1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2017 Fantasy Baseball (3 MLB Teams Per Owner)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by fadeaway, Feb 28, 2017.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Because I can't bring myself to root for Carlos Gomez, I'll go with the Tigers.

3. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

4. LonghornFan

1 LonghornFanGuyF*ks! - Houston Astros
    2 Al'z Starz - Washington Nationals
    3 Keegan Yuhl-C - Chicago Cubs
    4 Fade - Boston Red Sox
    5 kaleidosky - Cleveland Indians
    6 TeamDiscoveryChannel - New York Yankees
    7 Cody Jay's Team - Los Angeles Dodgers
    8 Kenny Powers Posse - Arizona Diamondbacks
    9 Crestonia Reactions - St. Louis Cardinals
    10 DC PhiSlammaJamma - Los Angeles Angels

11 DC PhiSlammaJamma - New York Mets
    12 Crestonia Reactions - Minnesota Twins
    13 Kenny Powers Posse - Colorado Rockies
    14 Cody Jay's Team - Milwaukee Brewers
    15 TeamDiscoveryChannel - Seattle Mariners
    16 kaleidosky - San Francisco Giants
    17 Fade - Baltimore Orioles
    18 Keegan Yuhl-C - Cincinnati Reds
    19 Al'z Starz- Philadelhia Phillies
    20 LonghornFanGuyF*ks! - Texas Rangers

21 Keegan Yuhl-C- Atlanta Braves
    22 DC PhiSlammaJamma - Pittsburgh Pirates
    23 kaleidosky- Toronto Blue Jays
    24 Crestonia Reactions - Kansas City Royals
    25 TeamDiscoveryChannel- San Diego Padres
    26 LonghornFanGuyF*ks!- Oakland A's
    27 Al'z Starz- Chicago White Sox
    28 Cody Jay's Team - Detroit Tigers
    29 Fade
    30 Kenny Powers Posse

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Oh wow... Rays or Marlins? Which Florida team do I go with? Such an important decision requires an in depth analysis. Should I take the diarrhea milkshake or the turd sundae? I will make the choice shortly once I compile my analytical report... emphasis on ANALytics.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Just get the SH** over with already!!!

[​IMG]

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Upon review, the Turd Sundae was much less stinky than the Diarrhea Milkshake, so I will go with the TB Rays.

That leaves the Miami Marlins for Flash, poor b*stard.

Results are entered. Feel free to add/drop as required, but only from your three chosen teams. You should all know the drill by now.

Remember, if a player gets traded mid-season, you are not obligated to drop or trade that player away. However, IF you do drop him, you forever relinquish all rights and can no longer pick him up. At that point, ownership transfers to the owner of his new team.

MAKE SURE TO CLICK AHEAD TO THE FIRST MATCH OF THE SEASON AND SET YOUR LINEUPS!!!!

Do it now!

Good luck everyone!!

kaleidosky likes this.
  8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I was accurate in my post-draft championship pick last year... I'll do it again. This time going with ME!

Good luck guys. If I lose, I hope it's to Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, and LMJ all winning 20 games each

Houstunna likes this.
  9. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

IDK. I'm feeling pretty good about my team. Dodgers at 7?

10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Dang it, I was hoping to get kaleidosky's endorsement.

I'm calling 2nd place for me again, you suckers are going down.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Somehow every season I set my lineup through the app and it doesn't save.

Oh well, easy win for somebody.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Dbacks at Ocho!!!

[​IMG]

13. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Lol hey, injuries KILLED me.

14. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I won't get a ton of views on this, but I'd love to get some feedback on this potential dynasty league blockbuster:

I trade:
    Eloy Jimenez
    Victor Robles
    Brendan Rodgers
    Brian Anderson

for

Mike Trout
    Blake Treinen

There is a salary cap, and we use prior year's salary to determine the cap hit. So although Trout is the baddest man on the planet, he will cost me $33.25M for the next several years. That means I'd have to trade Clayton Kershaw, essentially swapping out $30M contracts (and I'd have to make other cap--driven trades in the offseason). The salary cap aspect also raises the value of stud prospects quite a bit. If Eloy continues to be a beast, having him hit 30-40 HRs at the MLB level, while only having a $600K cap hit, has immense value. So Eloy, Robles, and Brendan Rodgers, could all be really, really valuable players, as early as next year, making damn near minimum for the next 5 years.

My team won it all last year, and am in contention again this year. If I do this trade, my MLB roster would be:

C Willson Contreras ($554,500)
    C Robinson Chirinos ($1,950,000)
    1B Paul Goldschmidt ($8,750,000)
    2B Daniel Murphy ($12,000,000)
    3B Justin Turner ($12,000,000)
    SS Carlos Correa ($535,000)
    CI Kris Bryant ($1,050,000)
    MI Ozzie Albies ($535,000)
    LF Andrew Benintendi ($549,000)
    CF A.J. Pollock ($6,750,000)
    RF Nelson Cruz ($14,000,000)
    OF Kyle Schwarber ($565,000)
    Util Mike Trout ($19,250,000)

SP Clayton Kershaw ($33,000,000)
    SP Max Scherzer ($15,000,000)
    SP Chris Sale ($12,000,000)
    SP Noah Syndergaard ($605,000)
    SP Lance McCullers ($548,000)
    RP Aroldis Chapman ($15,000,000)
    RP Blake Treinen ($563,700)
    RP Brad Hand ($1,375,000)
    RP Fernando Rodney ($2,750,000)
    RP Dellin Betances ($3,000,000)
    RP Yoshihisa Hirano ($3,000,000)
    P Chris Archer ($4,750,000)

Farm System:
    Forrest Whitley
    Francisco Mejia
    Alex Kirilloff
    and then a big drop off for my last 9 spots, losing a lot of talent and depth in order to obtain Trout

I think that deal makes a really good team even better. Sure it would suck to lose those 3 top 10 prospects, but adding the baddest man on the planet, regardless if he's expensive, is still too good of an opportunity to pass up, in my opinion. What do y'all think?

