1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The First Batch of GOPers Are Ready To Primary Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Jan 2, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

Add Sen.-elect Mitt Romney to the list that includes Kasich, Flake, Corker, Sasse, Ted Cruz (yes) and Evan McMillan. https://theweek.com/articles/811016/5-republicans-who-could-challenge-trump-2020

Romney's New Year’s Day op-ed---broadly criticizing Trump's policies and character and framing the narrative that the president
    "has not risen to the mantle of the office---amounts to a de-facto announcement that he will be running against the dotard.

"With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable;
    And it is in this province where the incumbent's shortfall has been most glaring."​

Romney had criticized Trump before — notably, in a March 2016 speech he called Trump a "phony" and a "fraud" and opposed his bid for the GOP nomination

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ted Cruz.... needs to f'ing disappear.

dachuda86 and Nook like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ted is such a ****ing snake lmfao

dachuda86 and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Ted Cruz is disgusting.

dachuda86 likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Politico tells me Trump is already the RNC's de facto nominee. But I do like a lot of these anti-Trump Republicans aside from Cruz. I'd even take Romney. At any rate, I will be voting in the Republican primary to help them make better decisions in 2020, assuming they have one.

Btw, that article is flat terrible.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

ted cruz... interesting. A number of trump fans here have claimed they voted for or supported cruz in the previous primary.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Sad bunch of hopefuls i have to say it 45 is going to mop the floor with these poor people.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. Anticope

Anticope Member

It's not going to happen, he's still way too popular among the Republican base and that isn't changing over the next two years. The only way he isn't on the ballot in 2020 is if the Mueller report is so bad that the senate GOP has no choice but to remove him from office or if he drops dead between now and then.

9. conquistador#11

got to respect Cruz's lack of self respect.
    [​IMG]

10. JuanValdez

Just because this terrible article said Ted Cruz might run doesn't mean he might run. It makes no sense to me at all that he would try to primary Trump. His target demographic is too much like Trump's. He needs to continue to fellate Trump for the next 6 years so he can appeal to those voters in 2024.

dachuda86 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

It is impossible for it to be bad enough for the GOP to remove Trump. They have already chosen their strategy and dug in.

12. Nook

Nook Member

The problem is that a lot of those voters will be dead by the time that he can run for President otherwise.

The demographics that Trump pulled are not very encouraging long term on the issues he has ran on.

Perhaps that changes with time, but it isn't a winning long term strategy most likely and Cruz knows that.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This article is speculation, not confirmation.

Kasich: Has said he won't run if he doesn't have a chance to win and then said he thinks the current RNC situation is setup to where he couldn't win. He then mentioned maybe an independent campaign.

Cruz: No chance.

McMullan: Who cares

Corker/Flake: Either or both of them may do it as a way to elevate their profile, but neither is a threat at all

Romney: He's the only one with even an inkling of a chance but he's still unlikely to actually run. He's definitely exploring it I full believe that.

Rashmon likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Romney could potentially REALLY screw Trump by running as an independent.

He would do very well in some states that Trump is assumed to win without resistance.

Having said that, I don't think that Romney takes that route.

Romney is 71 years old and may not ever win the Presidency, but he is one of the rare "losers" to emerge years late with more credibility and likability than before he ran and lost.

On a side note, I could see this upcoming Presidential election as an excellent one for a potential strong third party candidate.... someone that is moderate with credentials (Romney, Powell, Rice) could pull from both the Democrats and Republicans and cause a lot of headaches.

Rashmon likes this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My view is that the Republican establishment view Trump as a faustian bargan.

As long as he gives them the White House, those who are on board will stay on board.

At the moment they are convinced that he can no longer deliver what they want from him, it will get ugly and every Repubican will pretend to have been a Never Trump'er and Trump being Trump, he'll start trying to punch back at every perceived jab.

I think primary season is way too early for Republicans to cut bait on Trump. At that point, he is still the safest choice to retain power and the vast majority won't jeopardize that.

Nook likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Who said the following about donald trump?

"A speck of dirt is way more qualified to be president."
    "Donald Trump is a delusional narcissist and an orange-faced windbag."
    "Do we want someone with that kind of character, with that kind of careless language to be negotiating with Putin?...Would we not all be worried to have someone like that in charge of the nuclear arsenal?"

rand paul. Curious when he runs, again.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Powell is way too old and Rice wouldn't run for president. But yes, an independent, as long as they have STRONG republican support could be brutal for Trump. A crossover would be a nightmare for Democrats though. They need someone to siphon votes from Trump without touching Dem support. Powell would be a disaster for Democrats (if he did run) because they need all of the black votes they can get to go Democrat.

18. JuanValdez

That would be interesting. Hopefully not in any way that concludes with Rand Paul being president. But, it'd be interesting to see the dynamics of Trump v. Paul.

19. Nook

Nook Member

No doubt it could be a disaster for democrats........ both parties have ran to the extreme and believe that the moderates will fall in to place. Someone that is true to the center that runs as a third party could pick off moderates from both sides. I just used Powell as an example, he has to be in his 80's but he gets support from both sides of the political spectrum.

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep, this. None of those guys has a hope in Hades of primary-ing the Orange Man.

And I don't think Cruz would do it, as slimey as he might be. The Donald helped him out too much last year.

Actually, this is much ago about nothing. Trump will be the nominee.