1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] Watchmen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hopefully this amazing graphic novel will finally get the proper treatment:

Damon Lindelof's WATCHMEN Ordered To Series At HBO; Eyeing 2019 Premiere Date

[​IMG]
    It's official: HBO is bringing the the Watchmen to premium cable television as Damon Lindelof's new remixed adaptation of the acclaimed Alan Moore graphic novel has been officially ordered to series.
    Rohan Patel | 8/17/2018
    Filed Under: "Watchmen" Source: The Hollywood Reporter

[​IMG]

Multiple sources are reporting that HBO has officially issued a series order for Damon Lindelof's new Watchmen adaptation and that the premium cable television network is currently eyeing a likely 2019 premiere date.

Lindelof has previously described his upcoming series as a remix of Alan Moore's classic source material with an original story, set in present day, that will explore both new and old characters while asking new groundbreaking questions in the same universe.

The all-star ensemble cast will feature Regina King (American Crime), Jeremy Irons (Justice League), Don Johnson (Django Unchained), Tim Blake Nelson (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs), Louis Gossett Jr. (An Officer and a Gentleman), Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Aquaman), Adelaide Clemens (Rectify), Andrew Howard (Truth or Dare), Tom Mison (Sleepy Hollow), Frances Fisher (Titanic), Jacob Ming-Trent (White Famous), Sara Vickers (Endeavour), Dylan Schombing (Sharp Objects), Lily Rose Smith (The Vampire Diaries), and Adelynn Spoon.

The acclaimed Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons graphic novel was previously adapted as a feature film by Zack Snyder (Justice League) in 2009. A Director's Cut and Ultimate Cut of the film were also later released on home video.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yay. Blue wiener

RunninRaven likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Doesn't sound like it.

da_juice likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I haven't been happy with Lindelof's works.

Grandiose ideas, some execution, disappointing payoff

Wake me when the series ends with a thumbs up or down.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The movie was basically a frame for frame copy of the graphic novel except they changed the cause of the explosion (for the better, imo).

The only weird part of the movie was Rorschach basically begging/crying to be killed. That made no sense.

6. Xerobull

Maybe they'll do the original in flashbacks that nerds will then splice together.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Watchmen the movie had greatness, even if a tad uneven. Its opening montage set to “Blowing in the Wind” was inspired.

I hope they don’t eff this up.

Xenon and arkoe like this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

As haymitch said the movie was a very faithful adaptation of the comics. The giant squid was stupid.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. Xerobull

It was very accurate, visually. That's a Snyder hallmark. Also a hallmark is the wooden acting. He needs to stick to movies like 300 that are all action.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Definitely will check this out. I wish they would do an HBO series based on the Dark Tower similar to GOT.

peleincubus likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In many ways, the movie version was more clever and more interesting than the original.

It was weird, but it made sense to me. Rorshach's rigid moral code wouldn't allow him to live with the cover up, but he knew that if he exposed the truth it would undo what they had done and would cause everyone who died to die in vein and potentially lead to the death of millions of others. As such, he saw himself as a threat, and threats in his mind need to be taken out.

Everyone else was morally flexible enough to live with the cover up in order to not undo the good it did.

Severe Rockets Fan, mikus and fba34 like this.
  12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Completely agree, love or hate Zach Snyder, but the movie adaptation of Watchmen was the best comic book adaption to date, and it really isn't even close. For those that don't know, "The Ultimate Cut" and the "Directors Cut" of Watchmen are on Amazon Prime streaming for free, and I highly recommend at least the Director's Cut if you haven't seen it... it is 24 minutes longer than the theatrical cut. The Ultimate Cut has some added animated scenes cut in (I'd rather have the director's vision).

