1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

UFC 229 Mcgregor vs Khabib

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mockster, Oct 3, 2018.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cause he was still raging. He wanted kill McGregor and wasn't allowed to.

UFC follows the WWE game plan which is why they build up nonfighters like McGregor and Rousy. What makes them worse is that they are willing to put its fighters at risk to build up a fight.

Just look at all the things McGregor was allowed to do. No limits to what he says to the best pound for pound fighter in the world. A fighter who fought bears as a boy. A fighter who is an associate to some evil men. A fighter who couldn't care less about money. The names McGregor spit out of his mouth are not names you want to mess with. But the UFC is fine with him putting his life on the line if it brings in more money.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

McGregor does get away with a lot, but so did Tyson and like Tyson when he went way over the line he was arrested. Khabib got the ultimate revenge and instead of a glorious moment he went after a team member in the stands starting a near riot. Khabib is an idiot and will probably be suspended and lose a significant percentage of his purse.

But whatever that was some glorious sports entertainment.

JumpMan and Jontro like this.
  3. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Other than Putin, he was bullshi***ing about the "terrorist coach", his coaches name matches a guy who is a real terrorist and the internet fell for it, well those that can't do any research did. Don't worry, you are not the only person. That's the thing he got away with spreading fake crap about his father and coach as being terrorists. People are so stupid they'll fall for anything coming out of his mouth.

The media and fans cream for this crap, he's playing a character out of a movie and people love it. It explains the bias reporting and lack of real coverage of the loss. Nobody mentions how he illegally used his knees or how he was grabbing his gloves so he wouldn't get punched or how McGregor punched an unsuspecting member of Khabib's team at the end which caused a reaction.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I actually thought the same thing but if Connor ends up losing against one these "scrubs" than the rematch will lose a lot of juice or might not even happen. it's risky for Danna but let's see what happens.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I thought it was a great card and had great fights. If I was to judge the last match purely off the fight ( none of the drama ) I would say it was pretty entertaining.

Connor was an underdog for a reason ... and that reason is Khabib is a monster .

I thought that was the best I've ever seen Conor grapple and he impressed me by fending of Khabib for so long .

Mcgregor needed to avoid getting taken down so early in the rounds .

Connors striking was not in top form and that made a huge difference.

As far as rules like holding on to the fence and holding hands and the angle of elbows .... I'm an amateur at following fighting so I don't really understand that . It's a fight ... short of biting , eye poking , and other really dirty things .... I don't know why grabbing a persons hand isn't allowed ?

To me , the only way to beat khabib is to be a great striker with your legs in addition to upper body . If khabib has to watch out for knee's to his face etc when going in for the takedown .... it will make it a lot harder .

But , he's 27-0 for a reason .

Furgusson isn't ready to fight him either , I think he needs more time training and rehabbing from his knee injury . Pettis is clearly a cut or two below .

7. KingCheetah

Connor getting rocked destroyed any chance he had because that led to the epic second round beatdown - it's hard to believe Connor survived that. If Connor doesn't get clipped we may have had a different fight.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I think more credit should be given to Khabib for circling the ring all fight long to not allow a direct hit. Btw you are allowed to grab hands, you cannot grab gloves.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Absolutely , it led to him getting taken down .

In hindsight , he should have rolled backwards to keep separation ... trying to stand up again right away let khabib get too close and grapple him down

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I fully expected this, Khabib has all of the leverage right now, he's the undefeated champion who just took down the cash cow and exposed him as the talentless hack he really is. Right now the UFC is in a really weak spot, can they really afford to lose Khabib over their love affair with McGregor?

cheke64, Jontro and mikol13 like this.
  13. Beavis Stiffler

Khabib is going to Bellator and will bring his UFC championship belt over there just like when Ric Flair brought the NWA/WCW championship belt to WWF/WWE.:D

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. mikol13

Supporting Member

Could the UFC survive without Khabib? Absolutely. Should they handle some things differently? Probably. What Khabib and his people did was wrong. He had scoreboard by beating the hell out of Mac. It was totally unnecessary.

Not sure Mac is a talentless hack, but he definitely struggles against top talent especially if they’re skilled wrestlers.

Side note: I’ve watched the UFC since UFC 1. Been a fan forever. Ever since the sale it’s just not what it was or should be in my opinion.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you for the most part and saying "talentless hack" is exaggeration.....but he did tap out from a rear naked choke that wasn't even under the chin so when it comes to that part of his game he's essentially talentless (no matter what excuses Joe Rogan makes for him). My problem with McGregor has always been that he's the most over hyped fighter I've ever seen not named Rhonda Rousey.

mikol13 likes this.
  16. mikol13

Supporting Member

His ground game is beyond awful. You’d think that and his cardio would be things he’d improve. He hasn’t.

17. mikol13

Supporting Member

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

19. KingCheetah

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't saying that it was impossible to be choked out with your chin down and the pressure being on the jawline for the most part, I'm just saying that no skilled fighter should be choked out that way. So the point was that McGregor was comically unskilled on the ground especially when it comes to his submission defense. He's done well to work on his takedown defense, and it was honestly a lot better than I expected from him, but those other parts of his game....I mean he's basically a completely lay person. Might as well be just a random drunk person in a bar.