1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#Wat] Is Virginia’s governor promoting infanticide?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep...akin to "pulling the plug" on a patient that has no hope for survival.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Is Virginia’s governor promoting infanticide?

Having not read the article/tweet and seeing who the OP is, I will boldly claim that the Virginia’s governor is NOT promoting infanticide.

#5 No Worries, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

R0ckets03 likes this.
  7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Infanticide would be a cool band name.

leroy likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

From @Cohete Rojo's decontextualized quote, I was assuming this was the context. Then I played the video. I understand why it'd be controversial on two parts:

(1) He talks about this example of a non-viable pregnancy to side-step the question of an abortion of a perfectly healthy baby when the mother is in labor. So he's conceding that the bill would allow that a completely viable baby that can just be delivered could nevertheless be aborted at the discretion of parents and physicians.

(2) Maybe worse, in his example of a non-viable pregnancy that is a candidate for a late-term abortion, he says the mother and physicians can have a discussion after the baby is perhaps resuscitated. It's one thing to follow a do-not-resuscitate order for a non-viable baby that needs proactive intervention to live. Once the baby is 'resuscitated' though, I don't know if there's much to discuss. That's not an abortion question any more. I can understand people getting their back up.

cml750 likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Sorry, I don't believe that was his intent. He first is asked to comment on someone else's reasoning (he declines). Then he talks to the situation of third trimester abortions and he says if there are issues with the baby and the conversation between the mother (and father) and doctors. I think if a follow up question had been asked to clear up confusion (before birth, after birth) he would answer that question directly. My guess is that the interviewer understood his answer and instead asked about multiple doctors (which he answered directly).

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Brilliant branding going on by conservatives right now. They are trying to turn right to life issues into the new "bathroom" debate to help turn people out for Trump.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Stupid liberals, it's not what he said but how he said it. Trump says stupid stuff all the time, but what he really means is to say something smart. This guy obviously hates babies. Why can't you see that?

Invisible Fan and R0ckets03 like this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know what his intent was. If I want to be charitable, I can say he expressed his thoughts poorly. The pushback sounds perfectly justified anyway. Maybe he can take this opportunity to clarify his meaning.

13. justtxyank

I will say all of these liberals who are rushing to get the support of pro-choice movements right now are only hurting the 2020 Democratic nominee. Best thing that can happen to Trump is all of these states passing new, aggressive pro-abortion laws to light a fire under conservatives. Re-energizes them and gives conservatives who wanted to vote against Trump a reminder of what happens if they elect a Democrat.

bigtexxx and Nook like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Isn't the turning point that will happen sooner than 2020 is when the USSC rules on choice-related cases? Seems if they start whittling away or remove all together... folks will look more seriously at who they elect, both as president and as senators.

15. NewRoxFan

Somehow I don't think of james wood when I think of careful consideration of what people say.

16. Cohete Rojo

It is not difficult to understand the situation he described: a child is born but the doctor must ask the mother for permission to resuscitate.

I am guessing logic used by some is that the child is still attached to umbilical cord so it is the mother’s decision.

Others may say the child is no longer a fetus and doctor should not have to ask for permission to attempt a resuscitation.

And I imagine others have different opinions, logic, etc.

17. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Wow, is it just me, or does the author of the "guidelines" of this forum seem to consistently and repeatedly take a certain political stance?

Now, one can take a political stance. And, one can be the author of guidelines. One cannot logically and with good faith do both.

18. Cohete Rojo

We can’t expect @justtxyank to be unbiased but we can expect him to be impartial as possible.

cml750, BruceAndre and dachuda86 like this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he was not only suggesting infanticide, he was advocating genocide.

20. justtxyank

What position is me saying this is brilliant by conservatives taking? And is it as troubling to you as me saying liberals are being stupid for being super aggressive on these abortion bills?