from the FFL you bought it from or maybe an ATF agent. You tell them you sold the gun years ago. That's the end of that. The number of guns in this state that have sold person to person make it very difficult to enforce.

"Oh yeah.. I sold that gun years ago... before the law changed."

I don't have a problem with eliminating person to person sales, but I would like to see the FFL transfer fee regulated at the same time. Give people less of a reason to do a person to person sale.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nook, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except there is no database. The 4437 background check only transmits your personal information to the ATF to ask if you can legally own a gun. There is no information transmitted to the ATF about what guns you've bought, or how many guns you've bought. No serial numbers, no gun types, no information.

That information only remains in hard copy in the gun dealer's log book and the hard copy 4473, both of which stay with the dealer until they retire.

The ATF has no idea what or how many guns you own and they can't determine based on your name. The only way they have to track is by looking at the serial number on a gun in their possession, seeing who the original gun manufacturer sold it to, who they sold it to, and so on, sequentially. As soon as it becomes a private transfer that chain is broken.

There is no possible way they can track guns attached to a name. They can only trace chain of ownership of a serial number.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Local near miss?

17. Buck Turgidson

The former Marine is said to have an extensive mental health history, records show.

Gee, I wonder how he got the guns.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Only fake libs get owned. Real liberals don't have anything to worry about...

19. Nook

Nook Member

I recently had an uncle during lunch tell me Texas doesn’t need less guns or better gun control laws.... that Texas needs to find God like Governor Abbott said.

With a straight face I asked my uncle if that tree fell on Abbott because he hadn’t found God.

I was told I was off base and being spiteful, how could I say such a thing about a terrible accident.

I called the waiter over and ordered two shots of vodka. My uncle told me he didn’t drink. I told him both were for me.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Man Scott Stapp has fallen on hard times.