1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Thought everything was going well at The Station?

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27211061/fisher-aggies-score-big-no-1-qb-recruit

Fisher, Aggies score big with No. 1 QB recruit

Some good news for Aggie fans!

Uprising, Supermac34 and Fyreball like this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Aggies should have a good team, but they are younger than they were last year. They also have a brutal schedule. I don't think any other team in history has ever had to play the #1, #2, and #3 ranked teams in the country in one year. And that's not counting LSU and Auburn. Aggies are ranked nationally right behind Texas, and Texas has a much easier schedule. They play Oklahoma (#4)..and Iowa State from the top 25?

Which is always going to be the issue the Aggies face in the SEC West. You can be a top five team nationally, and 3rd in your division. Mond is being touted as one of the best QBs in the SEC...Aggies need him to be close to that. Talented receivers, and fronts on both sides of ball. LB's should be solid, DBs are younger---they need to play well for Aggies to step up. Can't replace Steenberger, but you can replace his production with the other receivers. Good lead RB, backups are talented but a question mark.

Should be a fun season, but given the schedule, might not see any 'progress'. Win just one of those three games, though, and the season has a much different look to it.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I did see recently while reading a Shane lechler article that it’s been 21 years since the aggies have won a conference championship. Powerhouse lol

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Brutal schedule for you guys for sure. Texas plays #6 LSU week 2. Huge game for both teams.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Possibly the toughest schedule of ALL TIME. FUN though. Nothing but fun games. The Big 12 was just playing Kansas every Saturday. Yawn. Nothing more boring than the Texans division though.

Fyreball, Newlin and Convictedstupid like this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yup. Don't miss a damn thing about having to fake getting jacked up for an 11:30 game against Iowa State. We'll probably get our asses handed to us more often than not this season, but it's gonna be a hell of a ride either way.

Ziggy likes this.
  8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I expect (hope?) they will be competitive. Almost beat Clemson last year, and hung in with Alabsma despite Mond missing too many open receivers.

9. Fyreball

I'm lower on Mond than most, so I'm not all too optimistic about results this year. The kid has a ton of heart, and shows toughness.....I just don't think he has the mechanics or accuracy to truly succeed against the best SEC defenses.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, he needs to improve his accuracy. He's very similar to Prescott in that regard. He came through against Clemson and LSU, but missed a lot of open receivers against Alabama. That game could have been a lot closer than it was, even though it was the closest anybody had played Alabama up to that point. So, agree that he needs to improve. He's been improving, and Fisher is good with QB's, so expecting him to improve in the very areas you mention. That said, we do have the toughest schedule...ever? So, even with him improving, there are still at least three games that could easily be losses. Personally, I hope those games are competitive, and would be very happy if we won one of them. 9 wins would be a fantastic season, given their schedule. Getting 9 wins will require that Mond play well in most games.

Fyreball likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Broken leg, big loss.

12. Buck Turgidson

Respect for playing Clemson, for real.

Does the Swagcopter go on roadies to Texas State, Lamar, and UTSA? It wouldn't cost much in fuel, I'm just curious.

Thank god yall scheduled that UTSA home game in between the killer home games against South Carolina and Mississippi State. Whew! Gotta get a breather, I mean you can't rule a state if you can't even catch your breath.

Nook and Hustle Town like this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Go find me a tougher schedule, old fart.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Convictedstupid

Don't worry, they won't.

16. Buck Turgidson

South Carolina, Stanford, etc...

17. Convictedstupid

Stanford? Eesh.

18. Fyreball

Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc. Talking **** about a rival school is fair play, but making fun of this schedule seems pretty asinine in all honesty. It's a tough as balls schedule....there's no two ways about it.

And damn, losing Cupp really ****ing sucks. Sternberger feasted in this offense. I was excited to see what Cupp was going to bring.

19. Buck Turgidson

They get a slight bonus for playing teams who have all their teeth.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Regardless on academics... A&M > Stanford