1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

I tried to warn earlier this offseason that this team has no idea how to be successful. Launching into a new GM search without a guarantee that they could get Caserio away from New England is such a Texans move its laughable. Playing tag while everyone else is playing chess.

Watch how the next week unfolds and how New England will fight tooth and nail to at minimum drag this out as long as possible. This is a waiting game. Its not that New England has to say no, its that they know we cannot wait forever.

Expect 2nd and 3rd name choices to begin filtering in over the next few days.

Make no mistake about it, the Texans jumped the gun majorly this time and will have to get very lucky to get the guy they want.

3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i truly doubt that someone did not get word that Caserio wants to come..
    Regardless, they were going to fire Gaine.. , but its hard to imagine that someone didnt speak to Caserio.. (Patriots are just trying to delay this, but i would think they will have to let him interview.. ,

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]
    HOUSTON TEXANS
    GENERAL MANAGER APPLICATION

1. Are you currently working for or have you worked for the Patriots in the last twelve years?
    □YES
    □NO

*If you answered yes, please list job title and description below and continue to question number two. If you answered no, thank you for your interest but we are not interested in you at this time.

Job title/description: ___________________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

2. Do you have a prior working relationship with Bill O'Brien? Did he like working with you?
    □YES/YES
    □YES/NO
    □NO

*Even if you answered yes, if hired, we cannot guarantee that Bill will not fire you or throw you under the bus.

Thank you for your interest! We will be contacting you in the next month to follow up.

#504 J.R., Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    napalm06, Commodore, Nook and 13 others like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There's no rush to hire a GM. Free agency is over; the draft is over; camp doesn't start for another ~6 weeks... It'll be interesting to see what NE does. If they find a way to block/keep Caserio, it means the Texans targeted the right guy.

I would wager the Texans have 2rd and 3rd choices already...

The can't seek permission to interview Caserio if Brian Gaine is still the GM because they couldn't offer him the position and the Patriots would've blocked any linear move. So there's no jumping the gun here; this is the only way this could've played out.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member

Umm another way it could have played out is they hire caserio already

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great read, thanks for sharing!

With how close Easterby, Caserio, and McDaniels are, why do I feel like the city of Houston is getting setup so that when Belichick retires and McDaniels gets promoted to HC in New England, somehow, Easterby, Caserio, and DW4 all end up leaving to setup the next Patriots dynasty?!

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

But this Houston job has a few “buyer beware” signs that should give Caserio pause.

One, he’d be joining a team in midstream, inheriting a veteran-laden roster that has been built by Gaine and before him Rick Smith. If I were Caserio, I’d rather my first GM job come with a team that is rebuilding, so you can have total control in shaping the roster.

Two, Houston might not be the most stable place in the NFL right now. O’Brien seems to be squarely on the hot seat, with a 42-38 record in five seasons, and just 1-3 in the playoffs. Gaine lasted just 16 months on the job before he was surprisingly axed. Founding owner Bob McNair was patient, standing by Gary Kubiak as coach for eight seasons, but McNair died last year, and no one knows whether his son, new owner Cal McNair, will be so patient with this football staff.

Three, is Houston really a better job than the one Caserio has in New England? He doesn’t have total control over the roster here — that would belong to Belichick — and he doesn’t have the GM title. But he does just about everything else.

He chooses the free agents, negotiates the contracts, works out the college kids, plays quarterback in practice, talks on the headset from the press box during games, and sits in on the general managers photo at the owners meetings each March. He makes a good living (likely several million per season), and, oh by the way, he wins Super Bowls almost every year.

In Houston, the Texans proved with last week’s sacking of Gaine that O’Brien has the juice in the building. Caserio might get the GM title, but he wouldn’t have more power than O’Brien, and wouldn’t get to pick the players (especially this year, with the draft and free agency already complete).

But even if the Patriots do let him pursue the Houston job, Caserio should think twice about taking it. He undoubtedly is getting restless in Foxborough and wants to be in charge of his own team. But he has a good thing going in New England, and the Houston job comes with significant question marks.

#508 J.R., Jun 11, 2019
  9. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

It's almost if a Patriots fan *(ahem)* writer wrote this article.

There are worse teams to inherit than one that has Deshaun, DeAndrea, and JJ, among others.

FLASH21 likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Pats are fighting to keep Him. McClain says there may be tampering accusations coming, demands for a pick, etc. Not clear at this time Texans will even get to interview.

If not Texans May move forward without an official GM

11. justtxyank

Will be the height of hilarity if they don’t get Caserio and OB just acts as GM. I’m sure that would be normal as well

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

My understanding is that if the Pats don’t grant permission for an interview, the Texans have to send in paperwork to the league showing it’s a promotion with full control over personnel. Per McClain, Gaine had that in his contract so wouldn’t be a big deal. But the league does get involved at that point.

Assuming a tampering accusation would be a long drawn out process.

#512 gucci888, Jun 11, 2019
    justtxyank likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Anyway I could see the whole article?

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Red.Glare likes this.
  16. justtxyank

McClain this morning: heard from someone in New England that Caserio “definitely” wants to come to Houston. New England trying to block him. 60/40

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

why is it 60/40.. all the Texans have to do is present the Power structure, where Patriots would have to promote him to GM, but
    if he really wants to come to Houston , than it would be his decision of whom he wants to be the GM for..

18. justtxyank

Apparently Patriots are trying to claim he actually is the GM in NE and this wouldn't be a real promotion.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mort: Things were not going swimmingly well. Cal McNair went through a process of meeting with different people and came to the conclusion the job was too big for Brian Gaine. That's what I've been told. Bill O'Brien knew Brian Gaine. He was on board with Brian Gaine. Some people said it was too big. There's a name people are starting to hear: Jack Easterby. He's a guy the Patriots let go. He was their life coach. In early April, the Texans hired him to a VP role. Everyone I know in this league is saying he was involved in the discussions because they were concerned this was too big for Brian Gaine and there's people in this league, let's just say Easterby is a suspect in this whole thing but Cal McNair definitely had the bottom line say. It was unusual and came from nowhere although we heard some things late in the season things weren't going swimmingly between Bill O'Brien & Brian Gaine.

desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

he would have to be given the full personal decisions (Which i believe thats Bellichick), therefore again they would have to give him a promotion to GM (And he would have to be willing to accept the promotion.. I think If he wants to be a texan he can be without a problem.