1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm going to need the full story here

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Oct 11, 2017.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Of course they're being biased. The guy was seen on video attacking people. If one side gets arrested why shouldn' the other side. More
    garbage content from Huffington Dopes

3. zksb09

zksb09 Member

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Where are those videos?

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe the judge should have dismissed it right away. Hopefully, this victim can come in and clear his name then go home, or sue the person who made the charges against him.

6. wizkid83

Why the question was asked.....Please post source.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the counter-argument is you shouldn't ascribe too much significance to the warrant. It's not an indictment. Probably the court felt it needed to issue a warrant because a criminal complaint saying the guy started it was filed that checked all the boxes for probable cause. I'll wait until he spends a night in jail or gets indicted or something to be upset.

8. juicystream

There were several videos I watched yesterday, but this was the only attack I saw by him. This I believe was only seconds before he was beaten.

A felony charge seems excessive based on just that video.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Agreed. That's especially true considering he was facing armed antagonists.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

VA law allows for self-defense of others and also has a stand your ground law. From that video it appears that someone is attacking a companion of Harris with a flag pole and Harris then swings at him with something in his hand. From that yes I can accept that Harris might've injured that person but under VA law that seems pretty clear cut self-defense.

As for the mass-beating of Harris later on even if the original person who was struck by Harris claims self-defense back (one of the problems of Stand your ground) considering it was several individuals attacking a prone Harris that would be beyond a reasonable use of force proportional to self-defense.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. juicystream

I think the one guy was trying to take the flag (they had gotten one earlier in the rally and tried to burn it). I know in one of the links here the lawyer explained the incident. I don't remember the specifics, other than what he swings is a flashlight. I see at worst simple battery. I'm assuming given the public nature and the aftermath that charges will ultimately be dropped (and hope they are). What I know for sure is he paid far more than his crime already.

The other guys certainly can't claim self defense. Harris falls to the ground on the way into the parking lot, and is down for a short time before getting up and then starts getting beat down. It was pretty terrible.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the flashlight counts as a club, so that's probably the reason for the higher charge.

To me it looks like a bad person showed up to assault other bad people and ended up getting the worst of it, charge them all and throw the lot in prison where they belong.

13. wizkid83

Thanks for the video, should be a misdameanor at most for him. Ok with charging him though. If he gets charged more than a misdemeanor then it'll be another case of when the system broke.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

After looking at the laws on the books in North Carolina, if he's charged with a felony he could be looking at 6 years unless they say he had intent to kill and that would push it up to potentially 17 years.

A lot depends on if the person he hit suffered "serious bodily injury" and I don't think that's information we have.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Even if he is charged with a felony he can probably plead to a misdemeanor and get a slap on the wrist. That is, unless he has a violent criminal record.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well, since it looks like pretty clear cut self-defense, then it should be pretty easy to have the case dismissed against him, and shouldn't have been charged in the first place.

Those that ganged up on him and beat him, they should all face criminal charges.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I laugh at words like CLEAR CUT and SELF DEFENSE
    Dude is black
    His 'victims' are white

I have little to no expectation of justice
    The Bobbys of the world already lining up for jury duty to make sure he gets convicted

Rocket River

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he's guilty, and it certainly looks like he is, convicting him would BE justice.....how do you not get that? Is it a "team" issue?

19. wizkid83

Yeah I agree with you. Some people will think this is a felony instead of a misdemeanor because of.......reasons.

A lot of people bring up crime statistics and etc when discussing race. I'm interested in a break down of race x crime x sentencing statistics.

For example, the influenza kid was found guilty, but didn't have to go to jail, was allowed to go to college, and got immediate parole. A lot of disproportions could be coming from actual sentencing.

I.e. pct of assaults charged as misdemeanor vs. felony by race. Very curious

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well, it shouldn't be a misdemeanor either since it qualifies as self-defense in the State of VA. He shouldn't be found guilty of anything according to the law and the evidence we've seen on the video.