1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we were to acquire a non-lottery first rounder to add to our rotation...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 6, 2019.

1. basketballholic

who would you want to draft and give a rookie contract to?

There are two players that may be available with non-lottery picks that I believe are plug and play ready to be in the top 7-8 of our rotation by the end of the season.

Cam Johnson and Matisse Thybulle

Cam is the best shooter in the draft with enough quickness and smarts to adapt to a switching defensive scheme.

Thybulle may be the best defender in the draft with some of the quickest hands I've ever seen and he's extremely intelligent.

If AD and Butler are unattainable by draft night I'd be trying to trade into the first to get one or both of these guys.

You?

BallaDoc, JamalP. and hakeem94 like this.
  2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Cam Johnson is nice. I like Isaiah Roby too.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally, i don't know these guys well enough to say exactly who i'd draft, but i think this team as today, desperately need more lenght and athleticism, more shooting is always nice but, yeah, i think we are more lacking in other aspects, and that's where i'd try to improve.

dkim1984 and Deuce like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

OP, how do you propose we obtain this pick? I don't think we have the cash available to spend for a mid-first-rounder, so it would have to come via trade.

Highlyrated likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clearly they have to trade Capela. ;)

D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  6. basketballholic

Capela for a contract and a pick obviously.

Or if necessary and we have received signals that AD, Butler, KD, Lebron ain't coming then Gordon for a youngster and a pick...

Or possibly a bigger deal involving both Gordon and Capela out for expirings and picks with the expirings then flipped to Miami for JJ, Waiters, Winslow, and their pick....that would leave us with several picks in the first....Miami's, and possibly two others...gets Miami out of the tax and out of their long term bad deals....then we draft one guy and trade the other two picks for future firsts and maybe a second in this draft....

My feeling right now is Capela is as good as gone and if we haven't gotten a deal agreed to by the draft then everybody has highly overrated his trade value and we might be in some trouble building out a better version of this team. We've got to get a deal for him agreed to. Because there's too many bigs out there. If we wait we could be stuck again...so I think he's gone by the draft.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. basketballholic

YES. It should be clear to you that we HAVE to trade Capela if we intend to compete for a championship next season moving forward with an upgraded system. That should be understood @Deuce.

harold bingo likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Kinda what I was imagining this proposed scenario would look like. You must be psychic!

hakeem94 and Deuce like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You don't have to be psychic if you get the newsletter.

GermanRoxFan, Codman, Nook and 3 others like this.
  10. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I agree. We need a rebounder, another solid defensively player, stretch 4 with length, and more length overall.

raining threes and Vivi like this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Capela for josh jackson and 6th pick. Trade later if needed.

Gordon and 1first to Celtics for brown and 14th pick.

javal_lon likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Au contraire, mon frère. The title of the newsletter is Nostra'holic.

Deuce, Codman, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  13. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Id rather trade for John collins and teauran prince ,give them Eg and capela maybe we can also get a pick back.

coachbadlee likes this.
  14. basketballholic

Not reasonable for ATL. Collins is a foundation piece for their rebuild.

D-rock likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Not reasonable for either team. I can't believe some of you think we can get a prospect and a top 10 pick for Capela. And the Celtics deal you're asking the Celtics for a double upgrade. lordie.

16. basketballholic

A non-lottery pick in this draft.......................who would you take

17. Ratman

Ratman Member

Admiral schofield. He might be a late first rounder but he can play the 2 or 3, is on the shorter side at 6-5 but is strong and quick to be a versatile defender. Oh and he shot 42% on 3’s, and alot of them were catch and shoot and hes good from the corner. Got nba range too.

18. Fantasma Negro

In the likelihood that Capela is traded it will probably be for a sf and a pick which means Eric Gordon will probably traded away as well for a marginal big and financial relief to re-sign Faried and Rivers. In that case they should use the acquired pick to draft Keldon Johnson

19. basketballholic

Why do you think he's ready for the rotation of a championship contender?

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

whats the point when Dantoni won't play them or Morey will package them in a trade to get rid of a bad contract

PeterKingX and javal_lon like this.