1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] My Next Guest Needs No Introduction ( with David Letterman)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jan 12, 2018.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

My Next Guest Needs No Introduction
    With David Letterman
    ON NETFLIX

I used to stay up late ONLY to watch David Letterman's Late Show on NBC, then when it moved to CBS. He was probably the only one whom I thought could bring witty and insightful interviews with folks, keeping it lighthearted and humorous, while at the same time moving fast and allowing for a lot more like short demos, small skits, interaction with his audience, and the usual outside-the-show (physically) shenanigans.

Fast forward to this year, and he has a show again, but this time in a one-on-one, Inside-The-Actors-Studio face-to-face question and answer format, unlike in his other show.

Anyone seen this new show? Looked for a thread, didn't find one.

I saw the first episode (there is only one). Here is my review and brief synopsis, based on my own point of views, opinions, etc. Please don't let my opinion influence your watching, if you plan on doing so or have. SPOILERED so you can leave it closed until you watch, if you want:
    I don't think his show will be getting more than three seasons. Had it been less about bashing and politician stuff... maybe. I guess I expected it to be almost like the old show but it's "meh" in the Netflixish style that appeals to the current viewership of Netflix of what I believe is millennials and just overall youngsters. Maybe he will appeal to a lot more folks than I think, but I am expecting most of his viewership to be from my generation.

I don't see it lasting. I'm glad to see his candid wit and his ability to get his guests to talk AGAIN, but it seems drawn out and boring to me.

:oops: 7/10 - same old Dave, funny and witty, but doesn't fit this format so well. I thought it would change from the Obama interview, but it didn't.

SwoLy's Rating System:
    :eek: Excellent
    :D Good
    :) Average
    :oops: Could be better
    :( Bad
    :mad: Extremely bad

#1 SwoLy-D, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    BamBam likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right... me too, a LONG LONG time ago. And when he stopped being particularly funny, also a LONG time ago, I moved on.

I'll watch pretty much anything on Netflix, lol. I pay for it, and no commercials. Why not?!?

This... meh, have absolutely no desire to see this

SwoLy-D likes this.
  3. SwoLy-D

Not sure if you noticed how I described what I remember from the show, but I never said he was funny. :cool: To me it wasn't about that at all, although most of the times, he was funny. I don't think he changed. Maybe with age, he couldn't do the same things he was doing before... but... I still liked it and watched it until the end.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

he changed as bit..

but its less about that then times changing in comedy. i mean go back and listen to comedy from the 60's. you're generally not going to find it incredibly humorous. Doesn't mean it wasn't funny. just isn't anymore. these guys have to change to keep up with the times.

i'm not sure any of them do it all that great... which is why you see those positions change these days. I moved on from Letterman to Conan than liked Kimmel for a while then I really dug Ferguson and now think Fallon is the best of that group... but i don't really watch much of any of them

5. SwoLy-D

I find some comedians from different eras funnier than others. It's not as simple as "comedy has changed" to me. I mean, I like Louis CK right now, and I liked

Again, I didn't watch Letterman for the comedy but he was funny. To me it was the way he was very knowledgeable, had seen and read about a lot before he interviewed someone, and he wasn't confused when his guests talked about some remote thing that nowadays confuse other talk show hosts.

Fallon is too much of a kid laughing along with the guests like if they were at a bar or a pizza parlor. He has too many skits and silliness and twitter and instagram this, and not a lot of insightful and smart interview at all.

Letterman was there for more than thirty years for a reason. :cool:

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Letterman hasn't been funny since the 90's, and he became completely unwatchable about 10 years ago.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I saw it, enjoyed it. It's not a comedy show, it reminded more of something like Tom Snyder who had a great show back in the day.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Swoly is back!!!

SwoLy-D likes this.
  9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Only SwoLy can find a way to use these many smiley's in a post. Kudos!! Stay thirtsy my friend...;)

(P.S.) TL/DNR...:cool:

10. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I miss Obama :(

GRENDEL likes this.
  11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Liked the interview will be looking forward to more.