1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Would you Rather Face in ALCS?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by theimpossibles1, Oct 8, 2018.

?

Which team would you rather the Astros face?

1. Red Sox

2. Yankees

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Red Sox had the better record, so of course, the Astros don't have home field against them. They do against the Yankees.

WhoDatStrosfan likes this.
  2. SS0101

SS0101 Member

For whatever reason, CC, Tanaka, and Happ have given us fits in the past. Because of that the yankees can really shorten a game. We also struggle in yankee stadium.

The red sox I feel like we match up well with. Aside from JD Martinez they did not get better from last year. In fact they are worse in the rotation and bullpen. Also, if Chris Sale has to go in a game 5 against the yankees then that means we wont see him til game 3 in HOUSTON. I dont think he wants any part of Minute Maid Park.

So, I think I would go red sox.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're sadly mistaken and couldn't be more off. you might want to look at their lineup realize they are very deep, and rethink much of this post.

4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

The poll is even right now. I don’t give a **** who we play. And Astros don’t give a **** who they play! Just bring it!

5. SS0101

SS0101 Member

"Much of this post." Yet you bolded one sentence. SMH...come on man, you are taking the ENTIRE post out of context by minimizing it to that one statement.

Even so, they added JD Martininez...that is where they got better. Yes, he extended the lineup and made it deeper. But the players aside from him are the same. Many players of which we neutralized last season, last postseason, AND this season. They won a lot of games in a division with Baltimore (could be the worst team this half of the century) and Toronto. While also in an era where the amount of bottom feeders in the entire league is at maybe an all time high (there have been numbers/records posted to this very site that indicate they feasted on said bottom feeders).

So at first glance maybe their win total indicates a much better team...but if that is what you think, then you are the one who is mistaken. Their bullpen is terrible and worse than last year and the starting rotation is even worse. Chris Sale was demolished in our park last year and the comeback in game 4 started with him. He is coming off injury where his velocity seems to be down a little and he wasnt great in game one of this years ALDS either. I think I am right to say he may not want any part of the Astros in Minute Maid Park against THIS lineup.

So yes, their lineup is better but our rotation is better and while I am not dismissing them, I am simply saying that for the reasons I just stated I would prefer to play them.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

everything you're basing is last year. lost track of how many times you're referencing it. none of that matters at all.

the boston red sox right now are a much better team than last year. if you think JD is the only thing they have then you don't follow or know enough about that team. again do some research. that team is much more complete and deep.

7. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

While the team is the same, Mookie Betts has gone from a good player to an MVP Caliber player.

We have yet to see that Betts in the postseason though. If that remains the case, the Sox are vulnerable as the complementary players won't play like they did last night too often.

If Betts regains his MVP form, however, a lineup with him, Benintendi and JD Martinez is extremely tough in the meat of the order.

Regardless of who you think the Astros match up better with, a win by the Yankees tonight would be extremely helpful to strain the pitching staffs of both teams and weaken their projected rotation in the ALCS a bit by pushing pitchers back...

Just for tonight...Go Yankees!

8. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Apparently you dont read because my post was not based on last year. Your argument is weak and simply "telling me" that I am wrong. You have yet to say anything other than..."you dont know." Bottom line is this is an opinion thread. I stated my opinion and why I think such. You got anything else other than running around telling people their opinion is wrong without backing it up? If not then quit replying to my posts. If you want to keep playing this game then answer these questions.

Is their bullpen this year good?
    Is their bullpen better than last years (last yr it was a strength btw)?
    Is their rotation this year good?
    Is their rotation better than last years?
    Is there anyone of significance different in their lineup other than JD?

Those are the questions I am basing my opinion on. Sure there are other facets to the game, but we can start there.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Did you actually read his post ?? Because "this season" was referenced multiple times.

I think we beat either team in < 7 games though.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Did you?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

this says differently

12. HTown2017Champs

Totally, and also, Eovaldi. I knew he had some good games, but did not know he was THIS great. Not sure, but via Twitter, I think someone said we checked in on him at the deadline (wonder what the offer was, where he'd even fit, etc.). Would have probably been Nolan and Reid Ryan's doing, as he's from Alvin and has always idolized Nolan Ryan. Maybe as McCullers insurance? Anyway, we did hit the back-to-back-to-back homers off of him, so hopefully we can get to him again if we face him.

13. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Betts was an MVP caliber player 2 years ago too. Doesnt mean he wasnt last year. Judge was MVP caliber last year, doesnt mean he isnt this year. Betts isnt their problem. Just like Lindor isnt the Indians problem. He and JD are good, real good. But every lineup at this time of the year has 2 to 3 of those guys. If we are comparing Boston to New York I would rather face Bostons 2 or 3 of those guys than New Yorks. Even more so than that...I would rather face Bostons bullpen than New Yorks, I would rather face Bostons rotation than New yorks, and I would rather play in Boston than in New York.

Harrisment and Houstunna like this.
  14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why didn't you continue your bolding an extra 3 words ??

I know why.
    You know why.
    Everybody knows why.

Besides your convenient dismisal in this instance, there's other references to THIS SEASON in that post.

You know that.

No point in talking to someone who is so blatantly dishonest. Not your first time either.

SS0101 likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc if last year is the basis of what hes posting then thats exactly what i was referencing to. if the basis is oh but hou did this and that last year, nothing changes this year then yeah its dismissed. Bc last year does not matter

16. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Again you are taking my posts out of context. Who are you? John Lopez? History has no bearing on present or future success I take it. Bc those comments you put in bold are talking about Chris Sales history (moreso post season) against us and the history of this version of the astros compared to what we have done against this version of the red sox.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you dont want it taken out of context then yeah repeatedly saying last year as if it matters now would be ideal to stop referencing it

youll see soon enough this boston team isn't worse than last year. dont be one of the first ones complaining when things get going tough

#77 YOLO, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  18. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Thank you to admitting to taking it out of context. And since you are incapable of connecting the dots...the reference to last year in the first place was that I wasnt scared of last years red sox (who were better) then I am certainly not scared of this years red sox (who are worse). We had trouble with the yankees last year and they got better this year, unlike the red sox who got worse. So yes, I would rather face the red sox.

And oh btw...what are match-ups based on in your world? Bc in my world all we have is history to base these match-ups on.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

youll see soon enough this boston team isn't worse than last year. dont be one of the first ones complaining when things get going tough

20. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Wtf are you talking about? Nothing you say answers anything at all. Typical know it all with meaningless posts. Wow lol