1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes traded to Kings For Jackson/Randolph

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Feb 6, 2019.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think Barnes is a really good get for the Kings.

A guy who has a tremendously strong frame and fills that 3/4 spot as well as almost anyone in todays NBA. Can defend, can hit the 3, can get to the rim or get his own shot. Not an all-star, but what more could you want from a guy?

Sure, his $25mill is a ridiculous price to pay, but the Kings best players are on rookie scale, and next time Barnes is up for a contract, their franchise is going to look pretty positive. Fox/ Hield/ Bagley all have great potential. Giles is starting to show flashes, WCS is decent, Bogey and Nemanja can not only fill roles, but are the awkward in-between position guys you need to put alongside a star.

Really, short of getting a star, this is the best Sacramento could hope to do, and Barnes provides stellar role player material if any of Fox/Hield/ Bagley take the next step.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Porkchop zing and Luka having fun now.

ramotadab likes this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Problem with that is... They're still the Sacramento Kings.

Not the Golden State Warriors.

They know how effective (or in this case ineffective) their shot will be once they take it in free agency.

roslolian likes this.
  4. hakeemthagreat

Why would they trade him during the game? Mark Cuban going out his way to ruin his reputation

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Warriors

B-Bob likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . .While he was playing .. . . .. no Owner/Team better ever say sh*T about Loyalty or Integrity
    While I may not like what AD is doing. . . I ain't mad at him either

Rocket River

ramotadab likes this.
  9. Lovemachine2000

Right, because the standard for a great rookie is playoffs or fail :rolleyes: Heck LeBron James couldn't even lead the Cavs to playoffs until his 3rd season in the Eastern Conference. Look at the All-Star rookie-sophomore game rosters and tell me which player you'd take over Doncic. He's heads above everyone including Ben Simmons.

ramotadab likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Consummate pro.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree. Not a bad guy at all, but his last game was kind of typical for his underwhelming career so far. (I got to watch him out here in California pre-Mavs). A negative +/- for the game, not many boards, and a disappointing TS%. They should go ahead and pre-order that for his headstone. Poor guy. Great specimen, nice guy (apparently), but just not that great at basketball.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. KingsFanSince85

The Luka hype is spiraling out of control IMO. Very good player? Yes. But what has he really done to show he's anything more than that? Tyreke Evans won ROY in 2009/10 while averaging 20/5/5 and only 5 months older than Luka is right now --- but didn't have 5+ years of pro ball experience coming in. How'd his career turn out?

I'm not saying Luka won't be a perennial all-star and/or a generational talent -- but 53 games doesn't make it case closed. Furthermore, he's not head and shoulders above anyone. That's BS. If he was, the Mavs would have a better record than they do. Luka joined a team that had more talent than LBJ ever had his first few years and more than many other comparable rookies. He had DeAndre Jordan, Harrison Barnes, Wes Matthews and Dennis Smith Jr., yet they are under .500.

The kid is good, but he's not that good -- not yet. And we don't know how much better, if any, he will get. We'll see how he does next season once all teams have an offseason to scout and take away thing things he does best.

I said this before and I'll say it again. Donovan Mitchell looked like the clear cut best player from the 2017 draft after year 1. Jayson Tatum looked like #2. But a little more than midway through year 2, suddenly De'Aaron Fox and Kyle Kuzma are making a case.

Things can and often do change.

#73 KingsFanSince85, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  14. KingsFanSince85

As a fan that wanted Luka heading into the draft, I'm not convinced that Marvin Bagley won't prove to be the better pick when it's all said and done. Did you see his performance today? He's been gaining steam since coming back from injury. If the KINGS somehow make the postseason with Bagley helping lead the way, all of you guys that have already closed the book will have to re-open it.

FWIW, you couldn't get me to swap De'Aaron Fox for Luka Dončić either. Time will tell if I'm wrong. But I prefer guys that play both ends as well as Fox already does and Bagley is beginning to do. Luka hasn't shown that he cares or can make a big impact on that side of the ball.

I watch Russell Westbrook and James Harden pile up ungoldy offensive stats almost every single game but neither has won anything yet. Aside from some bad luck (for you guys last year losing CP3), their deficiencies on the defensive end has something to do with that too IMO.

So please excuse me if I prefer players that might not be as good on the offensive end as the truly elite scorers/playmakers but are still very capable on that end AND that also play above average or better defense. Fox already plays excellent defense at his position and MB3 has shown flashes that he can be at least a good defensive player and rebounder. For those reasons, I'd take both over Luka. But I know, I'm a biased KINGS fan. That doesn't mean I'll be proven wrong, though. In 2 years, my answer might change. But for now, I believe what I believe.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Kings are really easy to enjoy right now good on them for turning it around. I love the new energy around them :)

B-Bob, hakeem94 and fckbandwagons like this.
  16. Vienna Calling

Interesting post, it's always nice to get insights from fans of other teams. Let me just add that it is very short-sighted to judge players just based on whether they've won a chamionship or not (which is what you just did if I understand it correctly). Harden and Westbrook will go down as all-time greats and hall-of-famers.

ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm a huge fan of fox and try to watch as many of his games as i can. but i do not think he will ever be an mvp level player. he could improve his outside shot, but he will never be an elite passer/playmaker. it will be interesting to see how he and doncic develop in the future. of course doncic will also never have fox's first step or finishing ability.

i'm high on bagley as well, but unfortunately this league is in the midst of a multiyear campaign trying to make bigs irrelevant

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

For obvious reasons.

ramotadab and Dacamel like this.
  19. Lovemachine2000

I get your point, and I applaud your dedicated fandom. Make no mistake, Luka is nothing like Tyreke Evans, and I am sure you don't believe that either. The Mavs are a net negative with Dennis Smith on the court, so there's that. Wes Matthews became half the player he was after the achilles injury. Barnes is a good 3rd option but ideally a 4th or 5th option.

De'Aaron Fox is a pleasant surprise this year with still untapped potential remaining. I would take him over Donovan Mitchell. We can agree to disagree on Luka, but to me he's on his way to have a Paul Pierce type career and maybe much more.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to downplay an entire post because of one paragraph, but this comes close to doing it.

Harden hasn't won a ring yet, not because of defensive issues, but because CP3 went down all while playing the greatest team every assembled in modern NBA history (until this year, lol).

I hate the haven't won anything comments on team sports in general. It's a team game. And in a league where there is as little parity as in any major sports league. Only a select few superstars win rings in the NBA. Then they win multiple. Because they get together - either how they used to or how they now do - and something finally gels, and they can dominate for a decade+. Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Lebron+, Warriors.

If Harden finishes his career without a ring, it will be because he wasn't on one of those dynastic teams. Whereas KD was... because we all know why.

KD is the perfect example and obvious case study for ALL nba players, really. He'll forever go down as a champion. Heck, he has TWO FINALS MVPS! Yet absent one of the more "cowardly" moves you'll have ever seen from a player, he would have just as likely have gone down in the other camp, and people would say he just wasn't "clutch" enough.

Relative to your point... again it's about putting together 3-5 of the right players. But that aside, when it comes to the #1 guy, Harden, Russ, Luka are going to take you farther than Bagley. It's just today's NBA.

AD is in his prime, and not a #1 option, IMO. For Bagley to get better than that, it's possible, but a stretch.

Whereas Luka can be a Harden. He's shown that already.

I love watching the Kings. The upside is that Bagley absolutely can be a REALLY REALLY good, all-star type PF. And I really love Fox, as well. I'd be hard-pressed to not trade him for Luka, but I understand your comment. I'd have to be inside the Kings organization regularly, because with the right work-ethic, in 5 years can Fox be the best PG in the NBA?? Yes, absolutely.