1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs closing in on Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd do the same, for a 1st rounder i might also eat Matthews contract tbh, but i'm not sure i would do that if i'm the Mavs.

Dallas needs a center badly though, even more after they gave up their 2019 pick, they can't tank next season, i guess they expect Noel to be gone regardless, probably they don't want him back anyway. Maybe they don't like the idea of throwing a max to Cousins (they already throw a bad contract to Matthews after he had the same injury) and they feel like they wouldn't be able to get Capela. Nurkic is also available imo, not sure Portland will match a max, but i don't think he's worth it at all.

All things considered, DeAndre might be a good pick up for them, 24M this season, but i think DeAndre might cost them less from next season, something like 15M per season won't be bad, even if less good than Capela/Cousins, he's still a good fit there and would cost them 10/15M less than a max to those guys, they would be able to relocate that money in another spot.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If he opts in he can of course be traded to the Mavs. And not back out. So, he can't double-screw them.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I bet our boy Mark has DJ's address bookmarked this time.

Google now, Deandre Jordan's house

Directions to 1st Round Exit

NO mother******! Google now Dee-ahn-dray Jordan's house

Directions to Chicago, host of the NBA Draft Lottery

**** yooouuuu GOOOGLE!!!!

RyanB, s3ts, PhilCollins and 2 others like this.
  4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

This was pretty clever and original. Thanks for the laugh.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If I was them, I'd tell him I'd sign him to a 4 year max deal; all he has to do is opt out. Then as soon as he opts out I'd tell him I changed my mind. No offer.

RyanB, Dacamel and malakas like this.
  6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Not necessarily, it depends if you have a Player option or an Early Termination Option.

A Player Option gives the player the right to extend his contract one extra year. This is what Lebron has. For a Player option, if you exercise your option then you are extending your deal one extra year. If you do nothing then you are a UFA.

An Early Termination Option gives a player the right to remove the final year of his contract. If you have an ETO, then exercising your option means that your contract is terminated and your are a UFA. If you do nothing then the final year of your contract applies.

According to ShamSports, Jordan also has a player option. That means that he would to notify the Clippers that he is exercising his player option to extend his contract one additional year.

The player option is much more common than an ETO (because it has less restrictions on when you can give it). In the case of Player Options, you do indeed "opt-in" to accept the last year of your existing contract.

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Apologies are in order from me to @kwakmeister . Sorry for the false confidence in understanding the CBA.

kwakmeister and aelliott like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just opted out of $24M. :eek:

Should probably consider himself lucky if he gets half of that on the open market (IMO).

BigShasta, whiskeyred, RyanB and 4 others like this.
  9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Splash for real... what a risk. Maybe he really thinks HOU is an option? Maybe Lebron told Morey trade Capela and bring DJ in or else I'm a Laker? Maybe Murray has a Capela deal lined up?

Stay tuned for the next episode of...

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, that's why i always say...you never know what's going to happen.

"Aldridge will sign a 1+1 just to get a bigger contract next season"..."Chris Paul will sign a max this summer, he's the president of players, can't leave money on the table"..."DeAndre is not opting out bla bla"

The only thing we know is that we just don't know ****.

bratna8 likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Two posts above, Dallas didn't want to trade picks (i guess @Deuce nailed it, West probably asked for a future 1st here) so DeAndre probably opted out and will sign as a free agent there for a bit more money than what they would've give him after a trade if he would've opt in.

Deuce likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

surprised he opted out. I didn't really take into account there may have been agreement for DJ and dallas if hes going there already in place. hard to say he would still make more money had he opted in in the long run. Of course that depends on what we find out he gets. so well see.

what if this guy commits to Dallas, then when the LA drama unfolds he bolts again back there lol

ak99999, RyanB and Vivi like this.
  14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Need @basketballholic to confirm this

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol that would be really hilarious.

Anyway yeah, i agree with you, pretty sure he's going to get less money next season then what he would've got by opting in, i just wonder if by opting out while letting the Mavs get him for free, he will get a bit more money on his contract, like, let's say he was going to opt in, at that point he would've got 24M this season and maybe an extension worth 40/45M in 3 years, that would've been something like 65/70M for the next 4 years. Maybe now he'll sign a 4 year deal for the same amount but just distributed in 4 years so, pretty much 17/18M per year.

YOLO likes this.
  16. Asian Sensation

I too think he’ll be losing money in the end. Not surprising though cause he said all along that he’d take a discount to play for a contender. He must be pretty confident that some other marquee FA(s) will be joining him because they’re not close.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. LostTXWrangler

Clippers have to make moves atleast next offseason if they miss out this month. Great owner .

19. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

[​IMG]

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hope it happens