1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There ya go all the recruits belong to UT now haha

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In the last 7 years Alabama has been ranked #1 in recruiting six times, and #2 one time.

They have done decent in that time span on the field. Just sayin'

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

pass

Here are some small recruiting updates from EJ Holland:
    I read an interview with OL Junior Angilau and he said basically his parents are letting him decide if he wants to do his mormon mission. It sounded like he was saying there isn't any pressure on him to do it and he has the support of his family if he doesn't. I think there was some stuff in there about other things he can do while in Austin. Basically, it sounded like he was leaning toward playing next year and not going on his 2 year mormon mission. I don't remember where I read that though.

BTW, the kid has the coolest photoshop of any UT commit I've ever seen. Props to the UT Graphics Dude:

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

With regards to DaShaun White, looks like it'll come down to who Fisher hires at DC. If it's Aranda, that's a big hire for A&M even with the ridiculous rumored contract.

Edit: Looks like Aranda staying with LSU.

#10545 gucci888, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. Brando2101

Via EJ:

TLDR:
    -No movement on random rumor about talented DE committing to UT after being favorited for A&M
    -Current Texas A&M ILB commit waiting to see who A&M hires as DC before reaffirming his commitment
    -Likelihood of big talented OL Junior Angilau playing this year is improving #MormonStuff

#10546 Brando2101, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  7. Brando2101

NFL Draft Rumors from Taylor Estes at 247. Both Boyd and Omenihu received Return to School grades from the NFL.
    It makes you feel better about keeping Coburn too but we'll see what the aggies come up with. It'd be great if DE Ossai loses interest there and commits to UT along with White.

#10547 Brando2101, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. gucci888

Looks like Mike Elko (current Notre Dame DC) is heading over which is probably a win for A&M with regards to Ossai. Notre Dame was one his finalists.

9. Brando2101

UT Defensive Cordinator Todd Orlando is getting a raise and contract extension. He just finished the first year of a three-year contract that pays him $1.09 million annually. According to reports, LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda just agreed to a four-year, $10 million contract after receiving interest from Texas A&M. The next highest-paid defensive coordinators in 2017, according to USA Today, are: Clemson's Brent Venables ($1.7 million), Texas A&M's John Chavis ($1.6 million), Michigan's Don Brown ($1.3 million) and Alabama's Jeremy Pruitt ($1.3 million).

also,

Apparently there isn't a stay in school NFL grade. You either get potential first round, potential second round, or neither, which is effectively a recommendation to stay in school and what the kid received.

#7 WR in Country and key Slot WR Target to make unofficial visit.
    EJ's takeaways from watching UT recruits at the Army game:
    -It's strange that one of our top safety recruits didn't play the position in his senior year. Hopefully the experience at RB will help him return kicks or punts.

-Coburn is a beast and an absolute must keep if we want to keep running so many nickel and dime packages. He has four official visits remaining and none of them can be back to UT. He can take an unofficial to Austin if he wants.

#10549 Brando2101, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. gucci888

12. Brando2101

13. Brando2101

-White moved his commit from A&M to OU over the weekend. Too bad. It would have been nice to get another ILB.

-The current recruiting class worked pretty hard this last week at the Army Bowl practices/game to get slot receiver Laylen Waddle to consider Texas. Hopefully they can get the kid on campus.

-A Top WR in the state (Josh Moore) will be visiting Austin this weekend. He just decommitted from Nebraska and is expected to have a lot of interest in joining his twin brother at A&M.

14. Bob Barker 007

10th ASSISTANT

Finally we have a little bit of clarity on what's going on. Between what Justin's heard and what I’ve heard, especially this weekend, I have a good idea of Herman's intentions.

I can almost guarantee we'll see an offensive minded coach join the staff. It will almost certainly be someone who will be the play-caller but who might have a 'co-OC' title. Don't fret over the 'co', it's irrelevant.

I have to put in a couple qualifiers because Herman has changed his mind somewhat recently over his intentions but this is where it currently stands.

So, how does this square with wanting someone who is an ace recruiter?

This will free up Tim Beck to hit the road hard. Beck has a good reputation in this regard. As I stated when he was hired, he's more of the point man on recruits than the closer. He isn't the reason Ohio State landed Baron Browning and Jeffrey Okudah, but he served as a great introduction to Ohio State. He's already done the same at Texas with Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson. He was the set-up man for Urban Meyer and I believe will look to serve the same role for Herman.

Having coached high school in Dallas he knows the area well. With the in-state talent balance between Houston and Dallas leveling off in 2019 after H-Town dominance, this move makes sense.

As for a timeline and names: Tom Herman is not in a hurry. This will be a robust search which is a tell on what I've been hinting at; there's a good chance he strays from his network of coaches. In other words, it will be hard for his detractors to call it a comfort hire. Some will lament the 10th assistant needs to be in place by the end of the dead period this Friday. I don't agree with that and the reasons will play out.

Regarding a name, it could be anybody at this point. The one target I know was on the list wasn't a big name, but he came from an interesting coaching tree.

Whether or not some agree with it, it appears Herman has a solid plan in place and is more concerned at the moment with finishing out the roster with recruits than coaches.

GRAD TRANSFER OFFENSIVE LINEMAN

I'm expecting a grad transfer lineman not named Calvin Anderson (former Rice lineman) to visit soon. If Texas can secure him, he'll likely start. It would be a good get and last season’s greatest weakness would certainly be on the road to repair.

Who is it? Former composite high 4-star Casey Tucker from Stanford. Tucker was a starter on the sensational 2015 Cardinal line. In 2016 he battled injuries. With Stanford loaded at tackle he is set to move on.

