1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 11, 2019.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Astros were still on the All Star break.

SemisolidSnake and King1 like this.
  2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Jesus Jeff. If there was a game that slapped you in the face and said we need a solid starter it was tonight fartbar Valdez lost us this game in the first. Cole/Miley/JV. With those guys we will be in the game just about every time. Spot 4 with the **** is a toss up. Spot 5. Just mark us down for a loss.

3. Buck Turgidson

Kept the AS's out due to the travel and time constraints on them, had a fully rested bullpen for Valdez's start; they treat JV's ASG outing as a bullpen session, they get to break up JV and Cole with Miley in the middle. That's why they lined up the rotation like they did coming out of the break. It's just one game.

eta: oh, and this was the first of 14 straight games before their next day off.

#143 Buck Turgidson, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Rock Block likes this.
  4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Doesn’t change the fact that spot 4 and 5 in the rotation are crap. Peacock can certainly come back and fill one of those spots more than adequately. Spot 5 on the other hand is a disaster now. Who in our system can viably hold down that 5th starter role. Hell I would take Mike Fiers at this point. He did a better job than Framber.

I’m not saying mortgage the farm for an arm. Going into the playoffs we have one of the best 1-3 and peacock could start that 1 game 4 in the ALCS or WS. But if we could pick up the likes of Stroman without having to give up Whitley or Tucker I think it is worth looking aT. Tucker and others for Scherzer. That’s a pipe dream and too much $$

5. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Tucker at first??? LOL

6. Buck Turgidson

Hinch knows this, you know this, I know this, Luhnow sure as hell knows this.

They'll get another pitcher or two. Patience.

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

That's how bad I want White sent down. The AAA club has experimented with Tucker at 1b this year though. Can't say how successful that way.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Give him an offseason. I bet he will be a decent one by next spring.

9. Buck Turgidson

Or not?

Martin: 4-1
    Framber: 1-3
    Urquidy: 2-0

It's the lack of innings, not the W/L, that is killing the back end of the rotation.

everyday eddie and desihooper like this.
  10. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

Sneed saved us again. Let’s hope he gets a start

HTown2017Champs and texans1095 like this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

You didn't redeem thyself

12. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Tucker has played 2 innings at first base...

Not much of an experiment.

13. SemisolidSnake

Just give him one of these. He'll be fine.

[​IMG]

14. HTM

HTM Member

Trade for Bumgarner already. This rotation is winning anything. Not much going on after Verlander/Cole. I know we can roll with Verlander/Cole for games 1/2 but we still need a 3rd starter for the playoffs.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...why do you think Bumgarner is a better option than Miley?

16. HTM

HTM Member

He is an ace who has won multiple world series as the guy and I think he could come here and produce at a high level. I think historically he has been pretty nails in the playoffs too. You'd prefer Miley over Bumgarner?

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As of today, I would. Miley has been a much better pitcher in 2018 and 2019. It’s great that Bumgarner has been an ace and pitched at a high quality, but hasn’t done much the past few seasons .

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  18. SemisolidSnake

There's so much fire here to get a 4th and 5th starter, but the offense still didn't score any runs last night. Yes, we need pitching. It's a real problem. But, the game is not even close to over because your starter allowed 4 runs in the first inning. The Astros bats only put 4 players in scoring position last night. Hey, if you lose the game because the other team scored 5 runs and held you to 3 or so, then fine. You gave it a go and got beat and your pitching made it a little difficult to pull out the win. But nothing? From a lineup with this amount of talent? Most of the lineup is back, so no more excuses about AAAA scrubs. I continued to be flummoxed by the extreme highs and lows the Houston Astros bounce between, as I have been for decades.

19. HTM

HTM Member

Verlander wasn't doing so hot when we grabbed him either. I think there is something to be said for pedigree and change of scenery/joining a contender.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It's possible MadBum getting traded get rejuvenate his career, but Verlander had a 2.31 ERA in his last 11 games/74 innings pitched before getting traded. He was already pitching like an ace