The Leftovers is one of the best TV shows of all time, and is completely underappreciated. I can't wait to see what Lindelof does with one of the most iconic DC story lines.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say it is one of the best shows of all time, but I definitely feel The Leftovers is very much underappreciated. However, I would have likely never appreciated The Leftovers if I hadn't already been disappointed by Lost, because I wouldn't have gone into The Leftovers already knowing what to expect from Lindelhoff. Once you understand that the mysteries and the plot aren't really his strong suit (or at least not logical mysteries, anyway) but that character development and interaction are in his wheelhouse, then you stop worrying about whether or not the mysteries will be satisfactorily answered and you just appreciate what the dude does well.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

First full teaser trailer

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I wasn't a fan of Snyder's movie. It was certainly "faithful," in its way, but I felt that it wildly, WILDLY flubbed the tone and the horror of the comics. Slick action scenes and sexy movie stars were just so out of place for this story, even if that's obviously how you get a big-budget comic-book movie made. As for the ending, the purely imaginative, over-the-top insanity of the "squid" was a major reason why the plan worked. Snyder's style in general is unappealing to me, but I will admit he was definitely on his best behavior with Watchmen.

The movie really made me wish for a series, instead. Preferably animated, since the artwork is so much a part of the storytelling. I haven't seen the Leftovers (it looked way too depressing) and Lost never interested me, so I hope Lindelof shows me something with this (I'm sure it will be depressing, too). I will say the prevalence of masks on damn near everyone in the sneak peeks so far is interesting—a kind of reaction to the end of privacy, maybe.

16. Nero

Nero Member

The Watchmen movie was pretty much a huge disappointment for me. I had been a fan of the graphic novel, but the changes made in the movie simply did not work. Not because the space squid idea wasn't inherently stupid, but because, if not for the elaborate hoax of the squid, and all the time, energy and resources which went into it, then what exactly did Comedian stumble upon, to send him weeping to that ex-villain?

There were two main problems with the movie (well three really). The first, and most inexcusable, problem was with the casting. The casting for Ozymandias was all wrong. But at least the actor could *act*, and he did as good a job with the role as he could, he was simply the wrong person for the role. But the most horrific casting was of course Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre. The only thing I can think of is that she must had one hell of a casting-couch audition, because that girl absolutely did not belong in that role, or in any other for that matter. She *ruined* the movie.

The second problem was the needless decision to change the 'foil' of the story from a 'space alien hoax' to one of 'blaming' an attack on Dr. Manhattan. Instead of sending out a blast of psychic 'revulsion' at this alien 'thing' which would align the whole world, united against this 'threat', it just because a betrayal by an ostensibly 'American' entity, so the world could unite against that instead. May seem like a small thing, but it really changed the flavor me, and not in a good way. Far less clever on the part of Ozymandias, frankly.

And that leads into the last flaw, which wasn't a flaw of the movie per se, but rather a fatal flaw in the graphic novel itself.

The character of Dr. Manhattan was a walking and talking personification of a Deus Ex Machina. He was simply 'Godlike Power' in a blue naked man form.

So, ok, sure, but then, this cosmic entity decides to join up with a local costume-wearing bunch of 'crime-fighters' to stop purse-snatchers and bootleggers?

No. Just, no. Complete nonsense. It's terrible idea because it just would not happen. Such a cosmically powerful being would not have done any of that. But, since the story goes nowhere without this deus-ex character, then the entire premise is fatally flawed. I still enjoyed the novel, and I can watch the movie (especially the Director's cut, which is a great improvement over the theatrical release), but mainly watch it with a kind of wistful disappointment. I was incredibly eager to see it when it came out, but the double-whammy of bad casting decisions, coupled with the change at the end.. it just fell flat.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

I disagree with pretty much all of this, if anything history has taught us is that it's easier to get people United against the other instead of the thing, if you really extrapolate it people would easily go to conspiracy theory over the squid when Dr Manhattan is a much more clear and believable threat.

Did not have a huge issue with Akerman sounds like you just have an issue with the actress her acting was not great but not terrible either.

Never understood the backlash against the movie it's my favorite superhero movie by far I was actually engaged the entire time.

Anyway different strokes for different folks.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Agreed. It was one of my favorites.

19. droxford

droxford Member

That trailer was really f***ing annoying.

Xenon, arkoe and Entropy like this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah it didn't really pique my interest at all. And yeah it was annoying too; I don't want to watch it again.