MORE ON MCKEE

Neither of Texas’ 2018 quarterback signees in Cameron Rising or Casey Thompson were invited to the two main high school All-American games. Despite having two in the fold, Texas still is after another elite quarterback.

2018 Corona (CA) Centennial QB Tanner McKee has the Longhorns high on his list. The 6-foot-6, 220 pound quarterback passed for 2,147 yards with a 63% completion percentage, adding 23 touchdowns and just two interceptions. On the ground, McKee had 59 rushes for 675 yards and 11 scores.

McKee visited Texas on October 7th for the Longhorns’ overtime victory over Kansas State. Even though Texas has two quarterbacks signed, McKee stays in contact with the Longhorns often.

“I talk to Texas really frequently,” McKee said. “I talk to coach (Tim) Beck mostly. He’s been down on a home visit, and we really keep in contact.”

Texas head coach Tom Herman has yet to use his in-home visit with McKee and hasn’t scheduled it yet. In addition to Texas, McKee said he took official visits to Texas A&M, Washington, Alabama, and Stanford. He also took unofficial visits to UCLA and USC.

Even with two quarterbacks in the class, McKee does not mind the competition.

“You’re going to have to compete wherever you go, especially at a top program like Texas,” McKee said. “I feel like there’s going to be tons of guys they have to compete with so that’s just part of the deal.”

The So-Cal quarterback’s film shows a good handle on downfield passing, and the ability to grab big chunks of yardage given to him on the ground.

The similar aspects of Texas’ offense to Centennial’s stands out to McKee.

“I feel like we run really similar offenses,” McKee said. “So I feel like I can jump in and be really effective. Texas has some great athletes. Coach Herman is a great coach. He’s really going to make the program very successful.”

Texas is still recruiting McKee despite signing two quarterbacks because he plans to go on a Mormon mission following graduation. McKee would not enroll until 2020.

Turbo likes this.
  15. Bob Barker 007

Texas football is in search for its 10th assistant coach. The Longhorns have posted a job for the new coaching position, which NCAA approved to go into effect January 9, 2018.

Tom Herman said initially he'd like to hire a 10th assistant coach (permissible beginning Jan. 9) who could help the defensive staff as well as special teams. Then, prior to UT's Texas Bowl victory over Missouri, Herman said he might just go with the best available assistant coach because there were so many capable candidates.

If Herman decides he wants to bring in a new QB coach or even a new play caller on offense (and possibly move Tim Beck to QB coach), here are some names to keep an eye on:

Todd Dodge, Austin Westlake head coach

Dodge, a former Longhorns' quarterback (1982-85), is a future Texas high school coaching hall of famer after winning four state championships at Southlake Carroll. A former college head coach at North Texas and a former QB coach at Pitt, Dodge coached current UT quarterback Sam Ehlinger at Austin Westlake, where they reached the 6A Division II state championship game in 2015.

Mark Helfrich, former Oregon head coach/offensive coordinator

As QB coach/offensive coordinator for Oregon's prolific power spread under Chip Kelly and then as head coach of the Ducks, Helfrich helped develop Jeremiah Masoli and Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota. In 2013, Helfrich's Ducks reached the first College Football Playoff national championship game.

Brad Cornelsen, Virginia Tech offensive coordinator

Virginia Tech's power spread offense averaged 28.2 points per game (69th in FBS) in 2017 with redshirt freshman QB Josh Jackson after a record-setting season in 2016 with QB Tyrod Evans in which the Hokies averaged 35 points per game. Before that, Cornelsen oversaw the offense at Memphis under Justin Fuente, including the development of 2-star QB Paxton Lynch into a first-round NFL draft pick.

Brian Wright, Toledo offensive coordinator

Wright oversaw a power spread offense that averaged 36.4 points per game (No. 16 in FBS) and piled up 483.9 yards per game (No. 14 in FBS), including 204 yards per game on the ground (No. 29 in FBS). In 2016, Wright's offense averaged 291.9 yards through the air - best in the MAC - and 218.0 yards rushing per game. UT’s 39.2 points per game in 2016 was tops in the MAC and 11th in the country.

Graham Harrell, North Texas offensive coordinator

Before hiring Tim Beck, Tom Herman attempted to hire OU's Lincoln Riley, a descendant of Mike Leach's Air Raid. Harrell, another Air Raid descendant, oversaw a UNT offense in 2017 that averaged 35.5 points per game in 2017 (No. 20 in FBS) with 291.9 yards passing (No. 21 in FBS) and 162.9 yards rushing (No. 67). The former Texas Tech quarterback joined Seth Littrell's staff at UNT before the 2016 season, and his offense saw the 11th-best turnaround in the nation, scoring 9.6 points per game more than it did in 2015.

Turbo likes this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We need to get Beck out of there. He's horrible.

tinman likes this.
  17. Brando2101

EJ’s recruiting notes on DL-men. Nothing earth shattering.

18. gucci888

IT shot down Helfrich and Dodge this morning. But they also said yesterday they have no clue as far as names so who really knows.

I'd really take any of those guys over Beck but still holding out for Helfrich. Interesting that Kelly offered him the OC position last week but he has yet to accept or decline it. If he's waiting for a HC gig this year, Arizona has the only opening and don't believe I've heard his named mentioned at all for that. If he wasn't wanting a coordinator position, guessing he would've turned it down already as well. Of course could all be negotiating tactics as well.

19. gucci888

Charles Omenihu to return for his senior season. Let's hope Boyd comes to the same decision.

20. Brando2101

That’s a relief.

EJ Holland did a huge roundup of all the known UT targets. It’s worth a read: