1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin traded to Hawks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That means he'll be traded twice in one year.
    Don't think it will happen.

2. tinman

Supporting Member

Young will get more playing time and this will end up like every year
    history repeats itself
    and this thread will be at the bottom or disappear

3. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I think the question about race was more about why he didn't get recruited by any D1 colleges (other than the Ivy League) coming out of high school than it was about getting drafted in the NBA. In HS, he was the star player of his HS team that won a California state championship, but no D1 schools other than Harvard and Brown were interested.

His college career was good, with his best games coming against strong programs like UConn (where he outplayed Kemba Walker and UConn's coach said that Lin was "the best guard on the floor") and he was a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award (award to the best collegiate point guard). I agree that getting drafted in the NBA doesn't always work out, but he was a legitimate consideration for it (see Morey's comment about his system identifying Lin as a player that should have been taking in the middle of the 1st round).

As far as "not cutting it on any competitive teams", not sure how you can say that. He helped the Knicks, Rockets and Hornets get to the playoffs, playing significant minutes (25+mpg) on all of those teams despite coming off the bench in Houston and Charlotte. Lakers were tanking when he was there and he was injured with the Nets. Did he make mistakes as a young player? Sure. But to say that he hasn't played well enough to be a legitimate NBA player is ridiculous. I agree that at this point in his career, he's probably not going to get any better than he has shown...but I think much of that was situational, and that if he had more support from his coaches, he could have developed into a player like Dragic or Conley. At this point, with the combination of the lack of development, his injuries and his age, he's best suited as a backup combo guard.

Chamillionaire and plutoblue11 like this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Lin jerseys might be valuable in the future if people keep burning them. Can you blame anyone for burning them though? He has yet to find a home in any team-fan's heart. Player-fan heart? Becoming debatable...

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

May the Lin Force be with Him.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We have a forum for the political stuff, folks. I call it The Basement, an appropriate moniker for D&D, in my opinion.

I just thought a senator should know. ;)

7. amaru

amaru Member

Nationality =/= Race =/= Ethnicity

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

He’s from Palo Alto
    I have a friend who lives there.
    Middle class is considered $500000 a year household income

9. amaru

amaru Member

Pretty straight forward.
    Jeremy Lin
    Nationality : American
    Race: Asian
    Ethnicity: not sure with specific Taiwanese ethnic group/groups his family comes from but that would go here.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

You got to put where he grew up
    Like Ibaka grew up with no shoes and was homeless in Africa

If getting benched or seeing a poster of Carmelo Anthony in a Rockets jersey makes you pray for Gods help then your life ain’t that hard

11. Senator

Senator Member

There are black players with the exact same credentials who were overlooked. I dont recall scouting ever being a bullet proof process, and there are plenty of overlooked guys of all races who prove everyone wrong. Rodman, Ginobili , Barea, marc gasol, arenas etc. That doesnt include the hardship of growing up in very low income neighborhoods without exposure like Harden.

We are dealing with a clear minority bias here, in that other like minded minorities see things with tunnel vision to prop up his value and thereby their own. The media ran with it. But the reality is scouting isnt a cant miss process and he had a lot of shortcomings as a player that were always on display save for 2 weeks with a 2nd string team. Other players have had longer hot streaks.

And he played it up. Big time. The actual talent like yu Darvish nip it in the bud, the unable lean on it to prevent being exposed. No other underdog fell back on race, although they overcame much more, with more talent, and contributed more to winning. All time did was reveal the truth, your excuses reveal nothing. Could have, should have , youre displaying a clear minority bias. An apology to the scouts is in order, but they'll never receive one.

Sorry to be blunt. Not every white man spends every waking moment trying to keep everyone else down. The society created that allows people of all races and talents to thrive was not created by your home country, but by that evil white man.

#171 Senator, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Zboy likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

I don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Basketball: Scrub

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Lin had Conley potential? Think that’s going too far.

saleem likes this.
  15. yoeddy

Yes, very true today. Not so true in the late 80s when the Lins first moved there.

16. yoeddy

Daryl Morey acknowledges his bias about scouting Lin out of college. Why can’t you?

17. yoeddy

Ok, sure...how high his potential was is debatable. My point tho is that he probably won’t reach his potential because of the variety of circumstances in the NBA, but that he still has played well enough to prove he belongs in the league.

Btw...I used Conley because Conley is IMHO one of those PGs who is more about how he plays style-wise than he is about pure athleticism.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Those tech stocks today are worth millions and their house if they didn’t sell already is probably worth 3 million
    This excludes their kid making millions in the nba

19. yoeddy

Yup....today they are doing very well. I’m sure their house is worth millions now too. But in the late 80s, Palo Alto was still very much a regular middle class town.

20. Senator

Senator Member

It's been proven one entitled, privileged ivy league student will always blow steam up the other. That is the culture at places like Yale, Harvard etc. to create a PC atmosphere. But PC has little to do with the facts.

Yi Jianlin was the 7th pick in the draft. Was racism missing that year?