1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Deontay Wilder bandwagon thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KingCheetah, Aug 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

EVERYONE ^ should listen to you, KingCheetah. They know you know your boxing iSht. :eek:

FOOTAGE from his previous bouts:
    [​IMG]

:grin:

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. Beavis Stiffler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

still don't know about wilder. i thought the fight was pretty close before the KO. wilder was getting outworked/outboxed by a guy he should dominate.

but what makes wilder interesting is that he has legit power. that alone will always keep him in fights. his size is also saving him in these fights. still seems raw, not sure if hes been improved since the Stiverne fight. its too bad he stared boxing late, if he grew up boxing like a lot of the greats did, Wilder would have been a monster.

The Heavyweight division is really heating up. Lets hope Wilder can get past Povetkin (really tough fight) and Fury takes care of Klitschko. Wilder-Fury hype already building

5. KingCheetah

Deontay Wilder not shortchanging Arreola

It’s not the fight he expected, but Deontay Wilder didn’t want to waste all the work he had put in for his May 21 WBC heavyweight title defense against Alexander Povetkin in Moscow which was postponed after Povetkin tested positive for steroids.

Instead, Wilder gets to stay home and defend his belt against Chris Arreola on July 16 in Birmingham, Alabama. The fight will be part of the Premier Boxing Champions series and will be televised by Fox and Fox Deportes.

“Things happen. This is boxing. It is a business,” said Wilder (36-0, 35 knockouts). “The saying is, ‘One door closes and another one opens.’ This is a prime example of that. This opportunity is opened wide.

link

6. Beavis Stiffler

Saturday night's fight will be interesting. I don't know what kind of fighter Arreola will show up, is he the one who gets outboxed and outclassed by Klitschko or the one who destroyed Seth Mitchell and derailed his bandwagon/hype train? Remember what happened to Seth...........

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/06Zf1frA7aA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think Wilder is going to end up like Mitchell. I predict Wilder wins via TKO.

7. KingCheetah

Fight tonight on Fox.

8. KingCheetah

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

1st off, credit to Wilder for continuing on with a broken hand and torn bicep after the 4th rd. Not easy to do and he used the left well enough to jab Arreola into submission. He did what he had to do and used his reach well enough against the shorter Arreola while also taking his time and opening him up with the jab.

Now the critique

None of the above has changed. I get that Wilder was trying to channel his inner Ali and he was fighting a much older and shorter opponent but mannnn, he will get sorted against the other champions right now. All of whom have similar size and are more skillful.

I think Lennox said Anthony Joshua isn't ready for Wilder yet but I really think Joshua is actually ready. Despite Wilder having had more fights than Joshua so far, Joshua will be able to make Wilder pay for the deficiencies we see each fight, and come out on top.

10. KingCheetah

Wilder's next fight is on Fox February 25th - - hopefully his opponent won't get popped for PEDs like the last two.

11. KingCheetah

Late update -- Wilder with another KO -- I really want to see him fight some top competition in his next fight. Definitely not his fault but no reason now for him not to fight another HW champion in his next match up.

12. KingCheetah

WBC president: World waiting for Deontay Wilder vs. Anthony Joshua unification

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman says his world governing body will support a world heavyweight title unification fight between Deontay Wilder and the winner of Anthony Joshua-Wladimir Klitschko.

WBC champion Wilder last fought in February -- a fifth-round stoppage of Gerald Washington -- and Sulaiman says he is next due to make a mandatory and sixth defence against Bermane Stiverne, who he won the belt off in Jan 2015.

American Wilder (38-0, 37 KOs), 31, was last week charged with second-degree misdemeanour mar1juana possession in his home state of Alabama and released on a $1,000 bond.

"I believe it's a must that we have more unification fights in boxing," Sulaiman told ESPN. "Because there are so many champions, a good champion can run out of contenders.

"Wilder and Joshua is a must. I think the world be waiting for that fight and I don't see anyone beating either of them.

"Wilder has a mandatory [defence] and we are looking into that as we speak. Bermane Stiverne is the mandatory.

"We are all for it [Wilder versus Joshua]. If both fighters are available for that unification we will be in complete support of seeing it."

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...-deontay-wilder-vs-anthony-joshua-unification

13. KingCheetah

Yung-T likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

KingCheetah likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nov 4th is still taking place, opponent will be Stiverne. Guy has been inactive for two years and is still mandatory challenger, wtf is up with that?

16. KingCheetah

Deontay Wilder calls out Anthony Joshua: Fight or shut up

Deontay Wilder has laid down the gauntlet to Anthony Joshua insisting he will dethrone the IBF and WBA champion if he is up for the challenge of facing him in 2018.

Joshua (20-0, 20 KOs) remained undefeated after his 10th round KO of Carlos Takam in October, with Wilder (39-0, 38 KOs) claiming a first-round knockout over Bermane Stiverne last weekend.

Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said after the Takam bout that he wanted his prize fighter to box three times in 2018, and mentioned Wilder and Joseph Parker among the possible challengers.

Wilder called out Hearn and Joshua on social media Tuesday, insisting he would be heavyweight champion of the world, if Joshua will accept the fight.

"Anthony Joshua, you know I am coming for you," said Wilder who wants the fight to happen next year.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...ilder-insists-dethrone-ibf-wba-anthony-joshua

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well....i read a long article yesterday saying this fight was fixed.

It was a really theatrical fix. I cant tell if it was or wasn't.

18. KingCheetah

Wilder drops Ortiz in 10th round to defend title
    Nearly finished in the seventh round, Deontay Wilder stormed back and scored a sensational knockout of Luis Ortiz in the 10th to retain his heavyweight title for the seventh time Saturday at Barclays Center.

19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Wilder fights like an elite Barstool Sports Rough N Rowdy competitor.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

If he didn't KO Ortiz in that 10th, Ortiz was on his way to getting robbed by the judges.

All three judges need their heads checked or their bank accounts checked because they had Wilder up on the scorecards. Madness.

Great grit to see from Wilder and of course power but other than that....