1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Conference Championships

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2019.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Vinatieri made those kicks ;)

It is possible to recognize greatness and still hope they lose. Some posters are acting like they're cheering for the Patriots. That's cool too.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I love DW, but he will have to prove it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. likestohypeguy

I knew exactly what he must have typed instead, just from reading your reply. That is one of my favorites, along with "My car is in maculate condition", and "he's a dominate center" (NBA & GARM special). It's when people are only verbally familiar with the words, and never read them.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

First Superdome playoff loss for Brees

Should’ve lost vs Brett Favre Vikings. The Gunslinger attempted a completely unnecessary throw late game.

tinman, juanm34 and BleedsRocketRed like this.
  5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So does patty

7. Nook

Nook Member

You can wish in one hand and ..........

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Another birdbox

Uprising likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

That's where I was on yesterday's game. Patriots are the greatest of all time; really wanted them to lose just for some variety. Since they won, I have no interest in more L.A. vs Boston in another sports championship this year, so I guess I'll root for the Patriots to just rack up even gaudier, unbreakable numbers.

10. PatBev

PatBev Member

lol the receiver got rocked. That was the most blatant & aggressive PI I think I've ever witnessed on live TV. I am all for playing a little scrappy but that might even be an ejection for going helmet to helmet. Kinda lit his ass up

In 2019 we act like they cant radio the ref on the field to change the call

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would be for this sort of approach (if they change the rule) rather than having the on field official go under the hood and look at every single replay himself.

As I mentioned earlier, there's just way too much dead time for these games. Way too many replays... and even the most obvious of them still take at least 2-3 minutes to resolve (which is convenient for advertisers and networks to have more commercials).

If its about getting calls right, especially the most egregious/game-changing ones, they need to have the ability to just tell the on field crew to fix it, which should take less than a minute. Call it "special review" or some crap.

12. conquistador#11

I see a lot of CBs not turn around to locate the ball while making contact and not get called for a p.i.
    Here with the texans if the opposing Qb underthrows the ball and hits our cbs in the back of the head because our cbs are too slow to be on the receiver, it's an automatic yellow flag.

13. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

And in the other game Brady barely gets touched and they call it roughing the passer.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

2 Saints fans file lawsuit against NFL, Roger Goodell over blown call vs. Rams

https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/01...fl-roger-goodell-over-blown-call-vs-rams.html

The lawsuit cites an NFL rule that gives the league commissioner authority to “investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encounters in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.”

16. PhiSlammaJamma

The original rationale wasn't so much time as I recall, they defended penalties as a judgement call. That has never made any sense to me. None. What. So. Ever. Everything is a judgement call including catches, so I've never understood the rationale for not being able to challenge penalties. If you see again, and it's blatant, reverse! So easy. We have the technology so use it. It's hard to believe in 2019 that both conference finals had contrapansies in them.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

18. Major

Major Member

The argument is there are well-defined rules (even if they have to keep changing) for 12 men on the field, what's a catch, what's a fumble, forward vs backward pass, etc.

Things like PI or holding happen to some degree on every play - but a ref has to make a judgment on what's "too much contact". Obviously, there are cases like this one that are easy, but they are very rare. Most PI has both players slightly pushing and shoving and grabbing, and the ref determines when one did too much. How does that get reviewed? If they stick with the letter of the rules, smart offenses would just wait until a critical time, throw a 50 yard bomb, and then challenge PI since it's likely to have happened in some minor form. Or smart defenses will wait until a crucial play and then argue a holding call, since you can probably find some kind of minor holding on every play.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

But they can still judge it in replay. If you can judge it on the field, you can judge it in replay too. Replay doesn't just have to be confined to black and white calls is what I'm saying. In your instance, if I see a little handfighting in replay I still don't have to call it a penalty. And it's still worth a timeout, so coaches have to use it liberally. But earlier this year Henry ran for like a 56 yard td and they called a phantom hold, that shiot needs to get reversed every time.

#319 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member