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

What kinda monkey are you playing against!?!?!

Regardless, if I were you I'd make the trade. I hate to say it but due to injury Kershaw looks like a rapidly declining pitcher. Yes that is a steep price to pay (prospect wise) but when, as you put it, you are getting the "baddest man on the planet" you're going to have to pay for what you get.

Also, what kind of draft or FA wire format do you use for prospects. Your squad looks pretty loaded and somehow you still have a good amount of top 10-20 farm system prospects. At least from what I see it looks as though you can rebuild your system within a draft or two.

Nippystix likes this.
  16. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thanks man, I've gotten pretty lucky. Most of this is all luck, regardless of how much credit we try to give ourselves, haha. I traded Starlin Castro when he was still pretty good for Correa and Kung Fu Panda (when he was still pretty good, he incidentally helped me win it all that year, ha!), I traded my 3rd and 5th overall minor league picks for the 1st overall in the year when Kris Bryant was draft-eligible, as I have always been high on him, and that worked out pretty well too.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the deal, with a slightly revised version (I am quite bullish on Kirilloff, and didn't want to trade all 3 of my stud OF prospects in one deal), so we took out Kirilloff and Treinen from the deal. I think he preferred that anyway, as he traded Treinen separately for a nice package, which I feel was better value than just Kirilloff. So the deal ended up:

Eloy
    Robles
    Brendan Rodgers

for

Trout and cap space

The rest of the league was pretty bitter, I felt like Cartman drinking all those tears. That alone made the deal worth it, haha!

It's funny how you call out Kershaw, I actually tend to agree with you. I might have another blockbuster deal lined up that might end the league:

Kershaw
    Albies
    Whitley
    Francisco Mejia

for

Jose Ramirez
    James Paxton

I am trying to extract a little more value from the deal, but even though I am sending over a lot, I think I still pull the trigger on the deal above. Ramirez, since he is signed to a very team-friendly deal, could be the most valuable player with the way our league is set up. Probably isn't even close. And I value a $5M Paxton just about equal to, or even more than a $33M Kershaw. I hate to lose Albies and Whitley, but my team would be talented, young, and cost-efficient for the next 2-3 years. At that point, who cares that I have emptied out my farm system?

RedNation and FLASH21 like this.
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The only thing that would derail you would be major injuries to your top 5 impact players. And that's in terms of losing them for an entire season not a 10-60 day DL trip. The odds of that happening are pretty slim, especially with the amount of durable players on your squad.

IMO, you are in win now mode and have been for the past 2-3 seasons (from the sound of it). I would continue to ride the train. Plus, the guys you are acquiring are far from your typical all in type players that are in their mid-30s and losing an edge. Therefore, reloading your farm can wait the next couple seasons that it may take. By that time you should have those OF positions ready to be supplanted to replace an older guy like Cruz.

Ramirez and Paxton are well worth the coup IMO.

Also, how does your waiver wire and claims system work? Can you find potential temporary replacements due to injuries or a bad season from one of your best performers (ala Justin Turner this season)?

18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Waiver wire and claims system is pretty standard, I think. Claims only comes into play for dropped players. For example, Lou Trivino (some RP for the A's) was dropped last week, and I tried to put in a waiver claim for him, but was beat out by a crappier team.

Free agent adds, if they are available, are all free to be picked up, as long as you can afford the salary of course. The problem is, with a deep league of 14 teams, you might not have a ton of quality to choose from. While Correa has been out, I have picked up Kike Hernandez, who actually hasn't been bad, but obviously there is a talent gap for most players that are available. For Turner, and even Kris Bryant, I have been able to use rookie Brian Anderson, who I drafted with my last pick of the minor league draft last year. He's exceeded expectations, I've been lucky there. Not sure if I answered your questions, but I do appreciate your feedback.

And I agree with your injury concerns. Specifically with my rotation, if I can pull off this trade, I will have 3 pretty dependable SP's in Scherzer, Archer (solid not great), and Sale (who ironically is on the DL at the moment, but doesn't sound serious), but then I would have 3 guys with pretty extensive injury concerns with Lance, Thor, and Paxton. Quite risky, but I figure the depth of my rotation will help absorb any injuries that will be sure to pop up.

19. LonghornFan

Well that was an easy season. Started out 1-4 and only lost 1 game the rest of the season. Having Verlander, Cole, Morton and the surprise A's helped. Good luck whoever plays in the first round. 16-5 is gonna take a week of rest before my next kill shot. This is mine.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not impressed.

You had the 1st overall pick and 6th overall in the 3rd round.

I had the 8th and 13th overall pick then the 30th in the 3rd round. I'm surprised my team even made the playoffs, considering.