1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon: "We can’t isolate as much against a good defensive team. I don’t care who you are."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drogba, May 15, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think that was the main reason. obviously the plan was to guard kd and hes going to get his points. again theres nothing you can do about that when youre playing as well as you can on defense. the same way GS can't do anything about harden/paul. they're going to get theres. if they wanted to limit KD they would of forced the ball out of kd's hands and make others make plays

what they didnt plan for was the defensive breakdowns and to's that gs all took adv of which goes back to @Downtown Sniper post

2. Nook

Nook Member

How do you explain his defense? He has been by far the worst defender on the Rockets in the playoffs.

3. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

have you not watch gerald greens defense?.

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think he's one of our best defenders.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

wait Gordon?

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Accidental post

8. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

If I were keeping stats, almost all of KD's isos would have gone down as uncontested lol

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We were last after the All-star game. See this thread.

Being slowest is not the same as having a low pace. Pace is a two way thing. It has something to do with how the opponents play too. Speed on the other hand is controlled by the team offense. We have been last in speed the whole season. The pace also dropped a lot in the second half of the season after our offense had settled to a rhythm.

According to the article, the slow offensive speed help save our energy so that we can play harder on defense.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I do agree that the ISOs by Harden and CP3 took way too long and that did remind me of the McFail era(error). I get that the Warriors are a great defensive team, but so were the Jazz and I don't remember those two dribbling around aimlessly for 20 seconds in the last series. The problem is not ISO-ball. That's what the Rockets do. It's that their two point guards were way too indecisive. Even when Draymond went to the bench with foul trouble, they seemed hesitant to attack the rim and I have no idea why. Gobert ain't waiting for them in there anymore. Was it that they were afraid the Foster Brothers crew would swallow their whistles?

Harden must be aggressive and go at the Warriors defense immediately. If they get a couple steals or offensive fouls, so be it. If the refs don't send him to the line every time, fine. But if you dribble around for the entire shotclock before jacking up a contested 3, that's an even worse possession and the Warriors will get a long rebound and be off to the races.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, it's 2 out of the 4. Those 3&D guys were not hitting their shots either.

But here is the thing. During the regular season, those four guys (Ariza, Tucker, Luc, Gordon) shot 22.3 3s. In Game 1 against the Warriors, they shot 16 times. That's almost 30% drop of 3pt attempts by those players. It's just one game. So can't say it is a trend. But it could also be the result of the Warriors defense that has reduced the open 3 by the spot up guys.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

never mind. It’s 2018.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets have beaten Warriors with Durant. Let's not act like beating this team is inconcievable or impossible.

The defeatist attitude after a single loss is ridiculous.

Deckard and steddinotayto like this.
  14. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

You think the Warriors care about the regular season lmao

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets lock down a scrub like Swaggy P, then they would of had chance to win at end.

Shots don't fall sometimes but always have to put in balls to wall effort on D, even on the scrubs.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I could care less about their feelings, just get out there and kick their collective asses.

Need to make them feel you on D on every possession, they are not physical team.

Jake Tower likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Yes Eric Gordon.

He has been almost unplayable on the defensive side for months now.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Then you are wrong.

He hasn't been one of the Rockets best defenders for a long stretch of games, and had been atrocious in the playoffs.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I'm saying people here are saying ISO won't work but it clearly worked perfectly for GSW (they had more ISO possessions than us)

Harden's ISO (points per possesion) was actually very efficient
    So may the strategy should have been to force the ball out of kds hands. Howbout if they double of draymond and force dray to beat them. Just like gsw sagged of tucker

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's a playoff mentality...we lost the first game of the series at home to one of the best teams ever assembled, I consider myself a realist.