1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think Urquidy having 2 very solid games against decent teams is probably causing the Astros to not press on getting a starting pitcher. Not a bad position to be in since they can deal from a position of power this way.
    I think if Urquidy can produce quality starts then we can whittle away until peacock comes back and if we need a 4th starter, we could have the both of them combine for a start

raining threes and awc713 like this.
  3. jayfree

jayfree Member

Exactly... so give us Thor for Kemp and call it even ;)

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

MLB trade deadline: Six teams with most urgency to get a move done https://t.co/rkhPfvRGnT

— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) July 29, 2019

5. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I just think it’s crazy for teams to be looking at certain player's just because of 1 outing before the trade deadline. I heard yesterday on radio that Luhnow and his scouts don’t even go to games to watch players they’re interested before trade deadline. It’s a year round process for them, not just 1 or 2 outings.

6. Major

Major Member

Agreed - it's insane that anyone would change their valuation of Robbie Ray based on yesterday. It's similarly insane if the Astros change their stance on getting a SP based on 1 or 2 starts from a rookie. These kinds of attitudes seem more fan/media-driven than team-driven.

7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. This idea that Robbie Ray is now more desirable because his last game he had zero walks against the lowly Marlins in a game he lost because he gave up homeruns to Miguel Rojas and Brian Anderson. Whatever! The pitcher Lunhow gets needs to be able to get guys out in October, is that Ray? I don't think so but I'll trust his process. Twitter Bob stirring up interest because of one game in July is laughable.

everyday eddie, Tomstro and mikol13 like this.
  8. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

ITs beyond crazy.. also its crazy how a team will wait until the last day to realize they are sellers our buyers,,

everyday eddie and Tomstro like this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Its really the pain of 2016 when we didn't make a move that sticks out as why we probably need to make a move again this year. The team is good enough to win without a move, but the shot in the arm wouldn't hurt. Question is, will any improvement be worth the cost?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  10. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i think i seen where every team that has won the world series in the last years has added a player at the deadline (And that player was critical in the team winning the world series), not saying you have to make a trade, but it you can get a # 3 pitcher (it would be critical in the playoffs)

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If any starter is doing something to minimize the odds of dealing for a starter, it is Wade Miley looking like a capable #3.

Huncho Bean, Sppy1, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

Random is random but the MLB network has the best babes in all of the sports networks.

Don't watch that much but I am never disappointed in the talent.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Miley is the reason Astros are only looking for 1 starter. Not sure Astros opinion on him has changed lately.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think not only are GMs not willing to overpay for injury prone, inconsistent starting pitchers who only play every 5th game, they also have begun to realize the true value of prospects and are not willing to give them up. So the market is being pressured from both sides.

Upthread someone mentioned $20M in surplus value for Stroman, which sounds about right, but they assigned an $8M value to the 2 prospects going to Toronto; that’s not close. 2 highly drafted, high ceiling SP prospects having good seasons are worth closer to $10M apiece.

That’s why I don’t think Luhnow will have any trouble getting a decent starter like Ray or Bauer for 3 prospects from their 2nd group.

15. Jeremy Williams

1 starter, 2-3 relievers, 1 catcher.

16. Jeremy Williams

What I take away from it all is that each front office has their own talent valuations on players. All of these fantasy baseball farm system evaluations are only a potential shot at what value an organization assigns to a particular player.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There’s also more pragmatic teams and fan bases now.

They all acknowledge it’s a long game. Band aids and quick fixes no longer en Vogue.

18. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Robbie Ray and guys like him aren’t going to put a team over the top. The only real playoff stud out there is Bumgarner. I just don’t see any of these other guys being worth giving much up for. The team can role with Wade Miley as the #3 guy and I’d feel pretty comfortable with that. You get a guy like Bumgarner to come and start game 3 and then be available out of the pen in Game 5, pushing Miley back to Game 4. Also, Bumgarner is a change of pace from JV and Cole. That can’t be understated. I really hope Luhnow can get that deal done.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  19. SemisolidSnake

That's a painfully small sample size to hang championship decisions on. Makes me uncomfortable. It's all we've got, unfortunately.

I have a lot of faith in Hinch and Luhnow, and if a move is not made to acquire a pitcher, I'm going to presume that it just wasn't in the cards based on what they've looked at that nobody else in the world has seen.

Then again, baseball never fails to confound me. Our team, not batting at full strength, will beat pitchers we might want to acquire, so what's to say other top teams wouldn't beat them as Astros? The rejuvenation factor of coming to pitch for the Astros does seem to be real, though, so you could get a better pitcher just by bringing them here. At the same time, rookies like Urquidy will just go out and have impressive performances against good teams. Hurts me head, so I'm not going to judge when August comes.

Major likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.