1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

68% of ______ __________ do not believe U.S. has responsibility to accept refugees

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 11, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think he would stat out of politics
    Nobody is against helping refugees. They are against them becoming Americans

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He would? I'm pretty sure Jesus was killed because he didn't stay out of politics. I think Jesus put the plight of people above whether it was politically convenient or politically relevant.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And why would this tribalism, resulting in a disregard for vulnerable people from other countries seeking refuge here, be more pronounced among evangelical Christians rather than other groups? And why would this disregard have increased since Trump became president?

You may not find these questions worth seeking answers to, but I sure do.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The same reasons both side of the political spectrum have asinine ideas. The whole modern concept of tribalism is about defending your tribe's belief, regardless of reason. Evangelicals find liberals godless heathens, so therefore any belief they have is inherently wrong. They will automatically take the opposite stance.

We could take the rest of time to discuss how each side bickers different arguments of said subject ... instead of finding common ground that would help both.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Then you dont know the Bible. Jesus wasn't killed cause of politics. He was killed cause he claimed to be the son of God.

Romans didn't really care

cml750 likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, I understand it very well, I would instead say your definition of what is political and what isn't is very very narrow.

Especially considering he lived in a time where religion was very much intertwined with politics,.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Son of Man actually. And it was due to politics as Jewish hiearchs were threatened by Jesus' message which ran in contradiction to theirs and their authority over the Jewish community.

It's that questioning of Jewish traditions that led to them taking it to the Romans for a trial that led to his crucifixion.

I very much doubt had Jesus touted the status quo, he would even be discussed today as his influences through his actions ultimately led to his bodily demise.

To say that evil doings in today's political climate are above the human embodiment of God shows your hubris that not only do you think Jesus is too dumb to understand today's social climate, but that you in fact know better than an all knowing entity.

I personally think you're a moron.

Jayzers_100, JayGoogle and mdrowe00 like this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pujkjpppplollipop jlkjk
    There reasons for killing him maybe about politics. That's interpretation. But his teachings weren't political

9. conquistador#11

For Jesus the poor and children were everything, These guys would just call him a commie and a social justice warrior libra.
    He had a temper and it only came out when people took advantage like profiting in the house of his father. About staying out of politics, Jesus did say Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to god that things that are god's. You could say he would stay out of politics . But by that same token , today's politics should stay out of Jesus. Manipulating the teachings for their identity politics in the Southern "christian" states would unleash Jesus' temper. I imagine it would not be a pleasant sight. Dude could wake the dead. I could see him whipping Sessions and Mitch unconscious.

It's a shame because there are good evangelical denominations that have called out this bs but they still get buried with the Tv evangelist. The Tv Baptist "preachers who profit are just as bad. The U.S and European Catholic churches need massive clean up.
    Jesus was love. Dehumanizing individuals is the opposite of that.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m not sure the two (finding common ground vs pointing out how either side is standing in the way of finding common ground) are easily separable.

On the issue of wanting to provide safe haven for the poor and persecuted, you’d think there is a fair amount of common ground between liberal progressives and Christian evangelicals. That common ground can’t be found until there is an honest recognition on how each side is ignoring the values they share for tribalistic reasons.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eh...

Yes he was. Jesus wasn't political in the sense that he never said "This is the government you should adhere to or not" but his message was very political.

The Jewish leaders considered him a radical influence that would disrupt their authority. The fact that he was executed by crucifiction means he was killed for crimes against Rome, not "God" or the Jews. There are a lot of different historical theories about what exactly he was charged with by Pilate. Some historians have suggested he was ultimately charged and executed for a political uprising that occurred (that he was likely not a part of) as a way to send a message. Others have suggested that the Jews accused him before Pilate of urging Jews not to pay taxes to Roman occupiers.

FranchiseBlade, JayGoogle and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It doesn't even get to that point.

There is no internal debate about whether to vote Trump or the democrat nominee.

There is a poster on here that talks about the sky raining people on judgment day by doesn't accept basic teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

13. justtxyank

Evangelicals don't oppose immigration/refugees/etc. because liberals are for it. That's a lame excuse.

KingCheetah and Nook like this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Jesus taught one thing. Salvation

Wbat others said or felt was on them

Edit: pontius pilate didn't care. He didn't have anything against Jesus. He did it cause Jewish leaders wanted it

#54 pgabriel, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    cml750 likes this.
  15. justtxyank

That isn't true though. Jesus taught about a lot of things. Have you read the Bible?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't want to argue everything Jesus taught other than it had to do with Salvation or loving your neighbor

cml750 likes this.
  17. Space Ghost

And why do you think they oppose it?

18. justtxyank

Yeah you are probably right. Trump created his entire campaign around ending illegal immigration just because liberals support it.

Weaksauce.

19. Space Ghost

Im genuinely asking for your opinion. Regardless of your opinion, Im not going to insult it. I may disagree with it, but Im not going to insult it.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Jesus Sells Sanctuary.

VooDooPope and FranchiseBlade like this.