1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Sleepers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, May 14, 2019.

1. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

I saw video of Carsen Edwards at a workout in Indy and he looked completely overmatched. I can easily see him dropping. But, he looked so overmatched I am not sure I'd want the Rockets to trade back in to take him, even though he is a local kid.

2. basketballholic

Cameron Johnson

I hesitate to list him here.... or anywhere. Because I suspect he's one of our targets. And I really think he should go lottery. Because if he stays healthy he'll have a better career than a lot of first rounders and may have a top 10 career in his draft class.
    Negatives
    5th year senior
    Rail thin and doesn't bang the boards enough.

Positives
    Shooting off both the catch and the dribble with incredible range and accuracy. Great stop and pull up in the mid to high paint that is deadly and he can get it off over everybody.
    Very good handle to get to the rim.
    Ability to finish.
    Quick and fast feet with good length.
    Extremely smart. Plays very efficient game.

Reports have him going everywhere from undrafted to second round to late first. I think somebody will pull on him earlier than than. Somewhere between 10-20. But if he slips to the second he's a steal.

Just one tape here with some of his shooting. Plenty of other video available.

Clutch and Vivi like this.
  3. basketballholic

This guy is a much smarter much better shooting Chandler Parsons without knee issues but with a hip condition that looks to have been fixed with surgery.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't follow college so take my prediction with a grain of salt, but Jordan Bone looks great on paper. Crazy athlete with a reliable jumper. He's currently mocked in the mid 40's at Draftnet. Looking at combine results can backfire too, could be the next Nick Johnson. Has anyone here seen much of him?

I really don't want to see Rivers back with us. So many posters here do, and I don't get it. I don't trust his jumper, free throw or ability to create for others.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

@basketballholic i actually look forward to these threads every year. As crazy as you can be in the GARM ;) ... these are usually well thought out.

And the guys you've identified so far are the sleepers. No idea why Nowell isn't rising more. And Cam Johnson...indeed.

Vivi and Clutch like this.
  6. basketballholic

Crazy?

Because i told you 2 1/2 years ago that we needed to trade Capela?? Or crazy because i think ahead and out of the box?

Crazy is good bro.

7. basketballholic

Does not make it through my filters.

8. JayZ750

I think this is well discussed in the GARM. Let's stick to the prospects!!

fattz likes this.
  9. basketballholic

If I recall right don't you have a pretty decent scouting record yourself?

10. JayZ750

Meh... it's hard to tell. I'm sure I have plenty of misses. Last year I was very high on Luca and Bagley and still high on Trae. Less high on Ayton. I like Isaac Bonga as a sleeper and jury still out on that one for sure. But in 2017 I thought one of Ntilinka, Smith or Monk would end up better than Lauri - so seems like that's definitely wrong unless Smith turns it around.

I used to be high on Semi as a sleeper... and he's still in the NBA and plays some so that's a success maybe?

In a 2017 post on the PG class, I liked Fultz A LOT. I didn't like Ball - thought he had biggest bust potential at the top of that draft. I loved Fox and specifically said ("I think Fox could become the best of the bunch, but it will take a while. He already has top 1% speed at the NBA level. But he doesn't have a great 3 point shot, and is super skinny.").

Let's see... in 2016 I was high on Domantas - thought he had all star potential. I was concerned about Jamal because I didn't know if he was a "true" PG or more of a very small SG. As it turns out he is a true PG, but also not great in that sense and doesn't need to be because of Jokic.

Hmm.. I thought Myles Turner peak was a couple years as an all star. I pushed back on Grayson Allen as a Chandler Parsons type and though Deker was the better pick and comparison (this was pre-draft). But then I wasn't sure on KAT over Okafor. But then I was somewhat high on Bobby Portis if he fell.

I don't really do a ton of analysis.

I do watch college basketball.

So my analysis typically leans heavy on (i) shooting %s (ii) measurables, and (iii) feel for the game (some people do well in college and you can just tell it won't translate). I usually like bigs that rebound well - part of the reason I was high on Bagley, he wasn't just a scorer. Ayton also rebounded well but I just didn't like his feel for the game as well.

Generally, I'm more likely to miss on Kawhi types. I typically HATE that type of prospect. More often than not it turns out to be Justice Winslow or MKG. As a sleeper? Sure. In the lottery... if you can't score in college, you're going to STRUGGLE in the nba, and while you might be great defensively, everyone in the NBA is bigger, faster and stronger.

Lots of people aren't high on this draft past 2/3. I actually think its not that bad. I think Garland has potential - but honestly can't really comment on him much (that's a guy that REALLY requires heavy scouting in visits). I like Hunter because he has some of that great defensive wing potential, but he can also score and shoot already. I think Colby White has the potential to be better than Ja and Garland. Not a big fan of Rui. Not fully sold on Culver yet. Kid from France really intrigues me. Really intrigued by Nickeil Alexander-Walker - like really intrigued - 37% from three two years in a row on volume, got assists up to 4 a game this year, rebounded some, and plays defense - doesn't have quite the athleticism you'd want, but shooters tend to translate, even if just as a role player. I think in the mid teens PJ Washington could be a really solid pickup - slightly small 4 but with range, and a high floor I think.

