1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Holy **** what a game

cml750, Uprising and J.R. like this.
  2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Incredible game. That was awesome. Love it.

J.R. likes this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Kellen Mond and Jimbo Fisher did what even Johnny Manziel and Kevin Sumlin couldn't do. Beat LSU.

What a game.

Uprising and J.R. like this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm not sure I still even fully comprehend that game. Like, what the actual **** did we just watch? Epic moment for the Jimbo Fisher Era.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

My wife, daughter, and I were at the LSU game last night. We were getting up to leave to beat the crowd after the "interception" in the last minute. We thought it was over so we were heading up the stairs to leave and then they overturned the interception and just wow what happened after that. We went back to our seats and could hardly believe what was happening. It was surreal. That was greatest game I have ever attended at any level of any sport.

6. likestohypeguy

Don't get me wrong it's a great outcome, but I guess I'm in the minority who does not enjoy that kind of finish. Seventies, seven OT's, was ridiculous. I started wanted it to just end, more than a win. Maybe it was the two note droning every single possession that started really grating me at the end, over, and over, and over again.

Still, I did stay up for it, barely.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, that was super annoying. That was the LSU band, and that crap shouldn't be allowed. No one wants to hear that.

As for the Aggie football team. That was a nice win. If they win their bowl game, they will have some nice momentum going into next year.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They were basically playing the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack everytime we had the ball. Nuts.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

You want to hear something funny? I watched the game...and changed channels after the interception when they splashed their coach with Gatorade. It didn't seem to me Mond had touched the ground...I was looking at that in the base replay they showed after the play. So...switched over to other sports that was on.

Saw the score in the morning paper...thought 'Oh, they played basketball against LSU yesterday too?'

So....maybe one of the greatest college finishes ever, certainly one of the greatest for A&M, and I missed all of it!

Big win...changes the perception of the season. Yes, they seem to play better, but 7-5 was Sumlin's WORST season. Would have been hard to see that as progress.

The game against N.C. State will also be big. 9-4, and ranked somewhere around 15th, is a whole lot different than 8-5, and unranked.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was at Target yesterday. The next aisle over two employees are talking about that game. Probably just gossip, but someone an employee knew was at the game and left about the same time you flipped the channel. Drove home to Houston. And was still able to watch the finish on TV.

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

LOL...true! Shows what an epic OT it was!

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

THE number one money earning program in the country. Ahead of Alabama. Ahead of Texas. Ahead of Ohio State, Michigan, everyone. and ahead of most of them by a very large margin.

The only thing they might want to rethink is why didn't they do it earlier.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

They were Number 1 when you average 2014, 2015 and 2016 as a part of their awesome and very impressive donation push to upgrade Kyle. If you take that out of the equation since it's not an every year thing and you just look at 2016, Texas is back at number 1. They'll be number 1 when 2017 is announced and they will set records when 2018 comes out because it'll include donations for DKR. At the end of the day, Texas is still a disappointing football team without a conference championship in 10 years so bragging about football revenue doesn't say much.

So moving to the SEC and Jonny Football made A&M a lot more money but (like Texas) what does that really do for the fans if you can't win anything? This isn't to say that UT is better or anything. It's just pointing out that this **** makes rich people richer and doesn't really do anything for any of us.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

You are proving my point. Revenue DID jump up when they moved to the SEC. It DID get them funding for a major addition to the stadium, which will bring in more revenue on a continuing basis.

Further, It's not about doing anything for the fans. Never is, never was. It's NEVER about doing things for the fans. Its ALWAYS about making more money. Only fans ever think it is about the fans. Sports fans are the most gullible market on planet Earth. How much money have you contributed to Texas A&M? Your value to them is directly related to whatever that number is.

Further, colleges don't want to win for their fans. They want to win for their FUTURE fans. It's all about marketing.

arkoe and TheresTheDagger like this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Kyler Murray, at one time, couldn't solidify himself over Kyle Allen in the rotation while both were at A&M.

And now he's won the Heisman. Pretty crazy.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Kevin Sumlin couldn’t have mismanaged that situation any worse. Kyle Allen was a damn good quarterback also. Sumlin managed to screw them both.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't care anything about the money. But, moving to the SEC has made me far more interested in watching them play every Saturday. I always watch them play, because they are playing against the best teams in the best conference.

The Aggies win conference titles in the SEC about as often as they did in the Big 12. They haven't won any titles since 1998, so I don't see any difference. But, I would much rather watch them compete against LSU or Alabama than Iowa State, Kansas Stae, or West Virginia. It's fun watching a local team play in the SEC. I was a SWC fan, sadly that's gone forever, but the next best thing is watching the SEC. I just wish more Texas teams were playing in the SEC.

Ziggy likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hit on all my feels in this one. We didn't win in the Big 12 either, lulz. Might as well play FUN teams.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What a boring day today has been ;)

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes! I love recruiting rank bragging rights. The only thing TAMU football has been good at since I started going there.