1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: rockets pursuing James Ennis, decision by Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 10, 2018.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the problem is that iko has been spewing fictitious garbage for quite some time, that's why i have no intention of giving him the benefit of the doubt now.

#201 pippendagimp, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    REEKO_HTOWN, saleem and mikol13 like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Man, this is seriously weird math in the age of Fake News. This isn't a game of who's closer to Iko's very bad number, .luz.

We are talking about how wrong Iko is. We are talking about his Fake News. And any talk (positive or negative) is helping him, anyhow. Fake News works that way. There is no need for you to defend Rockets twitter personalities, who don't have the guts to post here.

#202 heypartner, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    REEKO_HTOWN and Zoplicone like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ennis milking this sh*t now...hurry up bro

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I like your posts

5. anchel

anchel Member

Can we celebrate already??

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Another source talking to the Rockets, yes. And I don't know how you can say MacMahon was wrong, unless you're privy to the negotiations. You're simply choosing to believe Feigen's side more. Which is fine. But you can believe that without accusing the other person of lying or making things up.

Here's a few examples of the interactions I was referring to:

Players and GMs don't praise and/or congratulate media members who make things up. And credible national media members with hundreds of thousands of followers like Matt Moore don't go out of their way to praise the work of people who make things up and/or recycle news.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I don't defend people blindly out of hope that maybe it could somehow benefit me. I defend him because I see him working his butt off, and you're outright accusing the guy of making things up (that's what guessing and slapping "Source: XXX" on something is). There's nothing more insulting than that.

I think a more fair critique of Kelly would be this: He's a good reporter with a strong work ethic, but he's young. He doesn't have the years of relationships that others do, so my hunch is that he gets more information from the player/agent side than he does the team front office. And sometimes, those reports aren't going to paint a complete picture. (I think Daryl, in particular, is someone that values trust above all else, so it takes him a while to open up to newbies. In general, the Rockets' FO is super tight-lipped on negotiating items... but what few leaks there are -- often for strategic purposes -- tend to go through Feigen, Woj, Amick, etc.)

My assessment of Kelly is that his reporting is basically one piece of a complex puzzle. And if you don't want to sift and sort through it and prefer to wait until a Feigen (local) or Woj (national) has the whole story, that's completely your prerogative. But it irks me to see people I know who work their butts off in this industry (I'll admit it, Kelly works harder than I do) get accused of lying by people who don't even know them. And that's not me speaking out of some sort of twisted self-interest in the "sources" game. That's me as a human being showing empathy to someone I respect.

Now you're just making stuff up. He didn't say 5 teams -- he specifically listed the 5 teams. And the Clippers, who signed Luc less than 24 hours later, were one of them.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/08/houston-rockets-luc-mbah-a-moute-offers-free-agency/

hakeem94, Deckard, robgue and 4 others like this.
  7. The Cat

Here's Berman reporting something Kelly had 5 days ago:

Is Berman fake news, now?

Vivi likes this.
  8. heypartner

Like I say, this isn't a game of who is closer to Iko's very wrong number. Besides, Feigen has been confirmed by others, too.

Iko was also $20m off MacMahon's number of Capela's ask.

Next time you see Iko, be our source and ask him why he won't post here. The answer will be because it won't help him. All he needs from us is ppl to post his tweets. He doesn't need to defend them.

As for you, this is not the Iko Fake Newst tweet you want to defend.

mikol13 likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I guess Ennis isnt super excited to sign here either for the minimum lol

Cstyle42 likes this.
  10. The Cat

Now you're rounding $12M to $20M?

Also, for clarification, the point was "closer to Nurkic." He put $48M in his tweet because that's how it was initially reported by Woj, but it actually ended up being $53M (and he clarified that in his story here). It's pretty clear that Nurkic was the analogy he was given, rather than a specific number. And MacMahon's report was very close to that.

Feigen, of course, is saying something different. The "others" are probably talking to the same people Jonathan did in the Rockets' front office. That doesn't make it right. It makes it one side of the story. MacMahon/Iko were told the other, I presume from the agency's side. Truth probably somewhere in between.

I wouldn't want to post somewhere if people who don't know me accuse me of lying about things. Seems like that would be a waste of time, since you've already judged his character before even knowing him.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nobody has. Gerald just loves this city too much.

saleem likes this.
  13. heypartner

You're talking about players/GM interacting with the media? I thought you were talking about Locker Room or Press Pass in person interaction.

His ability to get players/GM to like or reply is what I meant by he knows Twitter. The guy knows Twitter and how to leverage his credentials with USA Today and leverage Fake News techniques to get clicks for his employer. But I have seen him wrong at lot, and have yet to see him be correct about anything that wasn't already reported (Rockets been after Nick Young since MDA), and he's afraid to post here.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

MCW has too, because no one apart from Morey was willing to offer him the minimum.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He shouldn't even count. He's actually not even getting the minimum guaranteed. he's paying to play here lol.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Tell him to go sign with the Warriors for $12 a hour then lol

J Sizzle likes this.
  17. The Cat

I've seen plenty of "in person" examples from those same people and plenty of others. But the social acknowledgements from guys like Daryl, Luc, and Matt Moore aren't given out like candy. They do it because they see him grinding away on a daily basis.

For clarity, everyone's "wrong" a lot. Myself included. I would argue that if you want to discredit someone in the "sources" business by finding evidence of them being wrong, you can pretty much discredit any of us. It's hard in a business where all sides either want to keep things private or use you for misinformation. Hell, Woj had the Rockets drafting Tyus Jones a couple years ago.

Instead of twisting things to fit your pre-determined narrative that he's either lying, guessing, or playing some sort of clever Twitter "Fake News" game, be open-minded to the fact that he could be genuinely trying his best to report information, but it's a hard business. Some you get right, some you get wrong.

kubli9 likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm confused. I don't know anything about this Iko guy. Is he a legit insider? or a legit nba analyst? is he a rockets beat writer? what's his deal? Seems like not everyone is a fan.

19. The Cat

He covers the Rockets for the USA Today Sports Media Group. So basically, a beat guy.

He's had sourced reports -- some right, some wrong. Make of it whatever you will. I only jumped in when the accusations of lying or guessing started, which is absolutely not the case.

Deckard and Aruba77 like this.
  20. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

What are you talking about? Some right, some wrong? You're shrugging it off as if he forgot to pick up the ketchup from the grocery store. Journalists have to have multiple sources telling him the same piece of information before going to print (or Twitter). Because if you are incorrect, the audience has the right to question your credibility. Defending him because people are saying he is making up stuff or lying is beyond the point. He lost his credibility. Clutch and Shams went out of their way to say his reports were incorrect. That is all.

saleem likes this.