1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018/2019 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 1, 2018.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They really are going down kicking and screaming into the new era. It's a shame because, if I had the option of paying $15 per month for a service that gave me access to all of ESPN's streaming and broadcast content, outside of a cable contract, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Instead they are going to do everything they can to make it a piecemeal experience for fans.

That said, this is probably because of the huge deals they've paid for the broadcast rights to the NBA, NFL and MLB. I doubt we'll get a true streaming-only option so long as the current old media deals exists.

#181 mtbrays, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    ferrari77 likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Seems we had an agreement with Brandt a year ago and then backed off, so he extended his contract.
    I think the club wants a bigger name, either for marketing or a top performer with high upside.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So your educated guess the big name will be up front and not at the defensive back?

4. Raz

Raz Member

Yeah, remember something like that. Still think we should go after him in 2019, after we say goodbye to Robben and Ribéry (depending on their performance in the upcoming season, of course).

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We already have Pavard for 2019, don't think we need more than Süle-Hummels-Pavard-Martinez (plus some youth guys) as central backs.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

No way that's Jordi. Looks so weird!

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Raz

Raz Member

Deadline Day today in the Premier League. Eventhough other leagues profit from that early date, I think all UEFA countries should have a unitary deadline. That's not something too hard to install.

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It suffices that the 5th best leagues will do it but I think it will come down to the last vote.

At least this season it is going to be interesting. Mourinho is going to moan.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Tottenham today became the only team in premier league history to not do a summer transfer, cray stat.

Jontro likes this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

They're building a new stadium so they might go quiet in the transfer market in January as well. They finished top four and will play champions league soccer so they're not doing too bad. If they feel they can maintain top four with their current roster under the financial constraints more power to them but Arsenal better ****ing beat them

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's see what this Unai Emery fuss is all about.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

I think we finish top four easy, I'm excited to see more Torrerea and Guendouzi. With an improved defense, Sexy Lexi and Aubame "Blood Clot" yang we should bang with Man city this season for the league. I'm ****ing excited about this season! I felt shitty this time last year because I knew we were gonna suck. I'm very optimistic

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Slow down.

Arsenal had the defense of a mid tier team last season and they will have the same problem again this season.

An old Lichtsteiner is the only upgrade they made and even he will split time for Bellerin.

They are going into the season without any defender on the left wing. Kolasinac suffered injury in preseason and is out for a couple of months. Monreal is still recovering from knee issues.

And then there is the mess at CB. Kos is out. Mustafi is too unpredictable. Holding makes too many errors. Mavropanos is too young and should have been out on a loan.

They brought in Sokratis who has looked terrible in the preseason and frankly is on the decline.

Arsenal defense is a mess which is why they were still shopping for another CB at deadline but nothing materialized.

IMO, Arsenal finally rectified their midfield but their poor defense is going to keep them out of Top 4.

There is absolutely no way they are getting a better record than Man City and Liverpool. Also, Spurs is a better all-around team and their solid defense and stability means they should finish ahead of Arsenal as well.

Which means Arsenal has to do better than both Chelsea AND Man U to finish in top 4 and I dont see that happening.

Their best chance is to win the Europa and thats what they should be gunning for.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Spanish radio saying Thiago has agreed to a deal with Real Madrid, clubs starting negotiations possibly.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Man U is so boring to watch on Offense.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

mou, the boring one, brings a net negative on entertainment value wherever he goes. would rather watch a 2000s spurs vs pistons finals than mou's team.

ramotadab and daywalker02 like this.
  18. ferrari77

Barca fans for sure working themselves in a tizzy over that one.

Just like Atletico fans seeing Courtous sign with Real.

19. ferrari77

Imagine actually being a fan of United.

Solid win nonetheless but looks like another season in which my time will be better spent watching Liverpool, Spurs, probably West Ham and Newcastle as well rather than United.

Jontro likes this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Everton should also be a fun team, good transfers this summer.

daywalker02 and ferrari77 like this.