1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Laremy Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

56.1%
  2. NO

43.9%
  1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's not worth getting too much into the building in the NBA vs NFL argument, where in the NBA you can win with 2 great players. But IMO that Morey quote is pretty universal in the major sports -- ironically NBA superstars ARE actually worth paying a premium for, but in the NFL and MLB you have to be more careful and you MUST have young, cheap talent to win.

That's the thing, though, if Watson does get hurt, we are now setback even more because we don't have 3 of our top picks for the next two years. This roster was not a LT away from a virtual guaranteed title -- it still has holes and potential holes for the next couple of years.

It is much better for this year, I'll say that, I just hope OB doesn't botch it. I absolutely get the urgency to find a LT, but I think we might be feeling this one in a couple of years.

2. raining threes

Young franchise LT's cost more.

It sure is going to be fun watching Watson dropping back to pass having his blindside protected by a guy that has given up two sacks in 800 pass attempts. This should allow BOB to really open up the offense, instead of having to scheme around/worry about Watson getting killed.

Think about this Davenport could give up 2 sacks and multiple pressures in a quarter. That's worth two 1sts for me and Stills plus a 4th/6th is worth the 2nd in 2020.

3. raining threes

If you dont get a LT Watson will get hurt and you will have nothing. Look at the OT's last yr and Watson's health.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep; they're paying for their incompetence, sure - but it's a price they *had* to pay. All these fans can't jump up and down mad they were passive in free agency and the draft and then get upset when they actually make an urgent - albeit, late - swing-for-the-fences.

5. DieHard Rocket

I understand that and agree. This is more than about this one trade though. OB has been here 5 years now, and the line has been an issue the whole time -- it's disturbing that in that time they ran out of town a pro bowl LT and really haven't produced an offensive lineman worth noting. That points to a roster building and/or development issue. The rest of our line is still questionable, though hopefully Howard and Sharping can make a difference. But if they don't, you now are still at least a couple of good o-lineman away from a *good* offensive line with little draft capital to improve there. O-line is more about the unit and less about the individual.

I'd feel a lot better about this trade if say, we had at least one other above average starter on the line. I'd say Fulton is about average, you could then get away with trying out a couple of rookies at the guard spots.

I'd also feel better if they hadn't botched the Clowney situation and gotten at least a 2nd for him, whether this summer or next offseason.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

1st round picks don't get paid with likely the biggest contract for tackle in in 2020.

Which is why, I reiterate my previous posts, don't complain if a Texan star gets injured and they have no one to replace him because they traded all their draft picks away. As long as you can accept that it's all good.

Nook likes this.
  7. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

Maybe this can make yall feel better......

8. Hey Now!

While the point is valid.... you don't replace injured stars with draft picks.... You do what every other team does when one of their best players goes down - you hope you can coach around it.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

Every team in the NFL - hell, every team in every sport - has a long list of players that got away. I will cut them *some* slack on Brandon Brooks - not much, but some. But the way they fumbled the Bouye, Brown and Clowney situations..... Inexcusable.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  10. DieHard Rocket

For sure, but the draft record under OB has been less than stellar to replace those players that got away. I think they're hitting strongly on about 1 pick per year which isn't very good.

Losing any one of Brown, Brooks, and Ben Jones might have been okay but to lose all three and never adequately replace them until now is inexcusable.

Nook likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It was a ridiculous overpay. He's not worth that many picks. There are cheaper ways to get a competent LT.

Thus over time this team will be worse for it.

Nook likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Yep. And here's the thing... Letting Brooks and Jones walk..... OK. Let's give them that because they were not All-Pros here and they had veteran stop-gap QBs who maybe you hesitate to invest too heavily in the OL for fear it eats your cap - or something. BUT THEY HAD DESHAUN WATSON WHEN THEY TRADED DUANE BROWN! That, to me, is indefensible. Just - flat-out organizational malpractice.

I'll also say, as bad as Brown was, not franchising Bouye was maybe as bad. That, too, was organizational malpractice.

Nook likes this.
  13. Pringles

Pringles Member

Brown. Bouye. Glover Quinn.

14. Hey Now!

Eh... Quin happened on Kubiak's watch and... yeah, sure - Quin over Ed Reed all day. But I understood the Reed grab, in theory.

15. Mr. Clutch

And O'Brien was never fired for letting those guys walk.

16. Hey Now!

He wasn't the GM. And the Brown mandate, I'm sure, came from the owner, right?...

17. Mr. Clutch

He worked together with the GM. I don't give him a pass. He got what he wanted with Hoyer, Mallet and others.

I don't know the whole Brown story but that's possible

18. SuraGotMadHops

Such a perfect way to describe the way this front office does things.

Nook likes this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't like the cost we paid for all this, but I expect the Texans, after this weekend's moves, will be better than they would have been if those moves had not been made. I'm not sure what that actually means in terms of relevance and number of wins, though.

Nook and Hey Now! like this.
  20. Hey Now!

And, I think they're a much more interesting team, too. Adding Stills could be one of those under-the-radar deals that pays off well. I really like that they saw an issue - WR health - and addressed it.

everyday eddie and MadMax like this.