Honestly, there's lots of guys that could be "sleepers" depending on how you define that/how late they go. Grant Williams. John Konchar. Chuma Okeke

Vivi, mikol13 and Clutch like this.
  11. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Luka Samanic has unfortunately worked himself into the 1st round.

I would’ve loved Morey to have been able to buy a pick in the early 2nd for him.

12. Nook

Nook Member

2 1/2 years ago you would have gotten a ham sandwich for Capela. Right now his value is as high as it has ever been.

D-rock likes this.
  13. ball king23

ball king23 Member

14. basketballholic

The ham sandwich plus Melton plus the first and second rounder it costs us to get out of the tax this year plus Ryan on an expiring contract plus whoever we had signed to replace Capela would have been better that two straight crushing defeats by the warriors and the loss of those assets.

15. raining threes

I really like this guy and Dean Wade as well as McDaniels.

16. basketballholic

Jalen Lecque

6'4" 19 y/o 5th year high schooler.

Extremely athletic. 43" vertical. Super quick and fast.

He's being compared to Westbrook. Physically I'd say that's accurate. He's more wirey but he's only 19.

But that's where the comparisons to Westbrook stop. Because this kid really does play a team game. And that's what I like. He's athletic enough to have dominated the teams he's played on and taken a lot more shots. But he always got his teammates off. And they raved about playing with him.

High character guy. Great work ethic. In the 95th percentile or higher of athleticism in the NBA. Great leadership qualities. Calm under pressure. Excellent floor vision and bball iq.

Negatives

He does need development time. Going to have to work more on staying low with his dribble to deter strips. He has solid mechanics on his jumper and he nails it really well in an empty gym. But he's struggling and will struggle at the pro level initially in finding the right balance between the drive and the jumper. He's one of those guys that's so athletic that it's easy for him to attack every possession even when he's wide open for the shot. And he definitely prefers his drive to his shot. He'll need to learn the balance and become game confident with his stroke.

And of course he will have to adapt defensively to NBA play. He has all the physical tools to be a plus defender. But he'll have issues initially with getting low because he does have a higher center of gravity.

The good thing that overrides all the negatives is he has the brain, the body, the athleticism, the work ethic, and the drive to get it done.

I would say his greatest weakness is his greatest strength. He may be too unselfish, too humble to ever be totally dominant at the NBA level.

But if he's drafted in the second round or undrafted he will have a better career than a lot of guys drafted in the first round. (Little)

Im not a fan of dunk videos for evaluating NBA potential but I think one of these is him dunking over Zion last year in a game that his team beat Zion's team and Zion had 40+ points.

#36 basketballholic, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    D-rock and Vivi like this.
  17. basketballholic

CJ Massinburg

Lead guard. Mediocre athleticism. Mediocre measurables. Not crazy quick. Played at a smaller school. Older 4- year senior.

Plays his butt off. All heart. Good basketball iq. Weird looking jump shot release. Tucks his elbow a little too much. And releases straight up. Shot goes down. Very efficient game. Efficient shooter with plenty of range deep. Not hardly any deception in his game at all. Not a great first step. Doesn't beat a lot of guys off the dribble but still gets his shot or the pass and doesn't turn it over hardly at all. Is a possession points creator. That means he has more points created with steals and offensive rebounds than points given up on turnovers. Not rated or very low rated on most boards. Watch.

#37 basketballholic, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Vivi likes this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

Kris Wilkes looks like the sleeper we need from this draft. Not to just fill the need (sf) but produce in a role where his skill sets would shine. High bball IQ, defense minded with athleticism, size, length, can scorer in many ways if called on and moves with out the ball. Hopefully we buy a mid 2nd round pick if he is still there. Would pair well with Harden as a 3rd or 4th option (don’t ask him to be more than he is) and cover Harden’s man on the defensive end if needed. I think MDA would play him as a rookie because he is smart and plays defense. IMO, his waiting another year to come out of UCLA helped him as a player but hurt him as a recruit because he is a team player not a star. He should be our target. —> Ariza-ish

#38 fattz, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Normalus likes this.
  19. basketballholic

Shamorie Ponds

Brooklyn bred point guard. A little small at 6'1" but plays bigger. Leftie.

Great offensive game. Crazy handle with plenty of hezi, change of direction, and fakery. Sees the floor well and delivers the ball. Good finisher inside. And the jumper goes down very well even though he tucks his shooting elbow awkwardly.

Defensively very active. One of the steals leaders. Forces opponents into uncomfortable pushing angles and then grabs the ball. Takes care of ball evenly well on the offensive end.

More steals then turnovers. And a very healthy assist/ turnover ratio.

Seems like a little bit of a goof. Don't see a lot of leadership skills in him. But he's got the skills and iq to have a better career than many first round guys. He'd be a bargain pick up in the second or undrafted.

Plenty of tape to watch on him. Here's one.

Deuce and Vivi like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Louis King - Long run jump athletic above rim SF w/7foot wingspan who can create own shot but better catch & shoot (39% beyond arc).