1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

There's definitely been some drama lately. Here's what Zach Evans said about not including Texas in his top 5:

“It’s just … you don’t know how to put it,” Evans told 247Sports as a part of a wide-ranging interview. “I don’t want to be disrespectful. I ain’t saying (Texas) can’t win a natty. It’s just at the moment [Texas is] not quite there. You beat Georgia but you barely beat Georgia. What about when it comes to a Bama or go to a Clemson?

"Texas is a good school, they coming up. It's just ... I don't know."

And here is Kelee Ringo's reaction on Instagram:
    [​IMG]

We may have won the Sugar Bowl, but our early summer recruiting momentum doesn't reflect it. It's hard to believe Herman and Co just didn't want to deal with the waiting game for a recruit like Evans. I'm sure we're getting negatively recruited heavily, so we can't really have any dead weight on the staff.

2. Bob Barker 007

Zach Evans and Ringo had the potential to be program-changing players for us, and it hurts to seemingly be out of the running for both already. There is a bit of a silver lining knowing that the running back class is stacked, and we should be able to get another five-star RB like Bijan Robinson. We also do not have to take Damieon George at OT in a package deal with Evans anymore. Getting Bijan Robinson and Ja'Quinden Jackson this summer would get us going again in the right direction.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Texas just has to win. It's a simple question.

I'm really excited about the defense this year. I wish we would have seen more of Coburn last year but he's going to be a hoss for us for the next few years.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup hard to complain about recruiting under Herman but going from perceived leaders to out of the running is hard to swallow. Just need to win.

5. Buck Turgidson

Yep. **** 'em. Kick ass and let the chips fall where they may.

I do like the tweets from the current players.

Bob Barker 007 and Hustle Town like this.
  6. gucci888

Bru officially gone. Had really high expectations for him but transferring twice in the span of 6 months probably a big red flag.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Hustle Town

Not that he wouldn't have helped at WR, but we needed him at LB. It's a loss but a manageable one.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Or an 18 year old home sick kid. Moving away from home at 18 into a totally different environment isn't for everyone. Read he was worried about Drew Mehringer, his lead recruiter possibly being let go as he is only on a1 year extension. just sounds like a cop-out to me but whateves. I really dont think he really ever wanted to play for anyone but the Trojans. Not much they can do about that.

https://247sports.com/college/texas...Herman-Sam-Ehlinger-Drew-Mehringer-132480514/

9. gucci888

Ya not trying to knock on the kid too much but not returning calls/texts for weeks is pretty damn immature, even for an 18 year old.

tinman and raining threes like this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Hustle Town

12. slamdunk179

slamdunk179 Member

Zach Evans made a surprise visit last week to UT last week. While unlikely, we aren't completely out of the running.

5 star RB, Bijan Robinson seems to be our top target for RB

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He also visited the Aggs.

14. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Texas had their Summer Heat wave pool party/recruiting weekend last weekend. They hosted a lot of big names. It seems all the reactions are on pay sites. Does anybody know how it went? What everybody thought? Are we looking good with Bijan Robinson and Kelee Ringo? Those guys could really be difference makers.

If anybody has some notes from paysites, I would greatly appreciate it!

15. Hustle Town

If you're willing to put up with the BS and sift through some forum pages, users on this site take paywalled recruiting content and repost it
    Otherwise, we're in the dead period until July 25, so it's mostly speculation right now.

16. gucci888

Supposedly looking good for Robinson. A lot of chatter that Ringo is Georgia bound but thought I read he still has his official visit to Texas planned for during the season.

Herman just needs to win.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Seriously? I could only guess what the worst In the last 30 years was. Wow

The whole setup is going to come crashing down sooner then most people would guess.

18. Buck Turgidson

What in god's green earth are you even talking about?

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That the highest gpa in over 100 years of football is not even a 3.0

And that the current system is dumb/stupid/etc/etc/etc

There should be some type of compensation for the players and they should not have a full time slate of classes. Part time should be ok, along with after football they should be able to go finish their degree.

There is no way they are getting the most of the classes having all of the other stuff going on. A 2.89 as an all time high is pathetic.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaka Smart doesn't develop players