1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

J.B. Bukauskas went four innings and one of the two hits he allowed was a two-run homer. He also walked two and struck out six.

Marteen and mikol13 like this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Luis Garcia's perfect relief outing was ruined by a leadoff home run in the 9th inning.

Garcia struck out seven over the final four innings of Quad Cities' 11-2 win over Cedar Rapids. Cody Deason, who got the start, allowed an unearned run on four hits, walked three, and struck out seven in five innings.

3. HTown2017Champs

But then he also logged two more innings there today, in a game we led. Probably only garbage time I guess, but the fact that they put him there a second time drew my attention.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It should draw your attention when they do it in a close game and other first basemen are available.

Kemahkeith and crose like this.
  5. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

According to Sportrac the Astros are $3.5M above the luxury tax limit? https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/payroll/

Given the rising value of the players and being so close to the limit, I would think we're likely to see a trade to get below the threshold to avoid a 50% tax in a couple years (ie Reddick). Either way, this is a strong indication that we need to develop our players in house, and not trade them. For every free agent or veteran salary we take in at this point, that's one George Springer or Carlos Correa we're going to lose, and I would love to find every possible way to have those two sign extensions. They are more than just stats.

I hope the McCullers injury doesn't eventually cost us too much, because we wouldn't need to trade for a #3 pitcher if he's healthy and pitching like a #3. If we trade for a #3, IMO Alvarez, Tucker, Whitley and Martin absolutely need to be hands off (and maybe Straw just a little), because we need them to be starters that keep the payroll below the tax while keeping the beloved core as Cole, Reddick, Gurriel and Brantley leave. Other than those, I'm fine w/ them trading any position player in the minors (because we're overstocked in the majors) vs pitchers (ie Bielak, Ivey, Bukauskas) where we're lacking in relievers. Best case, but probably unlikely scenario, is that Martin or Whitley develop as a playoff ready #3. I can dream, can't I? I feel good about the rotation in 2020 and the regular season in 2019 - I'm sure it's all about the #3 in the playoffs as far as the FO is concerned. Damn that injury, McCullers :)

Anyway, it'll be fun watching to see what the FO does.

#965 Tuk88, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Kemahkeith likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

There is no luxury tax savings crunch for the Astros this year. Nothing to worry about.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's a difficult number to figure out for a couple reasons. First, the Bregman deal. I believe it included a signing bonus this year. That means this year would count for the contract which in terms of luxury tax salary would make it a six year $100,640,000. That would make his luxury tax hit each year 16.7 million not 20 million like they are showing. If the deal doesn't start until next year like other sites are showing his salary this year is 640k which means the Astros payroll is under 190 million. Either way, I believe their number is wrong.

Second, the Verlander extension. Several reporters tweeted that the new deal began this year and Luhnow said that in the press conference. That means it would raise his luxury tax salary for this year but lower it below the 33 million he's getting each of the next 2 years. I have not seen any report confirming this either way.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have trouble believing Luhnow would go over the luxury tax threshold this season when staying under would have been so easy for this team.

Staying under in future years won't be so easy.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

This is right.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Is every reporter and fan fishing for the right numbers, or is there a generally accurate resource somewhere? Otherwise it makes it difficult as a fan to have fun projecting/bracing for which stars/prospects (relevance to this thread) they keep/trade.

Apparently Altuve’s extension overrode his current salary to be 7 years/$163M, but Bregman’s didn’t, and Verlander’s did? I was assuming, wrongly I guess, that they extended Bregman now to move future luxury tax dollars to this year while they still had the room.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Bregman, it appears they moved up money (just not to this year) such that they won't have a huge spike later for his arbitration and his free agent years.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Given he’s started to hit again, anyone think he may actually be given another shot before Yordan? If he comes up instead, we’re able to play him in the OF and can DH Brantley or Reddick some days whereas Yordan would basically occupy our DH full time.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Valdez is now slashing .284/.385/.457 with three home runs and 20 RBI in 32 games for Quad Cities this season.

Originally signed by the Astros in 2015 for $450,000, Enmanuel Valdez was described as having good hand-eye coordination a good hit tool by Ben Badler of Baseball America when he signed. He's shown a good amount of pop in his bat despite being listed at 5-9, 171 (that's probably not an accurate measurement). He's walked at a decent clip (as of last night, 103 BB in 901 plate appearances = 11.4%) and he hasn't struck out at an obscene rate either (154 K/901 PA = 17.1%).

It appears that Valdez is starting to figure things out at the plate and he's certainly turning himself into a player to watch at the lower levels of the system. Unlike Osvaldo Duarte, however, Valdez looks like he's locked in the infield. He's appeared in 104 games (101 starts) at 2B, 53 (52 starts) at 3B, and zero in the outfield. He did play 1.2 innings as a catcher when he was in the DSL, though.

#973 tellitlikeitis, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I want to say I read both the Bregman and Verlander extensions were new deals that don’t start until next year. When I spent time looking at it in March I came up with the Astros having somewhere between $5M and $20M in space left this season, with my guess being that they have about $15M, with them already right up against the cap for next season.

I think they will have room to trade for a SP this deadline; if it’s a player with a big salary (like Greinke), the other team will have to eat most of the money, but I think they could add a guy like Stroman or Bumgarner without going over. But next season I think they’ll have to match all their adds with cuts, with Reddick and Gurriel (a combined $21.4M) being the two most likely guys to be sent out, since all of the other players with significant salaries are well worth it and still core pieces of the team.

The cap situation for 2021 and beyond is still up in the air. If they don’t extend Springer or Correa (or make any other big signings), they’ll have a lot of room, especially starting in 2022 after Verlander and Correa come off the books.

Springer is the guy most likely to bounce, since he will need to get paid before there’s enough room, and since he is already to the point where age is likely to start having a negative impact on his skills. I think they’re playing wait and see with Correa. If he leaves in free agency after 2021 then I suspect there will be several majors moves in the fallout.

#974 Snake Diggit, May 15, 2019
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am almost certain Bregman’s deal starts next season. His salary is $600k this season, and the higher cap aav doesn’t kick in until next year. He’ll only make $13M next season but the cap hit will be much higher.

Joe Joe and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He looks thick. My guess is he’s at least 190 now. He will have to be careful, as speed is a meaningful part of his game. Plus contact, plus on-base, average power, above average baserunning, average d at 2B/3B, that’s an everyday guy. But if the speed goes, multiple areas get dinged and it’s doubtful he’d add the power to offset.

Joe Joe likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I took the time and crunched all the numbers and I couldn't find my posts last night. Buried somewhere in the offseason thread, I assume.

iirc they have some money to spend before they hit 206M, like you said, and I seriously doubt that Crane would let a few million dollars hamper Luhnow from making a serious addition (ie SP who would start multiple playoff games).

#977 Buck Turgidson, May 15, 2019
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Meant cap money.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Me too

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If only because he's already on the 40-man. Otherwise, it will depend on the situation. I think Yordan is 1st if a decision is made to get rid of White or Kemp and he becomes the everyday DH. I think Tucker is first if there is an injury to one of the regular OF'ers.