1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Lottery Night Tonight

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 15, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Don't really know what the Suns are going to do, not saying Doncic doesn't make sense but...they have already two great talents in the back court with Booker and Jackson, both guys are also going to have the ball a lot in their hands, instead, in the friont court they're super weak, Chriss, Bender at the 4, no center...i'm not saying they should draft Ayton but eh...sure, they can draft Doncic and sign Capela, the problem is they won't sign Capela cause i don't see us not matching at this point (and this assuming he's going to sign an offer sheet with them, for what we know he can sign with any team with cap space, Suns might not even be able to sign him in the first place). They'll have a better chance with signing Smart since i don't see Ainge matching an important contract for him, and he should also fit in Phoenix next to Booker since he's a great defender already used to play offball.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

star based on what? hs tape? we've seen that over and over. not really logical there

sure he has potential but the same goes for everyone else. the difference is guys are actually playing and proving it against their competition

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yes, but Suns, Kings, Hawks, etc are teams that tanked away a full season just to get here.

You don't draft for today, but for the future. 3 years down the road Porter will be the best player taken in this draft. His game fits today's style and requirements. Big men are not worth the top pick anymore. This will be the Durant-Oden draft all over again.

I never said anything about his style or game. I said I don't buy the hype on him especially for a European player. I've seen too many of them flame out in the past.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

guess im not has high on mp as you are. theres way too many guys with hype like him, that have the body type but dont turn into anything special. to each its own. its not like ayton and doncic are ages apart from MP. theyre all basically the same age, doncic being about a year younger

6. BigO

BigO Member

A lot of these young euro kids are project who flame out, because they're really raw and their potential is based on what they could do rather then what they can already do. Meanwhile Doncic at the age of 19 is already best Euroleague player where competition is much better then NCCA. In Comparison Dirk/Porzingis/Giannis/Battum were projects. And numerous ones that did not pan out, because a lot of them were hit or miss, even if they had great potential. Meanwhile Doncic is as much proven player as it can be coming to NBA, he also won Euro championship and is only age 19. So not really sure about flaming out, but i guess we'll wait and see.

Nook and malakas like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Very exciting that the crappy teams get the high picks. From some articles I've read, it seems that Boston could have gotten pick 2 or pick 3.

Imagine Boston taking whoever the first pick passed on.

Ayton has the potential to be Anthony Davis / Joel Embiid / Demarcus Cousins. He's not just another Capela.

The PnR or PnP with Booker will be ridiculously hard to guard. It would also improve Booker's game (with the assists) and space the floor for PHX's other players.

BigO likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, one more reason to not pass him then.

9. BigO

BigO Member

Ayton is amazing and Suns deffo need to pick him, they have enough wings as it is, they'd be crazy to pass on him, this also would work for Kings given that they already have quite few up and coming bigs and not much on the wing.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ahh, meant to quote another poster, haha. I agree with your post though. I think Ayton > Doncic, for the Suns.

Vivi likes this.
  11. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

12. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's always risky in terms of signing restricted FA. Two teams are basically playing a game of Texas Hold Em to see who catches who's bluff.

In this case they can either spend more money than they need to and fill a hole that they've needed to fill for some time or draft a playmaker that might actually become a decent PG to play next to Booker.

Plus you have the two connections; Luka with the coach and Ayton with the entire state.

Will be cool to see what direction they go, but atm I'd place my bets on Doncic being the pick.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He's a 6'10" wing player who can shoot. The NBA has changed so much in the last decade that centers are useless. Best teams in the league don't even have a center. Everyone is playing small and has players who can rotate and switch on defense. There are a lot of videos of Porter playing King of the Hill at basketball camps around the country and dominating now NBA players. His skills will translate.

Look at what Boston does in the draft, they draft the athletic wing player every year and that team is awesome. (Jaylen Brown, Jason Tatum).

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

and thats exactly why ayton is that much more valuable bc hes not a traditional center. he fits the mold of exactly what a modern day big does in this era. there's a reason why hes a consensus #1/2 pick.

theres wing players year after year after year who come in with hype. and thats all it is hype. all of this commonly turns into wesley johnson/marvin williams type players. until MP can prove he can play at a higher level, thats all it is. if you use hs footage to judge a player thats your preference not mine.

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

All I saw from Ayton was that in the tournament against Buffalo, they put him in a pick roll and roasted him over and over again. If he couldn't guard the players on Bufallo, he has no shot at guarding anyone in the NBA. Paul and Harden will feast on him time and time again.

He does remind me a lot of KAT. But like the guy from Minnesota posted in our thread, KAT is a lot of fluff and no substance. Sure he puts up numbers, but it doesn't translate to wins. That team fell apart without Butler.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

your making judgments like that for a 19 yr old kid. come on now. atleast have some sense of reality.

so your logic is judging him by paul and harden. going with that logic, if MP can't even play against ncaa players, he has no shot at NBA players.

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

All I was saying is he doesn’t have the foot speed to stay in front of guards. If he doesn’t have the speed now, he will never have the speed. Cuz he’s only gonna add more weight and get slower as he ages.

You can’t judge MP on anything he did in college he played 2 games when he probably should not have played at all cuz he was injured.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Talk all you want about Donic and the Igor connection, but I don't see the Suns not take their HOMETOWN guy in Ayton who fills a need and will be cheap relative to his skill set. You don't have to blow cap resources on Capela when you can get a cost controlled C in Ayton. Those cap resources then can be allocated to other areas.

Remember the Suns GM is making the pick, not Igor. The local synergy of Ayton probably would be huge for ticket sales and marketing too.

Imagine the Rockets passing on their local guy, Olajuwon for a foreign prospect.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

your judgement of him being able to stay infront of guards just isn't valid. you saying everything based on you watching a few minutes of his buffalo game means very little

you can't judge? why not? you're already judging him and calling him this supposed star. youre applying your logic to ayton yet it doesn't apply to MP. it doesn't work that way