1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale doesn’t think James Harden is a leader

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Oct 6, 2017.

1. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Well Mcfail wasn't a real coach.

2. Nivos

Nivos Member

Im saying that Westbrook takes command. Its not always good for the team because when he's slacking, no one can tell him anything.
    Harden is a great player, and I'll take him and his personality over Westbrook any time. Because he's willing to get called off.
    When things get bad, I do think he tends to come into himself, kind of like Lebron did for many years.
    I think like Mchale, that if Harden will accept it, and I think he will, it will be beneficial to Harden as a player going forward, and to the team.

3. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

ESPN like clockwork

Espn and the rest of the media is trying to pit cp3 and harden againist each other. This is pathetic

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

leadership doesnt mean screaming at people...its a silly idea of leadership...to me james harden is a great leader of men...one of the greatest...

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Man, people are pulling out all the stops on fallacies in this thread!

• "Kevin McHale is salty" - that's probably true, but it has no relevance to whether his statement is true.
    • "Kevin McHale was a bad coach" - also probably true, but it has no relevance to whether his statement is true.
    • "Kevin McHale should have taught Harden to be a leader" - implies that Harden isn't a leader; so not a very effective defense.
    • "Leaders aren't born, they are molded" - impossible to prove, and historical evidence seems to suggest otherwise.
    • "Leadership doesn't mean screaming at people" - implies that the only reason Harden isn't a leader is because he is not aggressive.
    • "McHale has never won anything as a leader" - implies that he can't have an opinion on leadership
    • "Being a leader doesn't win you games" - oversimplification that doesn't address whether having a leader on the team helps you win games
    • "Having a leader in this league is overrated, talent rules" - unlikely to be true, given historical results. Most championship teams in interviews and memoirs point to at least one guy being a team leader through adversity. Also, see: Tracy McGrady and Dwight Howard.
    • "McHale is an idiot" - not relevant to whether his statement is true
    • "If Harden isn't a leader then are Kawhi, Durant, Westbrook, Curry or Davis?" - unclear, and not logically related
    • "The media is biased and scrutinizes Harden" - true, and not relevant to whether McHale's statement was correct

NEXT?

#85 napalm06, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    ElPigto, Os Trigonum and illwil29 like this.
  6. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

I don't see anything incorrect with Mchale's statement on James' leadership. I kind of believe it. Not everyone is a gifted leader. And I'm glad Chris Paul is that for us. I too think it'll help.

In regards to his criticism of Harden in general in the interview, I think he was right about James' defense, but let's also be fair Mchale. Your coaching was some of the worst stuff I've seen in a while. In every playoff series we lost, I could point to just as many errors (if not more) on you than it was on Harden. Combined, it led to a first round exit to a Blazers team we should have definitely beaten.

7. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Glad someone has the nuts to call out Harden. Does everyone have short term memory? Harden has proven ZERO when it matters, the playoffs. He has yelled @ teammates for BS. He is not a leader. He's a great player who folds when it matters. It happens every damn year. Hero ball, no defense and waiting for a whistle. TG CP3 is here, dude is a warrior (no pun)

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lol. Why the hell are you pulling me in a 2 year old conversation? I never said Harden couldn’t or shouldn’t play alongside CP3. I said he shouldn’t play alongside Ricky Freaking Rubio.

The best playmaker will have ball in their hands almost all the time. When they do, the other guard better be able to shoot. Ricky can’t. Chris Paul can. Harden can shoot too as CP3 is one of two or three NBA players who are on par with or better than Harden in ways.

Go look up my posts from years ago. I recall saying unless the Rockets are trading from someone like Lebron, the ball will be in Hardens hands.

But go create the narrative you need to feel like you won an argument from 3 years ago. **** and **** fan logic. Just wait long enough and eventually enough things will happen to craft a narrative where you can say “I was right!”

9. rocketseagles07

No you don't have to yell to be a leader. KAT is an example of that. The warriors two best players aren't their leader. What Paul Pierce said was true and there was nothing wrong with it. All he said was that the best player isn't always necessarily the leader and that Chris Paul will help him with it if that is the case.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kevin McFail "leadership" tactics

[​IMG]

And when it doesn't work out

[​IMG]

RocketsTruth, hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

napalm_black thinks Harden is a bad leader and has now gone on a confirmation bias crusade.

34to11 and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Ball got sticky. Told them to play harder *clap clap*. We got nothin'.

McHale & B.J. Rickerstaff - Failure 1A & 1B. Losers! Sad!

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kevin McFail: " I don't know what to do' (while shaking his head)
    BJ Brewerstaff: " We are ****ing hyper-ventilating out there"

LOL. It was a clown show

Maybe part of the continued urbanization of the Toyota Center experience. You get to watch basketball and a clown show. 2 in 1 deal

DonKnock and J.R. like this.
  14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I don't see what the big deal is, tbh.

1. Harden openly admits he hasn't always been the most vocal leader.
    2. McHale was never a great coach and still seems salty.

Both can be true. The veracity of one proposition does not necessarily undermine the veracity of the other.

15. rocketseagles07

BTW lmaooooo @ holic. I can't wait to see the jazz put up less than 98 ppg this year. Then you can explain to us why the Point Gawd Wicky Wubio doesn't have them performing at an elite level.

#95 rocketseagles07, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

will never understand how les and morey thought it wise to entrust their roster to these 2 epic morons

kevtse and J.R. like this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

All the more important that we traded for Chris Paul. He checks all the leadership boxes. Now the question is will Harden follow his lead or undermine him. That is the most important thing to watch for this season.

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Mchale was one of my sources as well. Dude always texting me lol

rocketseagles07 and J.R. like this.
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

They are both true, but you have the additional issue that Harden was under McHale's tutelage during the years he was learning how to become the franchise guy yet McHale seemingly accepts no responsibility for doing a poor job at moulding Harden.

You know who's not a vocal leader?

Kawhi Leonard, the guy barely talks yet no one questions his vocal leadership. Why? because its pretty obvious that Pop is the leader over there.

Harden displayed significant growth in his leadership abilities last year under MDA. Why? Because MDA is good at moulding players, empowering them, and giving them confidence by having their back.

A good leader doesn't throw their guys (or girls) under the bus, they take responsibility and work to improve. Harden has done that, when will McHale?

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

No, this is fair. My post was more in response to your quoting of napalm's than to you directly -- just don't understand the mentality that whatever Harden might lack in vocal leadership should shield the source (McHale) from criticism.

don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.