1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale doesn’t think James Harden is a leader

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Oct 6, 2017.

1. rocketseagles07

This! And I still agree McHale is salty af!

2. Nivos

Nivos Member

Not saying that the media coverage of Harden is fair but what Mchale said was absulutely right.
    Not every best player on the team is a leader. Durant is not a leader and still is the 2nd best player on the leauge.
    Actually there was an interesrting Zach Lowe podcast with Sam Walker (WSJ) from a few weeks back about leadership and Walker claimed that most time the leaders are not the best players on their team. Im kinda agreeing with that. On the big 3 era in Miami Wade was the definite leader, even if Lebron was in control of the ball.
    In OKC Westbrook is the leader, always was. Its just a personality thing, and its not always a good thing when your best player is the leader.
    Like Mchale said, I think its a good thing that Paul will tell Harden off when he's slacking. Its on Harden to accept it, and I think he will.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mchale shows no class going there. we all know there's some truth to harden not being the ideal leader, and he's even said so himself in interviews many times. but mchale seems to relish every opportunity he gets on camera to rain hate on harden. i wonder if he's always been so small or he just picked it up from lynn over the years.

split41, Drogba, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Leadership comes in a many forms. And it is not all or nothing. Harden might not be the best leader, but he has exhibited leadership on this team. An example are the off-season workouts and get-togethers. Is Harden as strong "and vocal" a leader as Chris Paul? No, but not many are.
    But I think it is a bit harsh to say Harden isn't a leader or show any leadership.

Just my two cents.

5. rocketseagles07

You guys that always bring up Westbrook sound like political parties when they bring up what the former president did. We aren't talking russ. And if you must know I've nerve seen a game where I thought damn, Russ really QUIT on his squad. Most fans will defend a bad game over quitting any day

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

James Harden did not think McHale was a good coach either, that was why he was fired.

7. Progs

Progs Member

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Does anyone think that Gregg Popovich would have any trouble getting Harden to play defense?

Milk Hair sucks....

9. rocketseagles07

And this is very true as well. Being liked is extremely beneficial and I think guys like James. If they didn't they wouldn't be itching to come and play with us. Like others said leadership isn't for everybody.

I honestly think James is more of a front runner type of leader. When things are going good he's all in, all team, etc. Its when he faces adversity or things go bad that I think he doesn't handle the best. Still my guy though

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

[clap] [clap] - Leadership

DonKnock likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think a fair criticism. And area he can and I believe will get better at. And having Chris Paul here will help in a mentor type role in that aspect.

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I can't manage to get worked up over this. I don't think James is great at vocal leadership and he's even acknowledged that himself over the years. I also think he's self-aware and that it's part of the reason he wanted CP3 here. Chris can dog guys about defense with credibility and won't be shy about doing it. I think/hope his brand of leadership and James' should mesh nicely in the locker room.

That said, I do think McHale is still salty. He seems more bothered than MJax does about the Warriors at this point, which is funny.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

^^^^ Another mcFail fan who is confused: Exhibit #2

14. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

they didnt like westbrook the year before. They just hate harden more than they hate westbrook, neither are promoted as much as curry

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

So you have no idea if Westbrook will share the ball or if it will hurt his team that he plays no defense, but he screams and makes funny faces so he must have it figured out.

Gotcha.

Drogba and hakeem94 like this.
  16. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

the media would kill harden if he said that, despite playing the most minutes of any player the past 3 years

Drogba and DonKnock like this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

BOTTOMLINE: Kevin McFAIL IS NOT A Leader

This dumbass, moronic coach got a young, budding James Harden and had the chance to mould him into a leader but instead sat by the sidelines dwiddling his fingers, scratching his head, clap clapping, talking about sticky and no juice, and letting James do anything he wanted with no repercussions. Then James had it that way for too many years, got in a comfort zone and when Milk hair finally tried to inject some leadership, he was sacked.

I BLAME doofus KEVIN MCFAIL for not developing James Harden as a leader.

Don't give me this BS that all leaders are born. You can definitely be moulded into a leader.

kevtse, split41, Drogba and 4 others like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well put.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

How many games have you seen where you thought "Wow Westbrook shot them right out of that"?

Westbrook has a poor leadership style by modern leadership metrics. I broke this down in a thread last season, might have to go dig it up.

Rocket River, heypartner and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

McHale has NEVER won anything as a leader. He's a good motivator and mentor.

All he does is walk in a limp, trot out the rings Larry Bird won, and then tell them to play harder.

Rocket River and don grahamleone like this.