1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Atlantic] The Case for Impeachment...Now.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jan 17, 2019.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Huge new cover in the March edition that is generating a ton of buzz.

I came into this debating whether the moral/ethical duty to impeach Trump outweighed the potential political risks in doing so.

After reading this, I'm starting to become convinced it's not only a moral imperative, but a political one as well. Also, screw Andrew Johnson, what a jackass.

#1 SamFisher, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Rashmon likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, thanks for the laugh Sam.

cml750, Dark Rhino and dachuda86 like this.
  3. SamFisher

Thanks for instantaneous response...it means a great deal.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's beyond time for impeachment. This is what happens when you put an ignorant, racist buffoon with a mob boss mentality in the most powerful seat in the world. Enough of this garbage already.

edwardc, Rashmon and SamFisher like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You doubt Bobby's speed reading abilities!?!

biff17 and plutoblue11 like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no question that Trump is unfit to be president.

But proceeding carefully is important as well. It's like when you drink poison you don't want to always induce vomiting because it can do more harm than good - in this case Trump is poison but inducing the vomiting also known as impeachment may hurt the country and play into his hands.

Best to first let the Mueller investigation complete, the report to come out, and have a bipartisan effort to remove this sick cancer.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. SamFisher

That's the current line that the leadership is pushing - the counter;

Waiting also presents dangers. With every passing day, Trump further undermines our national commitment to America’s ideals. And impeachment is a long process. Typically, the House first votes to open an investigation—the hearings would likely take months—then votes again to present charges to the Senate. By delaying the start of the process, in the hope that even clearer evidence will be produced by Mueller or some other source, lawmakers are delaying its eventual conclusion. Better to forge ahead, weighing what is already known and incorporating additional material as it becomes available.

IMO there is alrady sufficient evidence to merit the beginning of hearings (emoluments, etc, among other things). Mueller and treason can be added in at some point, if it needs to be. We don't know everything yet - but what we do know is enough to start the process.

CometsWin, Rashmon and mdrowe00 like this.
  8. SamFisher

I infer from his 60-second response time that this is a subject he really thinks is important to train his unique abilities on.

B-Bob, mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

I don't think he can undermine anything worse than he already has and by impeachment hearings without more evidence it will only deepen division of the country.

I believe you let Trump continue hanging himself and let the American people bottoming of office and then let the legal system do work.

I mean we will be in 20/20 anyway once an impeachment could be finished anyway I think.

there is also the fact that the Senate is Republican controlled anyway which makes impeachment moot.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Start now, and it will ensure that it is a democrat vs republican thing. Our country is torn. There are bigger things than Trump at stake

biff17 likes this.
  11. biff17

biff17 Member

Couldn't agree with you more.

I actually have to ask what does an impeachment accomplish at this point?

not saying I am against impeachment but I would to see some more meat on the bone of high crimes.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You might want to check the latest in the Mueller thread then. Or hit any major news website right now other than Fox News.

13. fchowd0311

By the time a hypothetical impeachment proccess would be complete, it would already be time for the 2020 election.

That is the only reason I don't want it. Does he deserce to be impeached? Absolutely. Is it healthy for the nation? Debatable but there is a good chance it will only cause further divide and civil unrest.

Trump being voted out will be healthier for the nation. It would be more of a mandate to ourselves and the world that the majority of us don't want any more of this clown show.

14. fchowd0311

We have plenty of circumstantial evidence out in the public not no smoking gun that Trump ordered the "collusion". Mueller probably has something close to that .It's hard to tell but untill that comes out, impeachment should definitely be off the table.

Again, he deserves impeachment for many other aspects of his presidency such as profiting off the the Presidency by having foreign diplomats offload cash into Trump owned properties but I don't see it being healthy for the country if he is forcably removed.

biff17 likes this.
  15. SamFisher

It will always be that.

Yesterday, Mitt Romney voted to let Trump's bribe to Deripaska- one of Trump's handlers - go forward.

Mitt Romney knows better. He publicly asserted this month that Trump is unfit, again. But he did it anyway.

It will always be that.

They are party over country - every last one of them.

This emergency is to grave to wait for these cowards.

JumpMan and subtomic like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rather not, this would just rile up the right and pence would move forward with all of the same policies all quiet and lowkey.

Left just needs to focus on 2020 so they can make real change.

biff17 and RayRay10 like this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is like the way they do it in old movies when mom catches the kid smoking a cigarette and makes him smoke the whole pack until he turns green and vomits

I dont care for Donny, but I think we need to let this disaster run its course as much as we can.

It"s operant conditioning - we need as many people as possible to get nauseous every time they remember that they voted for Trump and how that turned out. That way, when they are in the booth thinking about voting for President Kardashian, they'll get sick to their stomach and vote for someone else.

Obviously when he attempts to nuke Micronesia, or something similar we need to stop him, but I firmly believe that as much as possible this dumpster fire should be allowed to burn itself out.

18. SamFisher

Why is it more healthy for the country to have someone who is clearly unfit for office, working against his country's interests, and who has committed multiple impeachable acts go unpunished...and unquestioned?

This is why impeachment exists. If Trump isn't impeachable it shouldn't exist.

And the collapse of rule of law that is occurring in the interim kind of means the country doesn't really exist and shouldn't exist. The alternative to impeachment is acceptance of this.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Don’t do it now. Wait. Need the investigation findings to be damning so his sheep don’t start an uprising. Bobby has already loaded 3 potato guns.

AleksandarN and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Impeachment by the House, but acquittal by the Senate is the end result for almost any possible scenarios now, even in the case of Mueller report showing clear collusion and crimes by the POTUS. Assuming and given that, it's purely a political process and as such, it should be a political calculated move. The health, or the feel good, or the right thing to do... all of that is important by not as much as getting the criminal out of the WH (which is only possible through him either resigning or losing his re-election).

Sweet Lou 4 2 and RayRay10 like this.