1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ignoring midrange will kill us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Oct 11, 2017.

1. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Yep, and this is the difference. They will take the mid range, but we pass up a wide open one and pass it back out to the three point line for a contested shot. We can get away with this in the regular season, but it's gonna doom us in the playoffs. And you can't play one way all year, and then adjust and play different in the playoffs. Mid range has to be incorporated now.

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If Curry took 300 more 3 point shots and 300 less 2 point shots, would he score more or less often?

Extremely simple, and obvious.

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Because Morey never played basketball during gym. He just set with the broads on the bleachers and watched the guys run up and down the court.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ignoring OTmax will redeem us

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

we'll have to see if CP3 will start taking more midrange shots once the actual season starts and he becomes more comfortable playing in this offense and playing next to Harden...CP3 has never played in an offense like this one

as for Harden, he really needs to diversify his offensive game...he takes way too many threes for a scorer of his caliber, he's just settling now...his shot selection continues to get worse IMO...he takes so many threes like he's Curry, but the majority of his attempts aren't even good looks

everyone else on the roster can be solely layups and threes, but Harden and CP3 need to be more than that

Harden rarely looks to take a midrange shot anymore, and I have my doubts that that will change all of the sudden

I wish his shot distribution was something like this on average: 7-8 shots at the rim, 6-7 shots from 3, and 3-4 shots from midrange...

you're best perimeter scorer can't have an entire area of the floor where he refuses to take shots...14-15 Harden should be the blueprint

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not liking what I'm seeing so far in the preseason with respect to the midrange. Harden is a very capable midrange shooter and CP3 is the best in the freaking league. CP3's best offensive asset has been totally neutered by us. It was frustrating watching him chuck 3 after 3 last night. Dude shoots freaking 50% from midrange. I guarantee his 3PT% will drop down to the mid-low 30s this season as a result of purely jacking 3s now.

It's incredibly stupid to completely ignore midrange. Sure, you'll do fine during the season, but in the playoffs you need to be a threat to score from anywhere on the floor. As good as our offense was last year, it did not translate during the playoffs against both OKC and SA. SA straight up shut us down offensively towards the end of the series. I can't believe the FO/Coaching staff didn't recognize this.

I'm not saying to shoot a ton of them a game, but you gotta take what the defense gives you. If you don't mix it in every now and then during the season, how can you expect to be a versatile offense in the playoffs? Ah well, I can already see us losing the 2nd round because we refuse to take wide open mid range shots smh.

OTMax likes this.
  7. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

In my opinion, the threat of the mid range 2 point shot forces the defense to react to it and respect it. I fully understand the analytics that suggest it's not the best shot but you still need an offense that is capable of forcing the defense to at least respect it because it opens up other scoring opportunities.

Even in the ultimate era of analytics, I don't think we will ever see a team win the NBA championship that doesn't have at least one or two guys who can reliably make a midrange shot and keep the defense guessing.

OTMax likes this.
  8. SamFisher

We need MOAR pages of people telling us that a made 2 > a missed 3

Great great stuff.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. You need to use your best players to their strengths. KD still shoots plenty of midrange shots in GS.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This thread will last the whole year as fans tell the HOF PG Chris Paul to shoot more midrange instead of making other plays.

And just like they blame ESPN for handling Paul with kid gloves as a Clipper, they will say this isnt' Paul's fault for not making what they consider to be a better play. It is all Morey's fault for forcing a HOF pure PG to make the worse plays, instead of shooting the midrange...just to carry on an Internet narrative.

Hey @J.R. thx for the Lowe quotes. I want him to take midrange shots too. But if he doesn't, no way in hell I'm going to be questioning Chris Paul about making the right play....and I'm not going to use some bs argument that Morey brainwashed him into making the wrong play.

Have an open mind. Let go of last year's argument for a moment. We've never seen Paul in a system with this much space. He is exploring it. Let's see what he does.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. SamFisher

I can't wait till Pat Fertitta starts forwarding this thread to Mike and Daryl.

heypartner likes this.
  13. Tha_Dude

KD, Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Livingston are all capable of hitting the midrange shot. You have to respect it or else you get burned.

mfastx likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Chris Paul who is known as an elite mid range shooter has shot .504% from 2 at 10.7 attempts per game for his career and .370% from 3 at 3.2 attempts per game for his career.

2 x .504 x 10.7 = 10.7865 pts per game
    3 x .370 x 3.2 = 3.552 pts per game.
    14.3385 pts per game combined

Now let's just say for shiits and giggles he decided to shoot the same amount of 2s and same amount of 3s per game.

2 x .504 x 7 = 7.056 pts per game
    3 x .370 x 7 = 7.77 pts per game
    14.826 pts per game combined

Now let's go extreme like the rockets and completely switch the amount of 3s with 2s and vice versa.

2 x .504 x 3.2 = 3.2256 pts per game
    3 x .370 x 10.7 = 11.87 pts per game
    15.1026 pts per game combined

Anyone see a pattern? It's quite simple. And tbh, I'd be afraid of the results if I did the same for players like steph and klay.

The only time a mid range is advantageous is in the waning seconds of a very close game and you need the higher percentage of likelihood rather the the higher percentage of return per shot.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  15. hakeemthagreat

I think CP3 passing up midrange shots will hurt us. Nobody should be taking them but CP3. I hope he hasn't been told to not take them because I think his midrange game will keep the other teams off balance when defending us. He can literally get a open midrange shot ANY time he wants in the MDA offense. Remember Steve Nash?

Tha_Dude and SirIvyLeague like this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How many posters will rise up and say, "Chris Paul is making the wrong plays." vs protecting him like ESPN does to further an anti-Rockets media conspiracy by saying "MDA and Daryl are brainwashing Paul ... or Patrick Fertitta is behind all this."

Who will blame Paul vs continue a media conspiracy to protect Paul and blame Morey, Mike and Patrick?

like...non

17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

He'd score as often...he'd produce more though in output.

SIL

MorningZippo likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's the Preseason.

Repeat it with me everyone, "It's. The. Pre. Season."

I'm more worried about the transition defense than the shooting. They are working on their shots but I don't know about their defense.

19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Agreed, same goes for Harden..they need to get in the midrange to confuse the D.

SIL

Tha_Dude likes this.
  20. Tha_Dude

Harden can hit them all day long too.

Pen15clubber likes this.