1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragon Ball (Super)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OTMax, Feb 12, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Any big Dragon Ball fans on here? What is your opinion about the whole anime? DB, DBZ, DBGT and now Super?

I am a fan, but wouldn't call myself a big one. DB is pretty much the only anime I have watched aside from some movies here and there. Speaking of which, the DBZ movies in particular are just awful writing, except the Broly movie with the concept of a Saiyan who cannot be controlled. Did not watch the early movies with Bardock as I only got into DBZ. DB was before my time and GT always seemed out of line with DB & DBZ, probably because it didn't involve the original creator. I do love the SS4 transformation with the tail, since they are monkeys so would makes sense the ultimate state is one. Anyway, only after hearing so much about the game DB FighterZ I decided to give Super a try.

I have to say, while I thought the two latest movies were horrible (Resurrection F and Battle of Gods) the Super
    Saiyan God transformation was one of the few bright spots. The Blue hair just looks cool and just different from the regular screaming hair growth minute long transformations. Unfortunately the execution is nothing special as often with DB. No particularly new special moves, abilities or other qualities you would associate with a God. Even in DB they usually have something special. I did like how Goku could not defeat someone for once, but the saga and movie with Beerus just did not deliver at all.

Bringing back Frieza for the latest saga of the series is kind of cool as you don't know where his allegiance lies and he's the ultimate deceptive character. However, I did not care much for his golden transformation and the whole resurrection sage. Super kind of ***** on the whole Frieza saga of DBZ, which still remains one of the best. The Future Trunks saga is finally a dark one and easily the best out of all of them for me. The mystery of Goku Black combined with Zamasu as an evil apprentice God of creation was very well thought out and executed.

I really love this new Ultra Instinct form and it seems to be one that really makes a difference. Hopefully it will continue to develop and maybe be the key to unleashing an ultimate fighting form, maybe even borrowing from the SS4 look and give them a more fierce look as they are meant to be warriors with tail and all. Since Goku is always in control it could just unleash a darker / evil / true Saiyan warrior form with Vegeta and not necessarily be similar like when both turn Super Saiyan Gods..

The battle between all the universes is so-and-so for me. I absolutely hate some characters, especially Jiren. Easily the most horrible looking big bad type character, compared to the likes of Frieza, Cell, Buu and Zamasu. I like the funny ultimate Gods who are like babies being entertained by fights and death. I also like there's finally female Super Saiyans who make for interesting battles and also some more focus on the smaller characters who are part of the core DB story: Tien, Krillin, Master Roshi even. While DB Super is nearing it's end for this year and probably the end of this universe battle, which hopefully has some twist at least and not just Goku beating Jiren, there will be more in 2019.

I do wonder, what is next? They already invented the idea of several universes. I don't think bringing back evil Buu or Cell makes sense. Dabura I've always liked and how maybe he could be the ruler of Hell and turn all the dead into demons - or absorb their energy and become a transformed devil (since he looks like the classic devil depiction) and become the ultimate evil on Earth after they're the only universe left. With all the inconsistency story wise they could easily make him bad again since he was last in heaven in DBZ and turned good. I think they have the best opportunity to make a bold move or at least a surprising one with the wish(es) the winner of the Battle gets. Maybe they could finally bring back Planet Namek and give Piccolo and his people more prominence, a character and 'race' that never got its due in my opinion.

The inconsistency overall is what is one of my main problems with Dragon Ball. They spend dozens of episodes in mainly DBZ about different transformations and forms of mainly Saiyans, only for Super to create a new one with a horrible name while making the former states seem meaningless. Everyone is turning into a Super Saiyan, even ascended forms, just like that. Then there's Shenron who's afraid of Beerus and the collection of Dragon Balls is now easier than ever. Would also be nice if something happens to King Yemma if the dead actually stay in Other World, creating more suspense.

If there's one thing that's consistent though, it's of course that Goku is the hero. This is something that just irks me. The Vegeta chasing Goku schtick is getting old and they had several opportunities to give him his due, but didn't. I think if they keep sticking to Goku as the hero and just an energy ball finishing off the big bads, then it will always be for me a series with more potential. I also fancy the dark side more, how Namek and Earth were destructed in the Frieza and Future Trunks saga. The 1st Broly movie also had this dark tone.

Of course, Dragon Ball will always have that funny side with crazy characters and one of my favorite characters is actually fat Buu, but it would be nice if the overall tone would be a bit more darker. Vegeta being angry and not being friends with Goku, Beerus actually unleashing his power and not just have a lot of power but just worried about food all the time etc. Overall I also feel characters are becoming way too similar, most characters have similar head shapes, alien like forms and those typically shaped ears that stick out a little bit. It's time to take some risks with the characters looks and powers.

Maybe the new movie that will focus on the Saiyans will finally be one worth watching and tie everything together. Maybe dive into some mysteries, like that of Broly or another legend that they find out and re-writes our whole idea of the Saiyan race and Planet Vegeta. Vegeta having a twin? Bardock not Goku's father? Planet Vegeta revived? Broly story re-invented and re-written to make him finally canon and appear in DB Super and the manga? So much potential there to bring the race and its planet back to the series.

So what's your take, mainly on DB Super in comparison to the past and what you think is next for DB?

LCAhmed likes this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I personally love super. I have been watching every week in Japanese with subtitle.

The series is coming to an end in March tho. But I guess that gives me the opportunity to go back and rewatch in English since English dubbed edition is about a year behind.

The whole anime series, is of particular joy to me. Dragon ball, dragon ball z (especially so), dragon ball super and even tho it isn’t canon and receives a lot of hate I still enjoyed Dragon ball gt.

It’s always been my favorite anime, and while sure it’s always the same that goku ultimately beats the foe it’s always been fantastic too me.

