1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Buck Turgidson

It seems pretty inevitable, right? He'll be an offensive position coach and recruiter? Or am I being overly exuberant?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nice gig for Helfrich. Good young QB and RB to work with.

4. gucci888

Stanford grad transfer OL Casey Tucker is visiting this weekend as well. Getting either would be big, getting both would completely change the outlook of the entire OL IMO.

Both could come in and start immediately.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The 6’5, 300-pounder started 36 consecutive games for Rice and received honorable mention all-conference recognition over the last two season. In 2017, Anderson arguably deserved greater recognition after he finished in the top 20 nationally in pass blocking efficiency, according to PFF. On the season, he allowed only one sack and nine quarterback hits.

Anderson’s season highlights are available here.

In 2016, Anderson graded out at over 90 percent in each game and recorded 26 knockdowns and five pancake blocks.”

6. gucci888

7. Brando2101

Early Enrollees are moving in this weekend. I don't remember the last time Texas had 8 early enrollees. 3 of them are DBs, 2 QBs, 1 WR, 1LB and the punter. There is also a grad transfer OL (Gandy) enrolling with them.

Anderson seems legit. What do you know about the kid @bigtexxx ? Tucker seems to be ok but the depth can't hurt. It could make an amazing difference along with the addition of Gandy and the natural development of the guys we had last year and maybe allow Angilau to redshirt. Herman has said his preference in general is to always redshirt linemen. Chip Brown thinks a redshirt freshman OL Samuel Cosmi we had will be starting. Not sure if the kid is legit talented or it's just Chip throwing something out there.

The only lineman from last year I feel is solid and has a spot is Kerstetter. I want to say the same about Shackelford since he is a 2 year starter but he graded pretty average last year and doesn't really wow you. On the other hand, you need experience and consistency at center and there really isn't anyone around who can compete for his job. There isn't anyone else I see as a starter going into spring.

Also, TWO scholarship freshmen quarterbacks. TWO nationally sought-after prospects. This is going to be the genesis of a mother of a QB controversy to rile up and divide the fans and they are already both on campus. I think at least 1 of them is going to play next year. Even if Shane stays he and Sam get hurt every other game.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Anderson started the last three years at Rice at LT. Probably instantly becomes the smartest guy on the team. Very good measurables. Height and arm length. He was above average but not a superstar, as evidenced by his honorable mention all C-USA. Rice has lousy coaching so he could benefit from better coaching. Has aspirations for the NFL.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Edit: Premature...

#10569 J.R., Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. Brando2101

That's interesting. "Quality Control" coaches are kind of loopholes in the assistant coach cap. You can throw a coach into a "staff" position. They just can't actively coach during games or practices, or recruit off campus. Saban brought in Steve Sarkisian as a quality control coach and eventually fired Saban and replaced him with Sarkisian.

Maybe Herman is hoping they can right the offense next year and the pressure will be off to hire an offensive coach with the 10th assistant spot. I'm sure they would rather hire a defensive coach to even out the staff.

11. gucci888

The Carrington move is pretty genius. Recruits have raved about him and this allows him to hit the road to close out NSD and maybe through Junior Days if needed. This also gives Herman some more time to think things through if he hasn't come to a decision yet. Otherwise, this could be an instance where the 10th assistant is wanting to stay at their current job through NSD.

Will admit that I laughed when Sumlin brought in "No Endzone Mazzone" but he ended up being better for them than I thought. Very solid for QC position if true.

12. Brando2101

Boyd to stay via 247:

13. Brando2101

-Mazzone is expected to follow Kevin Sumlin to Arizona and not join the UT coaching staff as a QC coach.
    -Rice Grad Transfer OT Calvin Anderson has until March to decide where he wants to transfer to. Along with Texas, Anderson is also expected to visit Auburn, Michigan, Pitt and TCU.

Via EJ

14. gucci888

Mazzone as a QC coach would've been a good hire IMO. One silver lining is that it might push Herman to go ahead and hire an OC (if that wasn't the plan already) now. Thought Herman could've given Beck another shot with his backup plan in place ala Saban/Sarkisian. With Mazzone out, Herman still has to fine help on offense.

15. Buck Turgidson

Who is available?

(I still love that every time I come into this thread, the ads on the bottom are for scotch tape)

16. gucci888

Brian Wright (Toledo) and Graham Harrell (North Texas) have both been mentioned and think they could be had at anytime moving forward. The OC at VaTech has also been brought up. But who really knows.

17. Brando2101

#10577 Brando2101, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  18. gucci888

Surprise hire but like it on paper. Have always been a fan of Malzhan's offense so if he can bring some of those concepts along with coaching up the OL, I'm in.

Also guessing this means Warehime is out. While he closed out the early signing period nicely, the OL play was just so bad this season. Sure there were some major injuries but almost every player seemed to have taken a step back. Guys leaving early (not for the draft) wasn't a great look either. Should be interesting to see how Herman officially reshuffles things.

19. Bob Barker 007

The Inside Texas take on hiring Herb Hand.

Turbo likes this.
  20. gucci888

Believe it was IT who reported that Herman called the last series in the bowl game. Interesting that it has now become "pretty much the whole game." Went back and watched some of the 1st quarter and it looks like Herman is holding a playsheet which I don't believe he had before the bowl game.