1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I went to the double header games in Oakland last year and Stassi's mother/family sat directly behind me. She sounded super supportive and kind, basically like she was still rooting on her little leaguer.

vince likes this.
  2. prospecthugger

It will probably reflect poorly on their prospect stock if any of those 3 aren't graduated by the end of 2019, and the 2019 draft isn't exactly going to yield a high pick. After those 3 graduate, the system will likely be middle of the pack due to strong pitching depth, but devoid of high end hitters. Beer might develop to be similar to Alvarez, but Arauz is basically the only position player in full season ball you can squint and think he could be a top 25 prospect. Other than that, you're hoping Nova or another rookie leaguer breaks out.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They will also come out of the restrictions in the international pool after this year. Plus it is likely they will have an extra pick next year and in subsequent years as they lose QO guys like Keuchel and Cole. So they have a chance to keep the pipeline strong. But counting on Top 25 type guys is a tall order.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Luhnow has pulled some rabbits out of his hat ...

vince likes this.
  5. Progs

Progs Member

Hmmm... With all three expect to possibly make the team out of Spring Training. You will probably have Corbin Martin and Seth Beer near or at the top as the best pitcher and hitter in the farm system. I mean... our hope is that the Astros would win back to back championships and anything after that is gravy.

crose likes this.
  6. Progs

Progs Member

Didnt we trade like a million dollars out of international pool for next season ?!

7. prospecthugger

Nah, they traded 250K for the current penalized period. You're not even allowed to trade future pool money. I thought I remember seeing somewhere that they're connected to one kid already, but can't remember where i saw it.

8. Progs

Progs Member

if there is a sleeper as a hitter it can be Alex McKeena. His defense at CF is decent but something about the coaching he's getting in the minors is working. He's hit 5 hrs already in around 100 abs and is only 20.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  9. htownbball

htownbball Member

Wouldn't necessarily call him a sleeper, he was rated #97 overall draft prospect by MLB.com. Somehow he dropped to the 4th round. Probably a left fielder who can hit .280 and 15 homers

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

In looking at who might be the next Top 100 guys in the system, I would say these are the guys with the ceiling to do it (in order of likelihood):

OF Seth Beer
    RHP Corbin Martin
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    SS Jonathan Arauz
    RHP Jairo Solis
    SS Freudis Nova
    RHP Jayson Schroeder
    3B Joe Perez
    RHP Tyler Ivey
    3B Abraham Toro
    OF JJ Matijevic

I think Beer, Bukauskas, and Martin will be in the back half of most Top 100 lists this offseason. Arauz, Toro, Ivey, and Matijevic would need a great start in AA next season to break in on the midsesson lists. Nova, Perez, and Schroeder would need to be assigned to full season ball and get off to a good start. Solis would need to open up dominant in High A.

11. Progs

Progs Member

I love Schroeder but he is a few years away from making it close to the majors and a year at least into cracking the top 100 list if he becomes as good as I think he can.

12. Progs

Progs Member

I think only Martin. Beer will by mid year in 2019. Not as high on JB as most of y'all.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

They are certainly the Top 100 candidates. Bukauskas will have to finish strong to make the list, but he does have the pedigree.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

J.B. Bukauskas @ Down East: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 6 K

J.J. Matijevic and Jonathan Arauz have both homered for Buies Creek. Matijevic's was a solo and he now has 14 in the Carolina League and 17 overall. Arauz hit a two-run blast, his 3rd with Buies Creek and 7th overall.

No Worries and texans1095 like this.
  15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Very encouraged with how Bukauskas' last few starts have gone. Seems to have righted the ship.

16. texans1095

texans1095 Member

JB is back. Very excited to see how he finishes the season and where he starts next season.

17. prospecthugger

Nathan Perry hit a 408 ft HR in his NYPL debut. Game story said that he hit another flyball ~100mph for an out in CF.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

I am concerned about Joe Perez. Unless he is being converted into a catcher, or back into a pitcher, the only excuse I can see for him not being played since 3 July is injury. But there has been no word on him (that I've seen, anyway). Also, I'm curious as to why it is so difficult to find information on the guys in the complex leagues. Do the writers covering the Astros just not ask?

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Guys in the GCL just don’t get much attention unless it’s an extremely high draft pick like Correa. So no reporter is likely to ask about Perez. I agree that he is likely hurt and that it is concerning, but until we know for sure, he’s still one of the highest ceiling guys in the system, especially given that his results when he has played (sss) have been very encouraging.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member