The animation is still amazing

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

They should have straight up let Vegeta be the one to take out Jiren.

They royally screwed up the ending this year in my opinion.

They are retreading old story lines...unless they let Jiren smash Goku in the end and Freiza cheap shots Jiren to win the TOP

4. BigMaloe

Also, more to the point of super compared to the rest of the franchise I really like it.

The multiverse, added layers of gods and angels, and this tournament of power opened up a vast world of possibilities and new characters.

Resurrection of Frieza was meh overall, but I think golden Frieza was a very nicely done transformation.

The future trunks saga and Goku Black was a great storyline. Was a much darker type plot and story that you refer to.

Tournament of power, is the standard martial arts tournament we have been watching since dragon ball. But still, all the characters and multiverses really opens up the directions dragon ball can got, if akira chooses to continue.

As for the Saiyan movie they are pausing for, I haven’t seen or read any rumors yet, but I think it may be universe 6 and possibly a vegeta arc to become king of saiyans like he promised cabba.

5. 713

713 Member

I asked about Super in the anime thread. Everyone told me to stopped watching because it was not good. I kept watching but stopped a little after because of all the filter episodes.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Krillen will kill every character and end the series... I'm pretty sure.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Luckily the series won’t end. In 2019 it will continue, they are simply waiting for the dubbed version to catch up and from next year will run English and Japanese together!

Yung-T, faraza84 and BigMaloe like this.
  8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Good points. I definitely like the possibilities the gods and multiverse has opened, but a little disappointed they didn’t take advantage of it enough. There will be only be one universe after this saga it seems.

After only exploring it for about 50-60 episodes and most of it in a single tournament, that doesn’t really look like something they’ll explore or come back to in the future. I get the choice though.

The movie will at least reveal the origin of the Saiyans. Has been confirmed by Toei animation.

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I hate it.

Super has been a show of missed opportunities, no character development and a wall of fights with no substance. There hasn't been a single arc that I have enjoyed.

Full disclosure: I haven't watched since ultra instincts Goku fight against the merged female sayians. I'm pretty sure they are still just fighting. more fights and powerups.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Not a single one? Come on now. Zamasu and Goku Black in the Future Trunks saga was pretty good development.

How do people like Jiren? I think it’s really stupid a generic buffed alien looking goon is the most powerful character ever in the series aside from Beerus and his master maybe.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I really tried to think of an arc that I enjoyed and I couldn't. The Zamasu Arc was ridiculously convoluted and essentially amounted to nothing at all. All that work and fighting and explanation and Trunks' whole universe was still destroyed!

I hate Jiren AND Hit. They are overpowered characters for the sake of being a guy for Goku to fight. They have no backstory no reason for being, they just are. That's lame.

Now think of all the villains up to this point: Tien, Piccilo, Radditz, Nappa, Vegeta, Frieza, Buu, Cell, Ginyu Force, etc. You can probably recall their purpose for doing what they were doing. WHY they were doing what they were doing. thier character arc.

Now think about Dragonball Super.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Totally agree about Hit and Jiren, just no backstory at all. Toppo as well, what a joke. Fat guy with moustache.

But same with Beerus, came out of nowhere. Just was a God of destruction present all this time yet we’re supposed to believe he just slept.

Zamasu at least had a fascinating back story, no matter how convoluted.

To me it’s either ‘hit’: Ultra Instinct and SS God Goku, Vegeta who has SS God ascended it seems, Zamasu, Goku Black, fused Zamasu, Kale rage version and Kefla.

Or ‘miss’ with Beerus, Toppo, Hit, Jiren, Frieza gold, that SS boy Vegeta trained, Frieza from the other universe, the high speed rat, the fused Universe 3 robot etc.

#12 OTMax, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

original post is longer than an episode of DBZ

mrm32 and DreamShook like this.
  14. BigMaloe

They just explained jirens backstory and his quest for strength.

They explained zamasu and blacks backstory.

They explained hits backstory.

Sounds like your hating something to hate it. It’s all fine and dandy. Everyone has their own likes dislikes and opinions but that seems a bit off.

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hit is an assassin, but you have to agree it’s not like previous powerful characters. They were linked to other characters, the planet and got a lot more backstory time.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not hating just to hate. There are legitimate reasons to hate Super. I'm just giving my opinions. Not knocking you for liking it I know how passionate Super fans are.

Like I said, I haven't watched since Ultra Instincts Kaulifla fight.

Every villain in Z had a backstory that wasn't very generic and can't be summed up in one sentence.

Hit is a 1000 yr old assassin; is strong.
    Jiren's Family was killed; is now very strong.

These are the 2 strongest characters in Dragon Ball and that's all they get.

Zamasu can't be summed up in a sentence, but I have no Idea what this guy was about or why he did the things he did. The studio had to release an official timeline to explain what was going on because it made no sense.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

they keep snubbing my boy Vegeta. Hard work and dedication gets overlooked and given to somebody like Goku.

Where do you watch Dragonball Super at?

18. tmacfor35

To be fair, Super has royally jacked up this WHOLE story line thus far.

They can still rescue it in the final episodes, but UNI 6 has been the biggest asspull in DB history.

19. tmacfor35

Youtube..

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I like(d) the mystery surrounding Beerus and the angels. I like that there are beings out there Goku and Vegeta just can't beat. I also think it is funny that Beerus doesn't really care what is going on in the lives of the mortals; he is just there for the snacks.

Also, because Beerus is a God, him just existing and always being there is a lot easier to swallow. However, now that Toppo and Jiren were picked to be God's of destruction, Beerus just always being there goes out the window. How was Beerus picked? who was he before?

If there was no candidacy for the God of destruction job, Beerus just existing would have been fine.

OTMax likes this.