1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Wow he really has small hands!! Amazing! Is that reeeaaal?

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny, the things trump supporters have to dig for to attack Beto...

3. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I love it. He will get picked apart. What happen to real Mexican in Julian Castro?

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how the other side views Beto as a "limousine liberal":

On actual substance, there are some red flags and some glimmers of hope. He has a troubled past with eminent domain that reeks of familial privilege and doling out political favors, at Matt Welch noted at Reason. Also, if we’re speaking in liberal terms, he’s about as privileged as they come despite his humble El Paso ZIP code. Welch notes:
    Now, Beto doesn’t have half-bad policy ideas on a few issues. He has worthwhile ideas on immigration, from a libertarian perspective interested in helping more nonviolent people come into our country and find suitable work. If only we could get him to flesh them out more. He supports reform of some of Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s practices. He does not support more intervention in endless wars in the Middle East. . . .

But don’t expect us to focus on any of those real issues. The media will be too busy writing profiles of him doing very normal things as if they’re exceptional. Speeding and empanadas, although lovely on their own merits, don’t make me vote for someone. They shouldn’t make you vote for someone either.​

http://thefederalist.com/2019/03/14/beto-orourke-ultimate-limousine-liberal-gen-xer-announces-prez/

5. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Another easy win for Trump.

6. VanityHalfBlack

Beto, lol. No thanks

dachuda86 likes this.
  7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with almost everything you've said. I don't even pretend to know what "electability" means anymore after 2016 and 30% of the country still being enthralled by the sentient jar of expired mayonnaise.

Frankly, I wish that Beto had come out of the gate with a some more detailed policy proposals. However, it's early and only those of us paying attention at this early date care about such things. I wish he had a stronger stated reason for running instead of "I feel like I was born to be in it." On the one hand, his ability to fundraise cannot be ignored and immediately propels him to the top tier of candidates.

I couldn't care less what Republican voters think of him. President Trump's approval rating among Republicans is above 90%. They're not our voters and never will be. I firmly believe that the eventual Democratic nominee needs to energize a wide base of support that didn't necessarily turn out for Hillary Clinton, but did for Barack Obama. Beto may very well be that candidate. But I just need some time to think about it myself.

I like Beto personally and agree that he does have a spark. I'm just waiting until the debates until I really get behind a candidate.

Hakeemtheking and BigM like this.
  8. conquistador#11

I'd be feeling myself if Trump said I was crazy because of my hand gestures.
    Beto should be like:
    [​IMG]

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beto is my choice.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Really more because he's young and only has a couple stints in the House to his name.

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What did Democrats say about Dubbya?

No substance, not enough experience in global politics. He's a hick from Texas and a college frat bro who has skated through life on daddy's wealth and privilege. He'll never get elected, there are much better candidates.

What did Republicans say about Obama twice?

No substance, empty suit, not enough experience with only one term in the Senate. Something, something teleprompter something. He'll never get elected, there are much better candidates.

What did Dems say about Trump?

No substance, he's reality TV star with no practical political experience at all. Shouldn't even make it past the primaries. He'll never get elected, there are much better candidates.

Anybody noticing a trend?

Maybe we need to reevaluate the criteria. Being qualified for the job appears to be irrelevant these days. The only question is whether we are in the mood for the angry old man unqualified guy or the friendly young good guy unqualified guy to play the President on TV.

#212 Ottomaton, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  13. IVFL

IVFL Member

Look out world Os Trigonum learned about "the Memes". Unfortunately, he only has one picture that he can use so it's going to get repetitive real quick around here. I am sure he won't notice though as three posters have slapped him on the back yucking it up at his "hilariousness"

Harrisment likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Nook

Nook Member

Man.... a lot of it comes down to the cult of personality and whether a candidate can inspire people to care and vote.

I have no idea how good a President Beto would be, but that has little to do with his election fortunes.

The only time that policy has really mattered is when you have two candidates that lack charisma. Think Ford v. Carter or Bush v. Dukkakis.

Almost every other election in the last 50-60 years, at the Presidential level has hinged on charisma and personality...... Reagan, Clinton, G.W. Bush, Obama and even Trump.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Rumor has it (from the hot Lebanese bartender at The Continental Club) that BETO has a massive man hog, the size and pedigree not seen in the Oval Office since the days of James K. Polk.

17. Buck Turgidson

Don't sell LBJ short.

dachuda86 likes this.
  18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

James K. Poke

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Novel...

20. cml750

cml750 Member

A failed senatorial candidate could be the savior of the party. I guess he reminds people of other young charismatic Democratic candidates like JFK and Obama. The biggest difference is they did not lose elections prior to running for the Presidency.

dachuda86 likes this.